Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:07 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,604,754 times

Advertisements

Anyone else getting strong-armed at their work place to donate a "Fair Share" to the United way? For us, it's something like 1% of our paycheck. If I give it, I get to wear jeans 1 day a week and get a day of vacation. Woo Hoo. Yay.

My last job did the same thing.

Personally, I'd rather give my $$ to my church, or a charity that will use it wisely instead. Or my 401k.

What is it with the United Way that they have managed to weasel their way into a lot of businesses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 01:10 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,705,339 times
Yes. It is worst when you MANAGER is in charge of donations. You don't want to look selfish and then have it impact your next raise.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:12 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,820,661 times
Oh yeah - been there done that - at the last place here that happened the "pusher" was the OWNER..........

Old 10-12-2010, 01:53 PM

37,096 posts, read 42,088,112 times
It's not a United Way thing, it's about whoever is in charge of it at your workplace. People like to claim they have 100% participation because they think it makes them look good.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:00 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,187,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's not a United Way thing, it's about whoever is in charge of it at your workplace. People like to claim they have 100% participation because they think it makes them look good.
You're right. My DH has chaired the United Way campaign at his company. It's how the management handles it, not United Way. I think you can actually specify that your gift goes to specific organizations, instead of in the pool for their funding allocations, including those that aren't funded as "United Way" agencies? It's worth checking on--maybe call your local United Way office and ask.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:08 PM

7,971 posts, read 7,326,203 times
I worked at a place where they were constantly bugging us about United Way. I do not like to give to the United Way. I pledged a token couple of bucks to get them off my back. That wasn't good enough. They wanted me to pledge a weekly deduction out of my pay check. I am not a Scrooge - I do give to charities of MY choice in my community - directly - like the food bank and animal shelter. We had several people who did not give at all, and they threatened to list their names in the company newsletter to shame them. Our company union was informed and put a stop to it. It was deemed harassment. All for 100% participation and a certificate to hang on the wall. At the law firm where I previously worked, thank God, all United Way solicitation correspondence went directly into the trash.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 PM

628 posts, read 1,312,902 times
I no longer will give to United Way. The organization has administrative expenses somewhere around 15-20%.....I would rather just give directly to the charity of my choice rather than have United Way take 15 cents of every dollar before they disburse the remainder.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,519,245 times
I am willing to bet a decent % of money donated to United Way ends up in Dem party hands or somehow benefiting that party.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:29 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,604,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
I no longer will give to United Way. The organization has administrative expenses somewhere around 15-20%.....I would rather just give directly to the charity of my choice rather than have United Way take 15 cents of every dollar before they disburse the remainder.
That's kind of my point--a decent % of it is administrative. And 1% is actually a decent chunk of money that my church would appreciate having.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:40 PM

973 posts, read 3,299,005 times
My manager strong-armed me into "helping" with the campaign then proceeded to throw a temper tantrum when most of my staff refused to participate. He expected me to keep after my staff till they gave. I refused to harass people who barely make ends meet as it is.

We had quite the verbal throw down that day. I also refused to assist with the United Way from that moment on.

The over the top response tells me that there must be a tremendous amount of pressure to participate coming from the top. Makes me wonder if they get something besides a nifty certificate that says 100% participation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies