Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Again, a nation IS it's citizens:
Nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"A nation is a group of people who share culture, ethnicity and language, often possessing or seeking its own independent government.[1] ..."
We're not discussing who makes up the nation, we're discussing who is responsible for those IN that nation.

Again, sight me ONE part of the Constitution which makes GOVERNMENT responsible for the CITIZENS. Using your argument, the Boy Scouts hold responsibility to make sure boys have jobs when they get old enough.. Right? Your argument is because boys are members of something, then that something because responsible.

Are you a Democrat? Do you hold the Democratic Party as responsible for YOU? NO.. Just because you belong to something doesnt mean they are responsible for you.. YOU are responsible for IT..

Your argument would be like blaming your children because the parents are ilresponsible.. All the same family right? WRONG..
Quote:
No budget in the red becomes in the black if income is CUT!
Your not cutting income.. If you cut taxes, people SPEND more, and if they SPEND more, they EMPLOY more, and if you EMPLOY more, then more pay income taxes, shop, invest and PAY MORE TAXES. And not only does the income go up, but expenses go down...welfare expenses go down, unemployment goes down, the need for governmental health care goes down..

Its not rocket science..
Quote:
If you have a credit card that is maxed out, and you stop spending, the credit card is STILL maxed out!
If you have a credit card thats maxed out, is it easier to pay it down your debt with more income, or less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,841 times
Quote:
"A nation is a group of people who share culture, ethnicity and language, often possessing or seeking its own independent government.[1] ..."

Now that THAT is settled, on to the budget (the TOPIC at hand)>>>
No govt budget that is in the red becomes in the black if income (taxes) are CUT! This is basic math. If you have a credit card that is maxed out, and you stop spending, the credit card is STILL maxed out!
The gov't brings in plenty of money already. I know thats a shock, but it's true

Why do you want to tax the rich more? because they are rich? What about the middle class? What about the poor? hey, lets be fair about this...
Why not have a reasonable tax that everyone pays, and ALL the money goes to the good of the people.
We need to eliminate special interest spending. get rid of wasteful big gov't, and focus on manufacturing, and other American jobs.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
A differing opinion:

"In 1993, conservatives unanimously predicted that Bill Clinton's tax increase on incomes over $200,000 would slow growth, reduce tax revenues, and likely cause a recession. Instead, of course, the economy boomed and revenue skyrocketed. "

Pat Toomey's Epistemic Closure | The New Republic
Thats because they also CUT SPENDING..and balanced the budget. We had Hillary Clinton herself suggesting that people had to eat pet food instead of medical bills because of the cuts that were made..

Old 10-13-2010, 10:49 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Default booming

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
A differing opinion:

"In 1993, conservatives unanimously predicted that Bill Clinton's tax increase on incomes over $200,000 would slow growth, reduce tax revenues, and likely cause a recession. Instead, of course, the economy boomed and revenue skyrocketed. "

Pat Toomey's Epistemic Closure | The New Republic
Economy boomed after after the republican congress reigned in the spending under clinton's rule. And as for your link, I notice that it's long on commentary but short on facts. Actual links to the government economic papers were posted previously that showed that the economy grew faster under gw's tax cuts than ever previously noted in our economy.

But then, why rely on real facts posted by our own government, even if it was done during Nobama's reign.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:27 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Do you really think the poor pay wage taxes? You havent filed a tax return in years, have you?
My bet is that you don't have a clue what the wag tax is.
There are no forms, they just take it out of your pay, like Unemployment insurance.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:13 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,068 times
Quote:

Now that THAT is settled, on to the budget (the TOPIC at hand)>>>
No govt budget that is in the red becomes in the black if income (taxes) are CUT! This is basic math. If you have a credit card that is maxed out, and you stop spending, the credit card is STILL maxed out!

Do you run your household finances this way? Only reason I ask is because you seem to be pretty confident in your argument, and I just want to make sure that I catch every detail.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:17 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
The gov't brings in plenty of money already. I know thats a shock, but it's true

Why do you want to tax the rich more? because they are rich? What about the middle class? What about the poor? hey, lets be fair about this...
Why not have a reasonable tax that everyone pays, and ALL the money goes to the good of the people.
We need to eliminate special interest spending. get rid of wasteful big gov't, and focus on manufacturing, and other American jobs.
What you seek is a communist utopia. It's right there at the end of the rainbow, next to that pot of gold that's guarded by the talking unicorn.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:39 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
What you seek is a communist utopia. It's right there at the end of the rainbow, next to that pot of gold that's guarded by the talking unicorn.
ok, so I got a little carried away. But, my point is that we need a fair tax (not necessarily THE "fair tax") where all citizens pay into the system. If 95% of the citizens paid some taxes then they would all have a personal investment in the USA. As it is now, we have 50% of the people taking everything they can while the top 10% are paying more than they should, and yet they are the bad guys?

The taxpayers are going to vote this year. I'll give you 1 guess at who they will be voting for

Old 10-14-2010, 08:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Pay for tax cuts by big cuts in spending. It's that easy.

Cut the food stamp program - it could easily be cut in half by eliminating the junk food purchases. Welfare handouts should be limited, it's one thing for single mother with one child to have a 6 week maternity leave by getting welfare handouts, but the welfare shouldn't go on and on - just like working women must return to work or not get paid, welfare needs much shorter time limits. And one child is different than 7 or 8 that are just for keeping the welfare handouts coming.

Get the federal government out of education also. It was never given that duty in the Constitution and it isn't effective.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:41 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Hey, I'm not saying the Democrats are right, hell I think they are wrong most of the time.

I want MAJOR cuts in spending, and the only department we can cut major parts out of is the defense department. I don't hear Republicans talking about that though.

They talk about a small 5%, on programs that many people need to get by, especially when times are rough.

Hey, I don't like welfare abuse, or unemployment fraud, but the amount of money we lose on that is nothing compared to the waste the defense department has.
How about cutting or stopping foreign aid and "assistance"? Major dollars go there, never to return and show little benefit to us. Timefor the world to take care of itself rather than us taking care of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies