Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 04:36 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
These fluorescent bulbs are dying more quickly then the incandescent bulbs. I'm not a big fan.

Fluorescent bulbs:

1. cost more, and burn out even quicker in some cases

2. for each burned out bulb I have to create more CO2 to drive my car to buy a new bulb

3. I have to drive my car to drop off the dead fluorescent bulbs, which burns more gas and creates more CO2

4. The trucks who deliver the bulbs to the store i buy them from has to make more trips

5. The truck that picks up the old mercury infected bulbs also burns more gas

6. Not to mention the damage to the environment that is being done in order to obtain all the components required to make fluorescent bulbs in the first place.

But hey, it makes the tree huggers feel just as giddy and useful as they did when they mandated that MTBE be used in gasoline. Freaking idiots!
I guess every well stocked home bunker should have camo curtains, half ton of ammo and a couple cases of black market 100W bulbs next to the spam and top ramen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 05:08 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Thats another thing... I'm pretty environmentally conscious and while I might not be a tree hugger, I don't want to pee in the well either. We are trading energy efficiency (to save on CO2 pollution) for a different horrible pollutant and to me that isn't much of a step in the right direction. As someone else pointed out, that "bluish" light bugs the heck out of me and while I might even tolerate that, I can't use a dimmer on the darn things. Seriously, its a polished pile of poo but its still poo
I think of a place like Los Angeles, on the day we all have electric cars and these fluorescent bulbs.

How many millions of bulbs each year will that be that may end up going into the landfills, with 1 gram of mercury each. I'm thinking a few hundred thousand grams a year, if not more.

The same goes for car batteries. If every car has 600-900 pounds of batteries, and if the batteries last about 5 years before they need replacing, how many millions of tons of batteries will that be ending up either in the landfills or being trucked to and from the recycle centers?

It will not just be electric car batteries that are in need of new batteries due of end of service life. It will also be all the car dealerships who will be discarding older batteries and installing new ones, in order to sell used cars. No one wants to pay good money for a car, only to have to change the batteries in a year or two.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think of a place like Los Angeles, on the day we all have electric cars and these fluorescent bulbs.

How many millions of bulbs each year will that be that may end up going into the landfills, with 1 gram of mercury each. I'm thinking a few hundred thousand grams a year, if not more.

The same goes for car batteries. If every car has 600-900 pounds of batteries, and if the batteries last about 5 years before they need replacing, how many millions of tons of batteries will that be ending up either in the landfills or being trucked to and from the recycle centers?

It will not just be electric car batteries that are in need of new batteries due of end of service life. It will also be all the car dealerships who will be discarding older batteries and installing new ones, in order to sell used cars. No one wants to pay good money for a car, only to have to change the batteries in a year or two.
We could always load up all the burned out bulbs and batteries and ship it all back to China where it came from.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:42 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
CFLs use about 1/4 the power incandescents use. Why can't Americans start making CFLs?

Old 10-10-2010, 05:55 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I'm in the technology end of the entertainment and political/corporate events, business. Industrial use LEDs are quite powerful with varied uses and applications in the industry. You can filter LEDS to give you any color light you want. I also wonder why the technology hasn't crossed over to commercial/consumer usage.
Oh? Do LEDs on cars not count as consumer usage?

Many jobs have moved, and many more jobs will inevitably move from every corner of the globe to China or elsewhere anyway, with or without legislation. Free market > government.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Oh? Do LEDs on cars not count as consumer usage?

Many jobs have moved, and many more jobs will inevitably move from every corner of the globe to China or elsewhere anyway, with or without legislation. Free market > government.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. When I was talking consumer use I meant for household usage. Replacing all standard light bulbs with LEDs if the technology were there would go a long way in curbing American's home energy consumption. I question why the major American manufacturers have lagged in this technology. Frankly, if a comparible LED were available at the same price and performance as incadescent bulbs I'd replace mine in a new york minute. Even if they were made in China.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:37 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
My eyes can't stand fluorescent lighting. LED's are worse. Fine for flashlights and such but, I couldn't read by one. My favorite electric lights are carbon filament bulbs (not bright but a soft light).

But I'll just continue using gas, oil and kerosene lamps.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:45 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Just another example of the stupid, ridiculous policies from the dems/Left, that have real BAD unintended consequences.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Just another example of the stupid, ridiculous policies from the dems/Left, that have real BAD unintended consequences.
I ask in all sincerity. What BAD unintended consequences?

Old 10-10-2010, 06:52 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The bill was passed in 2007 with big majorities (had Republican support) in both houses and was signed by Bush.

Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The revised Senate bill passed 86-8 on December 13. The House approved this final version 314-100 on December 18, and President Bush signed it the following day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies