Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you believe in more?
Religion 21 20.79%
Science 80 79.21%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:17 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
4) Page 9 shows that people who dont believe in God or any kind of higher being are a minority in all European countries.
Response to the statement "I believe there is a God":

United Kingdom - 38%

France - 34%

Netherlands - 34%

Denmark - 31%

Sweden - 23%

The other statement is "I believe there is some sort of spirit or life force." But that is much more vague. What does it mean? It doesn't say anything about God. Even biological evolution can be considered a "life force."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 06:25 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Despite your knack for super long and pointless tyrades you are unable to provide any arguments that there is any conflict between science and religion in XXI century.
Oh my, oh my. And Tristann takes the awards for "Most Furious Backpedaling" and "Longest Move of the Rhetorical Goal Post."

The 21st century you say? That's certainly one way to try and glean a small victory from an otherwise comprehensive argumentative failure. Ignore the vast majority of human history and instead talk only about 12 measly years. Heck.. why not just insist that there isn't "any conflict between science and religion" this week? It would be as impressive an assertion.

And even then, you fail. The simple existence of the Discovery Institute objectively proves you wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann
You have some crazy anti-religious agenda and it shows. Academic institutions like renowned research university Notre Dame, coincidentally Catholic, prove you dead wrong and unless your academic credentials are far above Notre Dame.... which I honestly doubt, you lost this argument.
Oh... that's how you hallucinate arguments are won or lost? Not based on the actual content of the argument, but where you went to school?

As arguments ad verecundiam go, that one is certainly among the more pathetic.

Notre Dame is a fine institution. I know many excellent scholars who have graduated from the school. I also know idiots who can boast the same diploma on their office walls. And actually having family who on the faculty there, I am also aware that the religious character of the school is not even loosely connected with its accomplishments as a research university. It does in fact employ a very, very large number of heretics, agnostic and atheists.

And as to my own academic credentials... I prefer to allow my arguments to stand for themselves. And they do. But it is well known on this board that my undergraduate degree is from West Point. And we're not exactly known to be slouches.

As to your continuous impulse to put words into my mouth, set up straw men, and ascribe to me beliefs and motives I do not hold, you really need to get that under control. It will not improve your arguments, but it will at least make you a much more pleasant person to be around.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:32 PM

We live in a time when self-replicating RNA with evolution-like properties have been created in labs.

And people still think there is no conflict between religion and science, huh? Come on, let's get real.

Life As We Know It Nearly Created in Lab | LiveScience

Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 PM

248 posts, read 288,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Response to the statement "I believe there is a God":

United Kingdom - 38%

France - 34%

Netherlands - 34%

Denmark - 31%

Sweden - 23%

The other statement is "I believe there is some sort of spirit or life force." But that is much more vague. What does it mean? It doesn't say anything about God. Even biological evolution can be considered a "life force."
Not really. Not evolution and not gravitation.
This question was meant to establish if the person BELIEVES. Not is aware but BELIEVES in anything spiritual.
Spiritual versus rational. Wonder why they didnt ask if people "believed in science". Wait. This survey was for Europeans

You fail. Not one country with majority of non-believers. Just admit you have no clue what you are talking about.

Last edited by tristann; 04-21-2012 at 08:54 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
We live in a time when self-replicating RNA with evolution-like properties have been created in labs.

And people still think there is no conflict between religion and science, huh? Come on, let's get real.

Life As We Know It Nearly Created in Lab | LiveScience
No there is no conflict. Notre Dame is a respected research university. Catholic university. Do you see any conflict between science and religion here? Do you have better scientific credentials or just consider yourself a scientist because you judt renewed your subscription to Scientific American? Lol

Last edited by tristann; 04-21-2012 at 08:57 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And as to my own academic credentials... I prefer to allow my arguments to stand for themselves. And they do. But it is well known on this board that my undergraduate degree is from West Point. And we're not exactly known to be slouches.
Lol. Your degree, if you have any, is not much compared to Notre Dame standing in academia. How is it possible that a carholic university is so good, if, as you claim, there is a long standing conflict between religion and science? Lol

Old 04-21-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Lol. Your degree, if you have any, is not much compared to Notre Dame standing in academia.
Once again, you seem to be offering the idiotic assertion that arguments are won based on where you went to school. You may as well have picked some other arbitrary criterion. Maybe favorite Pokemon character... or penis length.

You have simply been unable to hold up your end of the argument. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann
How is it possible that a carholic university is so good, if, as you claim, there is a long standing conflict between religion and science? Lol
A huge endowment and liberal hiring criteria.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Once again, you seem to be offering the idiotic assertion that arguments are won based on where you went to school. You may as well have picked some other arbitrary criterion. Maybe favorite Pokemon character... or penis length.

You have simply been unable to hold up your end of the argument. Deal with it.

A huge endowment and liberal hiring criteria.
Lol. Your arguments are simply so week while your style is so pompous and arrogant that you come across as someone with very little or no education, who tries to prove otherwise.

Again. Besides your anachronistic claims there is no conflict between science and religion. Proof? Notre Dame - a very respected academic instution afiliated with the Catholic church.

God bless!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Lol. Your arguments are simply so week while your style is so pompous and arrogant that you come across as someone with very little or no education, who tries to prove otherwise.
If all you have are insults rather than substantive argument, why do you even bother to return?

For god's sake, man. Get a grip.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
You fail. Not one country with majority of non-believers. Just admit you have no clue what you are talking about.
The majority of people in the countries I listed don't believe in God, as those percentages show. That's the standard definition of non-believer or atheist.

But even going by the strict percentages of people who don't believe in a God or any spirit, they are much higher than in the U.S. That was my point. And that survey was done in 2005. What about going forward - 10 years from now, 20 years from now? You think the percentages of non-believers won't keep going up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies