Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:30 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times

Advertisements

This is a good article by Peter Beinart from the Daily Beast. Tom Donilon and Obama

I don't agree with Obama on much, but I am sick of the war in Afghanistan and it's time to wrap things up. I don't give a flying fig about the Afghans or their hell-hole backwater country. If they aren't going to make an effort to resist the Taliban themselves then the heck with it, lets get out of there. I don't care about the politics of a withdrawal or the problems it will create, this war is ridiculous and needs to end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 04:41 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
I enjoyed his synopsis.

Quote:
The White House believes the military brass is blind to America’s crushing financial constraints and the public’s eroding support for the war. The military believes the White House cares more about domestic politics than national security. The White House believes the military keeps screwing the president by telling reporters and Republicans that we need more troops for a longer time, thus forcing Obama’s hand.
Robert Gates is also at war with the Pentagon, and even though he is a former Bush compadre, I suspect he will get tossed under the bus by the war party.

Robert Gates: Taming the Pentagon - TIME

Old 10-11-2010, 06:29 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Until the 1980s, the offensive punch of smaller warships was limited to short-range guns. But now these ships pack Tomahawk cruise missiles, giving every destroyer, cruiser and attack submarine the ability to destroy targets well beyond the reach of carrier-based planes--without risking pilots. Distributing that firepower across 120 warships instead of concentrating it on America's 11 carriers makes sense.

Read more: Robert Gates: Taming the Pentagon - TIME

But, but, but....Daddy, they're sooo sexy.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:46 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,371 times
Hey, the guy doesn't want to hurt anyone over there or he'll have to go over an apologize to them!!

Old 10-11-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Read more: Robert Gates: Taming the Pentagon - TIME

While I can certainly see places where carriers have no alternative, this quote is just way too logical and makes way too much sense.

Good thing those carriers are only 13.8 billion a pop, otherwise the Tea Party might get upset about spending. (sorry, cheap shot even if true)

Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
ummmm.....

Now, you have gone and done it.

You, Sir, are now going to be accused of attempting to destroy the country from the inside. Just hand over the United States to the pinko commie bastards, why doncha? How dare you put a price tag on national security?

As an aside, there are times when I think we are but a few steps away from a government that shares power with the military. You know, like some of our neighbors do or have. I cannot recall a president that has been as outspoken as this one. The backlash tells me that the pentagon has been appeased for far too long. Here's to the MIC!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
ummmm.....

Now, you have gone and done it.

You, Sir, are now going to be accused of attempting to destroy the country from the inside. Just hand over the United States to the pinko commie bastards, why doncha? How dare you put a price tag on national security?

As an aside, there are times when I think we are but a few steps away from a government that shares power with the military. You know, like some of our neighbors do or have. I cannot recall a president that has been as outspoken as this one. The backlash tells me that the pentagon has been appeased for far too long. Here's to the MIC!
Too late, already received death threats for a piece I wrote back prior to our invasion of Iraq. Back then it was still very much, "Either you are with us or against us" and any dissent from that was viewed in the most harsh of terms.

Obama may be at odds with the Pentagon, however he is not favored in this battle. Military and Pentagon establishment forces tend to stick around far longer than Presidents and while I hope Obama, Gates and a few other minor players can make a dent, I'm not holding my breath.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Military and Pentagon establishment forces tend to stick around far longer than Presidents and while I hope Obama, Gates and a few other minor players can make a dent, I'm not holding my breath.
Well that's a fact, THE showdown will come just before the 2012 election when Obama's memo of understanding binding Patreaus and Mullen to the Afghan pull out comes due.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:

The Air Force, now dominated by fighter pilots is beyond itself with the thought that Gates and the administration see little use for man aircraft in the future.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:37 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Gates is a puppet. That's all he is. He went on national television to say that they are taking down the missle shield in Europe because there is no threat of long range missles from Iran. Well, that's nice if it was true. Not too long after that, the Pentagon released info that Iran DOES have long range missles. Gates came out and said those things under pressure by Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies