Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:44 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You NJ people are really humoring me on this thread. I never realized that "The Sopranos" really was very real. What was the movie about the NJ town with all the corrupt cops from the NYC system that Sylvester Stallone starred in? It is just impossible to even think that much corruption could be in existence, anywhere.
Cop Land directed by James Mangold also starred Harvey Keitel, Robert DeNiro, Ray Liotta, Robert Patrick, Janeane Garafalo, Peter Berg, Michael Rappaport, Annabela Sciorra and Cathy Moriarity in addition to Stallone. Great flick! The fake town was Garrison, NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:22 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
You obviously don't know NJ. When the Feds run a corruption bust, they actually bring in a bus to round up NJ's machine politicians.

Read "The Soprano State". It's not on the library's fiction shelf.

We out-Chicago Chicago.
And of course there are a whole new set of machine politicians waiting in the wings to take their place.

Growing up in NJ, I was never shocked at stories of political corruption. We thinking "politician" and "corruption" are synonyms here.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You NJ people are really humoring me on this thread. I never realized that "The Sopranos" really was very real. What was the movie about the NJ town with all the corrupt cops from the NYC system that Sylvester Stallone starred in? It is just impossible to even think that much corruption could be in existence, anywhere.
Are you kidding? I don't know if it still exists, but about 20 years ago UCLA's law school offered a course on Hudson County, NJ, politics as a study in corruption. The corrupt political machine of Hudson County can be traced back to the 19th century. Hudson County is one of the most urban and populated areas of New Jersey, and includes Jersey City, Hoboken, and Bayonne.

I realized a few years ago that there were certain "facts" I took for granted living in Jersey that apparently don't apply to everyone else. For example, I was having a forum conversation with someone from California about something going on with trucking in their state, and I made what seemed to me to be the factual remark that the trucking industry is run by the mob. This person protested about my saying that, and I was genuinely surprised to find that this isn't true all over the country. Same with the garbage industry and scrap, etc. They are traditionally mob-backed businesses.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I love NJ! I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. The corruption is maddening, but I secretly find it entertaining. There was a website some local citizen set up and when you entered it a sign pop up that said: Hoboken, where one third of our last three mayors have not been indicted!
I used to live in West Paterson in the 1980's. There had been the same mayor for 28 years, and when someone finally ousted him, all of a sudden there were these condo construction projects popping up all over town. They used to send out a West Paterson newsletter with a picture of the mayor and council all sitting around a table. It looked like a scene from the Godfather--overfed Italian men in dark suits. I didn't think much of it, but the next thing you know the mayor had been brought up on charges of collusion with contractors. He was charged and not found guilty, I believe, but he lost the next election. A few years later he pops up as the new mayor in my sister's town, about thirty miles away.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
I am so glad the right-wing conspiracy web sites still hold great value in your daily lives. Keep on rocking.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to live in West Paterson in the 1980's. There had been the same mayor for 28 years, and when someone finally ousted him, all of a sudden there were these condo construction projects popping up all over town. They used to send out a West Paterson newsletter with a picture of the mayor and council all sitting around a table. It looked like a scene from the Godfather--overfed Italian men in dark suits. I didn't think much of it, but the next thing you know the mayor had been brought up on charges of collusion with contractors. He was charged and not found guilty, I believe, but he lost the next election. A few years later he pops up as the new mayor in my sister's town, about thirty miles away.
When I lived in jersey city our mayor Gerry Mccaan was carted of to jail. Years later he wanted to run for mayor. The NJ supreme court ruled he couldn't since he was still in jail!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:00 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
I feel confident that not all of New Jersey is representative of these instances but I am just finding this thread so darn fascinating! I especially love the one about the candidate that couldn't run because he was still in jail. I know this is silly but it reminds me of those Stephanie Plum novels. She is unabashed in her love of New Jersey. Thanks for making me smile today.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:25 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I am so glad the right-wing conspiracy web sites still hold great value in your daily lives. Keep on rocking.
Wrong thread. This thread is about NJ's unbelievably corrupt political machines.

As told by NJ'ians, the courts, US Justice Dept, investigative reporters, wiretaps, witnesses for the prosecution..........

Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Cop Land directed by James Mangold also starred Harvey Keitel, Robert DeNiro, Ray Liotta, Robert Patrick, Janeane Garafalo, Peter Berg, Michael Rappaport, Annabela Sciorra and Cathy Moriarity in addition to Stallone. Great flick! The fake town was Garrison, NJ.
That is surely the movie. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Wrong thread. This thread is about NJ's unbelievably corrupt political machines.

As told by NJ'ians, the courts, US Justice Dept, investigative reporters, wiretaps, witnesses for the prosecution..........
I think I must get my old Army buddy who has lived all his life in Hamilton to get here so he can read this thread. He says that nothing about corruption that has been said is in any way wrong. He will get a kick out of it since he is something of a minor historian at his county library.

You people have managed to entertain me a bunch about New Jersey politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies