Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:02 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
What right did the British have to decide when and how land that both Palestinians and Jewish people live on should be divided? What right did the United Nations have? One of the unfortunate vestiges of colonialism was the creation of nations, and territories that consisted of people that were culturally, or historically incompatible or ill-suited to live in together got thrown together as nations. The result has been a series of wars and internal conflicts in Asia, Africa, and the Middle East for the last 60 years.

The bottom line is this; NO negotiation was ever done to acknowledge, resolve and compensate Palestinians for the land, possessions, and businesses they lost. The modern state of Israel is a creation of the British, The United Nations and Zionist Jewish people. It was a land grab pure, plain and simple. Until the grievances of the Palestinian people are resolved in a equitable fashion there will NEVER be peace in the region. Israel is an armed camp and will remain so until this is resolved. Like I said in an earlier post either there is a compromise reached or Israel gets destroyed or Israel destroys any Arab military threat to its existence. This is the ONLY way this plays out.

Do not blame the Arab people for not acknowledging Israel's right to exist.
The bottom line is that until the Palestinians and all the Arab nations surrounding Israel acknowledge Israel's right to exist, there will be no peace in the region.
Israel will not disappear and the Israeli Jews have rights to the land as the Jews have been living in the area since Biblical times.
Both sides need to recognize the other side's right to exist.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:17 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Like hell it was.

Your posts are beginning to sound more and more like anti-Semitic bull****. You want the Jews to compensate the "Palestinians" so bad, then why don't you demand that the surrounding Arab states compensate the Jews while you're at it, hmm? I suspect I know the answer to that one.

Ignore.
There were more Jews ejected by Arab regimes then there were Arabs that left Israel. And these Jews literally ran for their lives. Many were murdered. They ran away with nothing but the shirts on their backs. Their land, their homes, all their property left behind.
But not a peep has ever been heard from the UN. Where are all the committees, the investigations?
Why don't the Israel bashers on this thread care about these people? (Or, for that matter, any of the millions of people who are truly starving or being massacred in the world)? Why only the "Palestinian People" (btw, a fabricated "people")?

Old 10-12-2010, 06:26 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The bottom line is that until the Palestinians and all the Arab nations surrounding Israel acknowledge Israel's right to exist, there will be no peace in the region.
Israel will not disappear and the Israeli Jews have rights to the land as the Jews have been living in the area since Biblical times.
Both sides need to recognize the other side's right to exist.
"Both sides need to recognize the other side's right to exist"
You won't get that acknowledgement from the bashers on this thread. The OP and those of that ilk deny Israel's right to exist. The title of the thread is meant to delegitimize Israel's existence.
It's the Hamas-Hezbollah crowd here.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:47 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Israel losing its appeal for Jews
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2010/1018/re6.htm

So Jews are leaving Israel in favor of going back to Russia?

Of course this was even before recent legislation in Israel in which religious leaders get to determine "what a real Jew is" and restrictions on who can convert to Judaism and methods used.

So if the Russians are so intolerant of Jews, then Israel must be really intolerant, otherwise why on earth would Jews want to move to such a horrid place?

UNHCR | Refworld | Russia: Situation and treatment of Jews, state protection and support services Here is s hint of why some are returning to Russia

"Several sources indicate that some Russian Jews who emigrated from Russia to Israel, the US, or other Western countries, are returning to Russia for job opportunities (Reuters 26 Feb. 2008; MRGI n.d.; US 25 Feb. 2009, Sec. 2)."

And why they probably won't stay.

"Sources indicate that anti-Semitism remains a serious problem in Russian society (US Sept. 2008, Sec. 3; MBHR 2008). According to a public opinion poll in 2007, 17 percent of respondents did not want Jews as work colleagues and 28 percent did not want Jews to become members of their family (MBHR 2008)."

It is silly to argue that Russia does not have a long history of anti-semitism and progroms.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:20 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It is silly to argue that Russia does not have a long history of anti-semitism and progroms.
I never said Russia didn't have a problem as I'm well aware of the problems being some of my people left Russia for these reasons. Care to point out where I argued that Russia didn't have a history of anti-semitism?

Old 10-12-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I never said Russia didn't have a problem as I'm well aware of the problems being some of my people left Russia for these reasons. Care to point out where I argued that Russia didn't have a history of anti-semitism?

Post 59, you equated Russia and Israel as being equally bad for russian Jews, which is silly on its face.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Post 59, you equated Russia and Israel as being equally bad for russian Jews, which is silly on its face.
Because you say it is silly? There are 264,000 Russian Jews who might disagree with you for the following reason. In Israel there are far more strict rules on marriage and they do not even recognize many Russian Jews as Jews according to Orthodox tradition.

Quote:
Some 264,000 people in Israel, most of them from the former Soviet Union, are not recognized as Jews according to the Israel Religious Action Center's figures.
Government to support non-Jewish civil marriage law - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Further down in the article

Quote:
"Instead of letting them integrate into Israeli society, the initiative places them in a ghetto, further isolating them from society. For this miserable reform, the prime minister expanded the Chief Rabbinate's powers in conversion procedures,"

Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
That's an extremely distorted view of historical fact.

If you want to look at ancient history, that land was ruled by Jews as a Jewish state for hundreds of years.

Brief History of of Palestine, Israel and the Israeli Palestinian Conflict: The Jewish Kingdoms of Ancient Judah and Israel

The archeological record indicates that the Jewish people evolved out of native Cana'anite peoples and invading tribes. Some time between about 1800 and 1500 B.C., it is thought that a Semitic people called Hebrews (hapiru) left Mesopotamia and settled in Canaan. Canaan was settled by different tribes including Semitic peoples, Hittites, and later Philistines, peoples of the sea who are thought to have arrived from Mycenae, or to be part of the ancient Greek peoples that also settled Mycenae.

According to the Bible, Moses led the Israelites, or a portion of them, out of Egypt. Under Joshua, they conquered the tribes and city states of Canaan. Based on biblical traditions, it is estimated that king David conquered Jerusalem about 1000 B.C. and established an Israelite kingdom over much of Canaan including parts of Transjordan. The kingdom was divided into Judea in the south and Israel in the north following the death of David's son, Solomon. Jerusalem remained the center of Jewish sovereignty and of Jewish worship whenever the Jews exercised sovereignty over the country in the subsequent period, up to the Jewish revolt in 133 AD.

And if you only want to look at the recent history, since around the time of its renewal as a Jewish state, the truth is much more complex and not quite as one-sided as you present.

Brief History of of Palestine, Israel and the Israeli Palestinian Conflict: Modern History

In Jerusalem, Arab riots broke out on November 30 and December 1 1947. Palestinian irregulars cut off the supply of food, water and fuel to Jerusalem during a long siege that began in late 1947. Fighting and violence broke out immediately throughout the country, including ambushes of transportation, the Jerusalem blockade, riots such as the Haifa refinery riots, and massacres that took place at Gush Etzion (by Palestinians) and in Deir Yassin (by Jews). Arab Palestinians began leaving their towns and villages to escape the fighting. Notably, most of the Arab population of Haifa left in March and April of 1948, despite pleas by both Jewish and British officials to stay.

. . .

In the initial stage, notable successes were scored by the Egyptian and Syrian armies. In particular, the Egyptians, backed by tanks, artillery, armor and aircraft, which Israel did not have, were able to cut off the entire Negev and to occupy parts of the land that had been allocated to the Jewish state. In his book, "In the Fields of Phillistia," Israeli peace activist Uri Avnery recounts how the Egyptian army attempted a massed armored strike against Tel Aviv. Palestinian attempts to set up a real state were blocked by Egypt and Jordan. Jordan kept to its agreement not to invade areas allocated to the Jewish state, but Syria and Egypt did not. The strike was turned back by a few recently arrived Messerchmitt aircraft, bought from Czechoslovakia. The Syrians made some advances into the territory that had been allotted to the Palestinian state.

I highly recommend you read the entire thing. Make sure you have time to get through it all and really absorb it -- it's long.
Let me clarify one thing. I don't give a damn about what happened in the Bible or what happened 10,000 years ago. I'm NOT interested in religious propaganda. I understand that the Israeils think that Palestine their land. I understand that the Palesitnian Arabs think Palestine is their land. I have a fundamental objection to outside forces under the guise of colonialism deciding how and to who Palestine should be partitioned to. That should have been an issue for Palestinian Jews and Palestinian Arabs to resolve. The fact the creation of Israel was basically manipulated by outside forces tainted the process. The result is what we have today which is a state of constant conflict. If both sides are not willing compromise then the only solution is a military conflict.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Because you say it is silly? There are 264,000 Russian Jews who might disagree with you for the following reason. In Israel there are far more strict rules on marriage and they do not even recognize many Russian Jews as Jews according to Orthodox tradition.

Government to support non-Jewish civil marriage law - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Further down in the article

Misleading again, the ghetto quote was someone's opinion. The marriage issue is hardly the same as the violence Jews face in Russia, again you are trying to equate the two, which is not only silly but off topic.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Misleading again, the ghetto quote was someone's opinion. The marriage issue is hardly the same as the violence Jews face in Russia, again you are trying to equate the two, which is not only silly but off topic.

I never the marriage issue was the same as violence, here is my quote

Quote:
So Jews are leaving Israel in favor of going back to Russia?

Of course this was even before recent legislation in Israel in which religious leaders get to determine "what a real Jew is" and restrictions on who can convert to Judaism and methods used.

So if the Russians are so intolerant of Jews, then Israel must be really intolerant, otherwise why on earth would Jews want to move to such a horrid place?
Do you understand the definition of "intolerance"? Does intolerance equate simply to violence? Now you are going to cry off topic when you brought it up?

Show me where I equated violence in Russia with the marriage laws, please.

oy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies