Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you believe in more?
Religion 21 20.79%
Science 80 79.21%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Column: Science and religion aren't friends - USATODAY.com

I've always found religion and science to be incompatible with one another. I put my faith in science.
Saying "faith in science" doesn't make sense to me. Science isn't about belief, it's about coming up with hypotheses and testing them. It's about trying to find evidence in favor or against a hypothesis. It's not about choosing to believe X or Y, it's about finding out if X or Y is backed up by proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:00 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:

I've always found religion and science to be incompatible with one another. I put my faith in science.
Science does not require 'faith'.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGL1 View Post
Science and religion are completely compatible. I realize it takes some depth of both faith and knowledge to understand the known and unknown, but they truly are quite compatible. Think about the Yin/Yang philosophy for a moment. Do you think that was only about good/evil?
As a dedicated agnosic, I agree with the above statement. I also believe that one can never "know" if there is a god, or not, so one chooses to believe, or not. Organized religion, on the other had, CAN be known, and what I know about it is how deeply flawed and often hateful it is.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Saying "faith in science" doesn't make sense to me. Science isn't about belief, it's about coming up with hypotheses and testing them. It's about trying to find evidence in favor or against a hypothesis. It's not about choosing to believe X or Y, it's about finding out if X or Y is backed up by proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Science does not require 'faith'.
Okay, okay. I used the wrong word. I should have said that when it comes to solving the world's problems, I put my "trust" in science more than religion.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:

They are only incompatible if you are a religious nutcase. Most believers in the Lord Jesus Christ accept science. We go to medical doctors, believe the Earth is flat and was not made in 6 days and that man evolved and still continues to evolve. Such things are not incompatible with the presence of God. The problem is that some religious people take things out of the Holy Bible as being literal when the Bible is a basically a collection of stories and parables. The term "6 days" in the Bible does not mean 24 hour days. A day to God might be 100,000 years to us. He does not operate on our calendar or clock.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGL1 View Post
I agree. Organized religion is just old school politics. However, the holy spirit imbues in us the wisdom to know the difference.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
I absolutely think science and religion can coexist. My belief--God orchestrates the universe and establishes it's rules--that in itself is a miracle. Under that line of thought, the big bang can be set in place, evolution can be set in place--all are miracles--and just because we can understand something through the laws of science makes it no less of a miracle. Maybe the laws of science are the miracle?

The problem comes in if you believe in a literal interpretation of the Old Testament, particularly of Genesis. My church believes it's metaphor for important teachings, and in a sense, poetry. Others believe it is accurate history. I can't speak for fundamentalists, but I've come to know the family of a Pastor of a more fundamentalist church in our area well through things our churches have done together for the community. The wife is a biologist at a nearby university. Her line of thought is this--even as a fundamentalist, it's arrogant to believe you are capable of directly interpreting and understanding the actions of God through scripture. The acts of God are a mystery, and often beyond our understanding. At some point, when we understand science perfectly, and God perfectly, we may know the truth. I thought that was an interesting concept.

Last edited by mb1547; 10-12-2010 at 10:29 AM..

Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
There may very well be a God or some sort of superior being but I sure don't think it will be anything like the Bible says. We think that God created life on Earth. If that is the only criteria for being a God, then God could be aliens from another world that seeded Earth. As for the Bible itself, well for all we know it could have been written from somebody with a mind like Stephen King for the sole purpose of striking fear into those who otherwise live unethical lifestyles.

On the other hand, you don't need faith for science. This is something that can be proved.
God did create life on Earth but He did not create man with the blink of an eye. Man evolved over millions of years from other life forms which evolved from other forms. We were all a germ at one time probably.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Science is how.

Religion is why.
Vewy scawy!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:

I don't know that they can't be compatible. As science advances it just shows how God does it.

That is, of course, if scientists are willing to look at the actual evidence and not read their own theories into it. After all, the fool says in his heart "There is no God". Honestly...to look at the universe and declare it a product of accident is just moronic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies