Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you consider yourself?
very liberal 8 7.62%
liberal 13 12.38%
somewhat liberal 14 13.33%
Moderate 16 15.24%
somewhat conservative 15 14.29%
conservative 23 21.90%
very conservative 16 15.24%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:01 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Just interested to see where people fall.
Liberal on some issues, but not on all issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 02:04 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Why are some getting so offended from a question? There's no reason to get defensive, I was just trying to get an idea of where people stand. I'm not "labelling" anyone, so calm down. Jeez.
If you think I was referring to you--I didn't think you were trying to label at all with this In fact, I'm really glad you asked the question. I'm just really annoyed with the attitudes of some folks here--anyone who differs, in any way, from the lock step republican/tea party mind set is thrown into the pot of "left wing nut." It's an easy way to dismiss people when you don't want to listen, or use logic and reason.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:04 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,167 times
Classical liberal:

1) Religion has NO place in politics.
2) Financially everyone has the right to equal opportunity, NOT equal condition.
3) Everyone has the right to defend themselves.
4) Drugs should be decriminalized; we are wasting billions housing non-violent drugs users.
5) Imprison those who use their money to influence political issues (lobbyists).

Old 10-13-2010, 02:13 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Classical liberal:

1) Religion has NO place in politics.
2) Financially everyone has the right to equal opportunity, NOT equal condition.
3) Everyone has the right to defend themselves.
4) Drugs should be decriminalized; we are wasting billions housing non-violent drugs users.
5) Imprison those who use their money to influence political issues (lobbyists).

1) I agree to a point.
2) Agreed.
3) Really? Cause it seems like it's the liberals who want to severely restrict or totally do away with 2nd amendment rights.
4) If you want to decriminalize users, then maybe. Should drugs themselves be dicriminalized, like crank, herion, coke, etc.? Hell no.
5) I don't know about imprison, but do away with it, sure.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
3) Really? Cause it seems like it's the liberals who want to severely restrict or totally do away with 2nd amendment rights.
How many years has it been since any significant gun control bill has been introduced, let alone passed?

Quote:
4) If you want to decriminalize users, then maybe. Should drugs themselves be dicriminalized, like crank, herion, coke, etc.? Hell no.
Eh...we don't lock up drugs in prison, we lock up users. So what this possibly means I have no clue

Old 10-13-2010, 02:36 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,167 times
Quote:
1) I agree to a point.
2) Agreed.
5) I don't know about imprison, but do away with it, sure.
1) To what point you agree is irrelevant, the religious ideologues are not going to have their way. The separation of church from state is a blessing.
3) I can't and won't attempt to make you less ignorant of your views of liberals.
4) Agreed
5) Fair enough, I'll compromise.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
I'm hated equally by both sides. Guess that makes me a moderate by default.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
I have voting in this poll, but will anyway. If I said "very conservative" as I see myself I would be lumped in with neo-cons, the religious right and on and on. But I would rather use the term Liberal. Liberals are mislabeled. The poll should read very progressive, instead. The term liberal has been misused for close to a century.

I'll vote very conservative, but I see myself as Libertarian on Federal issues, moderate on local government. But certainly not lumped in with Sean Hannity, Sarah Palin, country first types. I think the Federal government should be extremely small. That way, if you love big government policies, you can vote them in at the city or state level and not affect me in my corner of the country.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
How many years has it been since any significant gun control bill has been introduced, let alone passed?
Did you read my post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan
) Really? Cause it seems like it's the liberals who want to severely restrict or totally do away with 2nd amendment rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Eh...we don't lock up drugs in prison, we lock up users. So what this possibly means I have no clue
It means I don't think we should criminalize users, but I don't think we should decriminalize (AKA LEGALIZE) drugs like crank, herion, coke, etc. Criminalize dealers.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
1) To what point you agree is irrelevant, the religious ideologues are not going to have their way. The separation of church from state is a blessing.
3) I can't and won't attempt to make you less ignorant of your views of liberals.
4) Agreed
5) Fair enough, I'll compromise.
Wow, so much for civil discourse. Guess this isn't that understanding, tolerant, "liberal" attitude I hear so much about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies