Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be comfortable with an atheist as Presidnet?
Yes, it makes no difference 73 40.33%
Yes, I would prefer it 52 28.73%
I wouldn't prefer it, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker either 12 6.63%
No, I would never want an athesit as President 41 22.65%
Other 3 1.66%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if our current President was an atheist. I wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't the first person in that office to pretend piety for votes. What makes religious belief in a President important, though, is that it is nearly impossible to understand what Rights truly are without believing that they derive from being human creations of a divine being. Not impossible, but nearly so. Besides, I kinda like knowing that my leaders believe they'll face consequences for their misdeeds at some point beyond the ballot box. Know what I mean?
I doubt Obama is an atheist although both of his parents were atheists and he deliberately chose Christianity.

I'm unaware of any atheist presidents, as opposed to Deists and at least one agnostic.

Keep in mind some religious denominations are atheist-friendly and contain atheists and agnostics, especially Unitarianism and Reform Judaism. However fundies would consider even Unitarians who believe in God to not be Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 04:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
I want a president that works in voodoo.
Then, every week the White House could have blood drinking ceremonies as staff members dance naked around around a huge bonfire on the lawn as various assistants beat on leather drums with bones.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:31 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
as staff members dance naked around around a huge bonfire on the lawn .
I don't wanna see that, sorry.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:32 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Faith seems to be a big deal in our nation, especially when it comes to our elected officials. You may have an atheist mayor or even Congressman, but what about as President? Would you really want an atheist being the most representative and visible man/woman in our nation?
Vote and tell me your thoughts.

Well the one we have now sat in the pews of a racist church for 20 years and listened to his racist mentor/minister screech Gawd D*mn America. An atheist would probably be an improvement over Obama and the hate filled Rev Wright gang.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:32 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Faith seems to be a big deal in our nation, especially when it comes to our elected officials. You may have an atheist mayor or even Congressman, but what about as President? Would you really want an atheist being the most representative and visible man/woman in our nation?
Vote and tell me your thoughts.
I believe George Bush Sr was an atheist, so it would be nothing new.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I want a president that works in voodoo.
Then, every week the White House could have blood drinking ceremonies as staff members dance naked around around a huge bonfire on the lawn as various assistants beat on leather drums with bones.
Sorry, I'll pass on Christine O'Donnell as president.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I believe George Bush Sr was an atheist, so it would be nothing new.
Don't know of any atheist presidents off hand.

The only agnostic president that I know of was William Howard Taft, who publically declared he did not believe in Jesus Christ.

(Now what would be the odds of a candidate running as a conservative Republican even getting the nomination much less winning the election after saying that today?)

There is debate over exactly what Abraham Lincoln's religious views were but he was probably not a conventional Christian and was most likely a Deist. He could have been an agnostic, however.

Some of the early US presidents were Deists.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:51 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Although it does appear that GWB is actually a Christian.
And what a FINE representative of Christianity he is! LMOA.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:00 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
The last thing I want is someone who believes they can bring on the """rapture''' by starting the apocolypse

Old 10-13-2010, 05:00 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if our current President was an atheist. I wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't the first person in that office to pretend piety for votes. What makes religious belief in a President important, though, is that it is nearly impossible to understand what Rights truly are without believing that they derive from being human creations of a divine being. Not impossible, but nearly so. Besides, I kinda like knowing that my leaders believe they'll face consequences for their misdeeds at some point beyond the ballot box. Know what I mean?
Unfortunately, the belief in an after-life has not stopped many office holding beleivers from authorizing genocide, wars, etc.

Religon is responsible for "holy" wars and too many deaths.

It's dangerous to make religion a deciding factor in electing someone to power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies