Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:47 AM

170 posts, read 826,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
But it wasn't even a slur...last I checked, "gay" is not a slur. And the word had a different meaning long before it was stolen by homosexuals.
Gay isn't a slur when you're referring to gay people.
Gay is a slur when you are referring to something you see as weak, stupid, less-than, etc.

It's amazing how many people don't see this.

You don't typically hear people saying things like, "That's so black," or "that's so Jewish" when referring to things they consider less-than. Everyone has kind of figured out that it's not okay. You do often hear people say, "That's so retarded." Equally offensive.

Same when you use gay in a derrogatory way. Don't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 08:54 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickasarbata View Post
Gay is a slur when you are referring to something you see as weak, stupid, less-than, etc.

You don't typically hear people saying things like, "That's so black," or "that's so Jewish" when referring to things they consider less-than. Everyone has kind of figured out that it's not okay. You do often hear people say, "That's so retarded." Equally offensive.

But I think if you look at the context in which it was used, it was just a light-hearted joke. He even said not "homosexual gay." I'm half-Irish, and I don't get offended by the old Irish drunk stereotype, even though we're bombarded with it around St. Patrick's Day, as if being Irish equates to being an alcoholic. People need to learn to take a joke and move on, life is short, is it worth wasting time being offended even if it is a serious insult?

"Sticks and stones may break my bones...."

Old 10-14-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
But I think if you look at the context in which it was used, it was just a light-hearted joke. He even said not "homosexual gay." I'm half-Irish, and I don't get offended by the old Irish drunk stereotype, even though we're bombarded with it around St. Patrick's Day, as if being Irish equates to being an alcoholic. People need to learn to take a joke and move on, life is short, is it worth being all offended vene if it is a serious insult.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones...."
I get what you're saying. I saw the trailer and didn't find it offensive... I can recognize the difference between a hurtful comment and a joke by a dumb actor.

But, according to what you say, I'm assuming you would also support using phrases like, "That's so black," and "That's so Jewish." Right? And people should just learn to take a joke. I hope so, because there should be no difference between making jokes about black people, Jews or gays. It should be equal-opportunity joking. Right?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:

But, according to what you say, I'm assuming you would also support using phrases like, "That's so black," and "That's so Jewish." Right? And people should just learn to take a joke. I hope so, because there should be no difference between making jokes about black people, Jews or gays. It should be equal-opportunity joking. Right?
Sure, why not? Nobody can take a joke these days. Maybe people don't say "that's so Jewish," but when people get ripped off, sometimes they say that they got "jewed."

Are people really going to let a stupid line in a movie ruin their lives? Like I said, life is too short.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Gay also means lame. Get used to it because it's here to stay.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
And it used to mean happy!

I was reading an older book to my son one night that used the word gay, and he asked me what it meant, I told him "happy" but that its not really used anymore. I didn't want him going to school and if he was in a happy mood saying "I feel gay today!"

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 10-14-2010 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:

Maybe we should take you out to mamby-Pamby land so you can find some self-confidence. Jackwagon

Old 10-14-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Maybe we should take you out to mamby-Pamby land so you can find some self-confidence. Jackwagon
Is mamby-Pamby land free from people like you? If so, take me there on the first boat.

I am very self-confident. I also mentioned (if you bothered to read the whole thread) that the comment in the movie trailer didn't bother me. I get that it was a joke and not meant to be hurtful.

That doesn't mean using words for minorities in a derrogatory way is okay. People who use them and think it's okay to use them generally end up looking like great big... jackwagons.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
As Go Phillies mentioned, gay did use to mean happy. It still does. If people want to express their happiness by calling themselves gay, they're correct.

However, gay does not also mean lame, my friend. A dictionary will confirm that. People use the word gay to talk about things they think are lame.

Do you see the difference?

Old 10-14-2010, 02:16 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Is mamby-Pamby land free from people like you? If so, take me there on the first boat.

I am very self-confident. I also mentioned (if you bothered to read the whole thread) that the comment in the movie trailer didn't bother me. I get that it was a joke and not meant to be hurtful.

That doesn't mean using words for minorities in a derrogatory way is okay. People who use them and think it's okay to use them generally end up looking like great big... jackwagons.
but you failed to get my joke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies