Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Hey, I'm not saying the Democrats are right, hell I think they are wrong most of the time.

I want MAJOR cuts in spending, and the only department we can cut major parts out of is the defense department. I don't hear Republicans talking about that though.

They talk about a small 5%, on programs that many people need to get by, especially when times are rough.

Hey, I don't like welfare abuse, or unemployment fraud, but the amount of money we lose on that is nothing compared to the waste the defense department has.
Go with a flat tax and the IRS can be drastically reduced.
Get rid of that new 1099 crap folks have to do next year and that's 15K IRS jobs that do not have to be filled.

The problem is the government doesn't want to FIRE anyone.

We now have the largest EVER Federal payroll.
Largest-ever federal payroll to hit 2.15 million - Washington Times

If you read the bills that have passed in the past year..each one has a new "head" and a complete staff to manage it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 05:31 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The first "cut" they go after is the usual "police, fire and teachers".
Like that's all government funding goes for
That's exactly what they do isn't it? That's where you get when you allow national and state leaders use your money to protect their own jobs. Continued dishonesty in our governments will likely cause us to come very close to a disastrous reckoning.

You perhaps have heard this fictional, but entertaining, tale?

President Barack Obama was in the Oval Office when his telephone rang. "Hello, President Obama " a heavily accented southern voice said. "This is Archie, down here at the Joes Crab Shack, Houston Texas , I am callin' to tell ya’ll that we are officially declaring war on ya!"

"Well Archie," Barack replied, "This is indeed important news! How big is your army ?"

"Right now," said Archie, after a moments calculation "there is myself, my cousin Harold, my next-door-neighbor Randy, and the whole dart team from Hooters. That makes eight!"

Barack paused. "I must tell you Archie that I have one million men in my army waiting to move on my command."

"Wow," said Archie. "I'll have at call ya back!"

Sure enough, the next day, Archie called again. " Mr. Obama, the war is still on! We have managed to acquire some infantry equipment!"

"And what equipment would that be Archie?" Barack asked. "

Well sir, we have two combines, a bulldozer, and Harry 's farm tractor." President Obama sighed.

"I must tell you Archie, that I have 16,000 tanks and 14,000 armored personnel carriers. Also I've increased my army to one and a half million since we last spoke."

"Lord above", said Archie, "I'll be getting back to ya." Sure enough, Archie rang again the next day.. " President Obama , the war is still on! We have managed to git ourselves airborne! We up an' modified Harolds's ultra-light with a couple of shotguns in the cockpit, and four boys from the Legion have joined us as well!"

Barack was silent for a minute then cleared his throat. "I must tell you Archie that I have 10,000 bombers and 20,000 fighter planes. My military complex is surrounded by laser-guided, surface-to-air missile sites. And since we last spoke, I've increased my army to TWO MILLION!"

"Oh Lord," said Archie, "l'll have at call you back." Sure enough, Archie called again the next day. " President Obama ! I am sorry to have to tell you that we have had to call off this here war."

"I'm sorry to hear that" said Barack . "Why the sudden change of heart?"

Well, sir," said Archie, "we've all sat ourselves down and had a long chat over a few beers, and come to realize that there's just no way we can feed two million prisoners.."

Old 10-12-2010, 05:36 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
How do we pay for tax cuts

first off tax (legal theft) cut dont need to be 'paid' for

cut the $%^*(&%##$ spending

Old 10-12-2010, 05:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
We bascaily need at this poin to put everyhting on the table and start cuts. We can not continure to increase the budget and off budget items. It is not sustainable especailly when looking at the deficit and interest on it. Its clear that we have gotten far beyond what they nation can afford just in the last 11 months.We have been in s spending bubble way too long and now cuts need to be made.not just raising taxes.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:54 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,020 times
Quote:
Eliminate which ones, by how much, and whom?

These are questions there aren't answers to.

Y'all accuse the Democrats of drinking the kool aid to often, it seems like many on the right have been drinking the same kool aid, with a different color.

Republicans aren't giving specific cuts, because they aren't going to cut anything. How is the DOE a waste? Energy is one of our largest strategic needs, we need a department to oversee the use of what we have.

Just saying "unnecessary" government spending isn't specific enough. Welfare people making how much? What programs, and why, what is unessential about them?

All answers that aren't given.
The DOE is completely unnecessary. Just read up on the history of why it was created in the first place, see how much that department has grown and evaluate what accomplishments it's made. It's a huge waste of taxpayer money, but come to your own conclusion. And there are many redundant taxpayer entitlement programs that can be consolidated/eliminated too. Just look at food stamp programs and school breakfast and lunch programs. Redundant.

I haven't in this thread accused the democrats of drinking the koolaid while giving a pass to the repubs. In recent history, neither party has been fiscally mindful of the budget. We are at a fork in the road. We can either continue with our tax/spend/borrow/spend way to oblivion and demise, or we can enact austerity measures to prevent the collapse of our government. It won't be long before interest payments on the money owed will be the budget's biggest line item. It's disgraceful. Continuing to expand the size and scope of our government is completely irresponsible and will be our ultimate downfall. The problem is, cutting entitlement spending is painful and not very popular. Those who benefit from it certainly aren't going to support that legislation, so politicians aren't going to push for it.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,170 times
People who feel that we need to "pay for tax cuts" are the same people who consider tax cuts to be handouts.

We don't need to pay for tax cuts, we need to cut spending to match what we bring in with our taxes. At some point we have to cut spending in all areas of our government, that includes touchy points like defense and entitlement spending.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,020 times
Just like with household budgets. When your bills are higher than your income do you:
A)Cut your spending to keep in line with your income, or...
B)Force your employer to raise your income to cover your expenses while simultaneously borrowing more?

What is wrong with living within your means? No budget should be passed that adds to the deficit. NONE.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:34 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,244 times
CUT OUT the Bush tax cuts

Old 10-12-2010, 06:43 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,293,301 times
Quote:
Part of my problem with the Bush administration was that they lowered taxes, while raising spending.

Now all I hear from Republicans is cut spending, lower taxes. Yet, they hardly, if ever, mention specific spending cuts. And they don't mention how they are going to pay for tax cuts.

We are already in a huge deficit hole, and people seem to want to compare the economy to your home spending. If thats the case, when I get in debt I have two options.

1. Cut spending money significantly to balance my budget

or

2. Increase income

You can't cut your way to balance our budget, its to large, and over Republicans support over 70% of our entitlement spending, and 95% of the total budget.

I've got news for you, cutting 5% of the budget isn't going to make up for the deficit. Lowering taxes is only going to increase the budget deficit as well.

So what exactly do you do to pay for the tax cuts that many Republicans support? Please don't use the line "well the economy will grow". Taxes were lower under Bush than they were under Reagan, Bush, or Clinton, and the economy went in the crapper. Tax cuts obviously don't create jobs, or create enough to make up for the initial tax cuts.
What a ridiculous question! You don't have to "pay" for tax cuts!!

It's not the governments money!

Further, history has shown that when you cut taxes, Federal revenue increases!

"Pay" for tax cuts? That is the Democrat way. Vote these robbers out this November! It's your money! Not theirs! Tell them to quit spending your money!

Old 10-12-2010, 07:00 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,187 times
we pay for tax increases silly not tax cuts are you one of WE or are you a politician
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies