Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Make Drug Testing Mandatory for LI Welfare Recipients?
Yes 106 73.61%
No 38 26.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:11 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
These are not LI specific arguments.
Nassau has extremely low UI payouts compared to statewide.

This thread would certainly benefit being somewhere else.
You're correct. Is there a way I can change the title to remove LI?

Mods: if you can, please move to one of these cats if possible:
-Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
-True Crime
-Work and Employment
-Politics and other controversies
-Great Debates

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post

None of my jobs that I "actually earned money" at required it, and I said before I would not take a job that required it as part of my employment agreement.
Of course you wouldn't

Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Of course you wouldn't
Never said I did anything. It is one of my pet peeves: I don't pee on command.

And for those saying this is not LI specific, we've had MANY non-LI specific threads that the mods allowed here, for example, WG's Jewish holiday threads.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:37 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
You're right! the same worded thread is in Politics.
Geez. Relax Mom I thought people from Wading River were laid back and down to earth...guess I was wrong. They see something that bothers them - CALL THE LAW!

Old 10-13-2010, 12:01 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
What do you think about this idea?
Personally, I'm shocked at how quickly people are willing to give up their freedoms.

This is how the government slowly but surely takes away peoples' civil liberties. Get a certain amount of people hooked on handouts. Then start testing them for drugs. It won't be long before they're testing all of us for drugs.

The process for taking away liberties is always the same:

1. Problem (create a problem, exaggerate/hype a problem)
2. Reaction (the general public cries "Something must be done!")
3. Solution (which always involves more centralized power/control).

In the case of welfare recipients it goes like this:

1. Problem: Create problem by promoting "free love" (sex outside marriage ok; promote idea that single parent families don't harm kids. Promote the idea that drugs are fun and don't harm anyone). Then provide welfare to people who can't provide for themselves because they had kids out of wedlock and got addicted to drugs. On top of it all, welfare often exacerbates the sense of low expectations/self esteem people have for themselves by giving people something for nothing.

2. Reaction: The public gets mad that there is a growing underclass, especially in times of economic distress. So they cry "Something must be done!" and give away their liberties.

3. Solution: The power hungry elites who want to control our lives provide the 'solution' of drug testing welfare recipients, which increases their own power over us.

Of course, the drug testing won't stop with welfare recipients...just as it didn't stop with people working in transportation. The trend is always for more and more government control. It has a snowball effect. The more control the government gets, the easier it is to take even more.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-13-2010 at 12:35 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrockgower View Post
I'm all for personal liberties, except for those firmly attached to the government teet. You want benefits, you lose liberties - just like how many employers can randomly test their employees for drugs. However as I said the cost of the administration would be ridiculous. The government cannot do anything in a cost efficient manner.
I think they should just take away welfare and we should go back to supporting charity.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Saw a great quote the other day "If I need to be drug tested for my job, then you need to be drug tested to get welfare".
Yeah, that's how the government takes away more and more of our liberties. They divide people along social class lines so we all see each other as "the enemy". The middle class and wealthy want welfare recipients drug tested. The poor and the middle class want the rich to be taxed more. The real enemy is playing us off one another to get us to vote our rights away.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-13-2010 at 12:36 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
lol, canada

how is a voluntary welfare handout program with the stipulation that you submit to random drug testing an erosion of freedom?

Most jobs where you actually earn your money require it as part of your employment agreement.

If you don't use drugs why would it bother you?
Do you not see this is how the process of taking away liberties works .

Have you never heard of the concept of innocent until proven guilty? Clearly, with drug testing for employment being allowed, that concept is falling by the wayside.

Once we start giving away our freedoms in one area, it becomes easier to give them away in another. The majority won't notice until there's nothing left.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The Founders never envisioned a day where 1/3 of American citizens are dependent on the government for their daily needs.
Agreed. So get at the root of the problem and just get rid of welfare.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
We are not talking about the general public,.
Um, no. That's already happening since employers can test employees for drugs. That happened a while back in the 1980s. Do you really not think this won't be expanded further? If not, you don't understand how the totalitarian tiptoe works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies