Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Make Drug Testing Mandatory for LI Welfare Recipients?
Yes 106 73.61%
No 38 26.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:34 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Meanwhile CEO are getting high on high price coke and still get substudies from the government but yet many say nothing. But let someone who worked their min wage butt off (but it's still not enough to get by w/o foodstamps) and come home and smoke a joint, all hell breaks loose!

BTW, I agree with JMKING wholeheartly! The only drug that they will ever find in the average job appliacant is hemp, all of the stuff that can harm a company or make them liable is cleared through their system in less than two days.
And if they can afford that hemp, they don't need my money to pay for their food! I don't care what anybody smokes, as long as its not on my dime! It even ticks me off when I see someone paying for their food with an Access card, but then laying down 50 bucks for a carton of cigarettes...

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 10-28-2011 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 01:09 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Look, here it is in black and white. The welfare system was created to provide people with basic needs of existence so that they would not starve to death. If someone is hard up through no fault of their own, I expect that they will be a good steward of my money. That is why I never give my money to a homeless guy. I know what they're going to do with it! Now, if someone who is hard up asks me for some help, I will offer to buy that person food. The people who take me up on my offer obviously wanted food... and so the fact I spent money on food and then gave them the food (rather than just giving them my money) doesn't bother them. It's the people who ACTUALLY want to buy booze and cigarettes who will turn the offer down.

I was a landlord for a couple of years, to a bunch of welfare recipients who still found ways to smoke, drink, and buy drugs. They constantly complained about not having enough money to pay the rent, or eat better than having rice & beans constantly... but somehow they always managed to scrape money together for cigarettes.

Here it is. If you receive money from the government in the form of a welfare check of any kind, the government should have the right to dictate that you not be a drug addict... just as a private company which would give you money in the form of a paycheck should have the right to dictate that you not be a drug addict. The people elect the government... I say we put it to a state-wide or nationwide vote. (State-wide for state benefits, nationwide for federal benefits.) "Do you favor a mandatory requirement that drug users should have to submit to random drug / alcohol / nicotine tests as a requirement for receiving welfare?" "Do you favor a lifetime ban on welfare for anyone who ever tests positive for drugs?"

I guarantee the vote would be an overwhelming "yes". No hard-working American wants his money to be legally robbed from him through taxation just so it can be redistributed, Obama-style, to people who will spend it on vices like drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, or going to "da club". Food and shelter, yeah, I can see that to an extent... even though I still say that'd be better left in the hands of private entities like churches as well (like it used to be).

Old 10-28-2011, 01:11 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Drug test the judges that lord over the poor that come before them. Some are tranked out and incoherant...some are on anti-depresants that remove the remorse over making a poor ruling - and some are on pain killers because they are old and suffering - all these substances cloud judgement...so don't pick on the poor - half the modern world is medicated.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:19 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Agree!!!

If in SG... most drug abusers would be hung... thus less crime.

Yes, USA needs more tough law (try the muslim law if the christian laws is too forgiving).... instead of having criminals & irresponsible child like adults run this country amok.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:25 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Agree!!!

If in SG... most drug abusers would be hung... thus less crime.

Yes, USA needs more tough law (try the muslim law if the christian laws is too forgiving).... instead of having criminals & irresponsible child like adults run this country amok.
Amusing... as a Christian, I can't say I'd favor Islamic law but you have to admit, it works. They talk about how Iran hanged over 300 people last year... well, crimes punishable by death in Iran include murder, armed robbery, rape, adultery, and drug trafficking.

In a country of 75,000,000 people, maybe 400 were convicted of these crimes in one year?

Man, there are many more such crimes every year in ONE major city in America! We'd do well to take a page from their playbook, in all honesty. Guaranteed, it will make the incidence of those heinous crimes drop dramatically.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:45 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Amusing... as a Christian, I can't say I'd favor Islamic law but you have to admit, it works. They talk about how Iran hanged over 300 people last year... well, crimes punishable by death in Iran include murder, armed robbery, rape, adultery, and drug trafficking.

In a country of 75,000,000 people, maybe 400 were convicted of these crimes in one year?

Man, there are many more such crimes every year in ONE major city in America! We'd do well to take a page from their playbook, in all honesty. Guaranteed, it will make the incidence of those heinous crimes drop dramatically.
Have you considered that perhaps the reason so many crimes (arrests) occur in the US these days is because we as a culture have criminalized more and more behaviors and activities - such as types of drug use? However, we've done this despite the fact that actual violent crime rates have dropped to the lowest levels in over 40 years.

In regards to the OP, the drug test fail rate for welfare applicants in Florida is currently 2%. When you factor the administrative costs and reimbursements to the applicants you'll see that the testing program is actually costing the state. So,even if you're so easy to disregard the privacy implications, it's clear doing this doesn't make fiscal sense. Frankly it's poor policy that doesn't stand up to scrutiny and seems to be nothing more than pandering to the social safety net hating political base and

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 10-28-2011 at 01:53 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 02:28 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
This thread has been moved from the Pennsylvania forum since it no longer has a Pennsylvania-centric angle.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:35 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Which nets little positive results. I would liken it to the "stupid factor" if one is tested positive. Why? When applying for jobs a smart drug addict will be clean. Also, most addicts don't bother working. Narcotics do not stay in the system long but pot does. To be realistic someone who smokes pot once in a while is not a threat to a company's bottom line but a opiate addict and or cocaine addict sure can. The latter two can be flushed from the body quickly. Also, there are unintended consequences that result in false positives that happen not a little bit but quite often. However, I think it is up to a company if they want to test. When it pertains to State governments then it becomes a little bit trickier because they have a constitution for the people, the rule of law that needs to be enforced otherwise one violation made legitimate can then lead to another violation etc.

Yep. It's always the pot heads that get caught! Yet is the least dangerous of them all, which is why I think drug tests are flawed as well as a violation of someone's privacy. You can blow lines on a Friday night, and pass a drug test on Tuesday! Personally if I were an employer I'd rather deal with a pot smoker (as long as he did it on his own time) than someone one who is into coke!

Old 10-28-2011, 02:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtknight View Post
Any thoughts on drug testing welfare recipient's. I have been following the case in Florida and think this is not only a great idea but can not believe a judge has blocked the law. I would like to see it enacted here in PA. Most jobs require drug testing. How can the ones paying taxes be test but the state use our taxes to pay people who do not have to be tested.
Waste of money. Not enough recipients come off the list to make up for the cost of the tests.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:57 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Didn't work out as they thought it would and it is costing te state big bucks. Dumb idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies