Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,004 times

Advertisements

I hold my hands up and admit I know NOTHING about american politics. Sure I know who some of the presidents were but when I read some of the topics here I just think 'what the hell are they all talking about?'

There was always enough of a mess going on in the UK/Europe to hold my attention when I was there and I never really had any American friends to discuss the merits of Republicans over Democrats ( or the other way around !!)

I am not looking for some serious lectures on how I should have been more aware of the super power etc etc I know all that. i just didn't.....
However, I am moving to the US and feel I should at least try to get a basic understanding..... so my question is where should I be looking..... just googled American Politics and my god its all a bit complicated !!
Is there an idiots guide so I don't fall asleep during my first dinner party ??
Also which newspapers are less biased ?? Looking at some of the websites that come up its hard to tell if they are factual or creative journalism....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 09:41 PM

767 posts, read 489,172 times
Wikipedia is a good source for general info, although many conservatives have accused it of being part of a Communist conspiracy. Take if for what its worth. The Republicans and the Democrats are essentially the same in the sense that they are beholden to corporate interests. Compared to European parties, the Democrats are a center right party for the most part, and the Republicans are a far right party, for the most part.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
I hold my hands up and admit I know NOTHING about american politics. Sure I know who some of the presidents were but when I read some of the topics here I just think 'what the hell are they all talking about?'

There was always enough of a mess going on in the UK/Europe to hold my attention when I was there and I never really had any American friends to discuss the merits of Republicans over Democrats ( or the other way around !!)

I am not looking for some serious lectures on how I should have been more aware of the super power etc etc I know all that. i just didn't.....
However, I am moving to the US and feel I should at least try to get a basic understanding..... so my question is where should I be looking..... just googled American Politics and my god its all a bit complicated !!
Also which newspapers are less biased ?? Looking at some of the websites that come up its hard to tell if they are factual or creative journalism....
If you can register to vote, at this time I'd recommend you write "independent". when I first registered, I too didn't have much knowledge of politics other than what we were taught in school. It was many years before I felt comfortable in my knowledge of the candidates and issues to cast my vote. Online, I'd say to go to both CNN and FOX news and read what each has to say. Once you move here, start your research with local elections and issues and then move up from there. Most candidates have a website in which they list their stand on the issues and their background. This is a good start but keep in mind that they won't say anything bad about themselves on their own website. Also, don't automatically believe any negative thing you read about the candidate online unless backed up with a reputable news organization. Most importantly, vote for the candidate, not the political party.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,912,706 times
Sites like these, especially what with an election coming up, where strong opinions are routinely given are probably not the place to educate yourself on America's political parties.

Try various competing news sources.

Each political party and political candidate has their own websites so it's a place to start (remember, they are like politicians worldwide. They want to get elected first and foremost). But they should give you an idea of what policies they favor.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times
Quote:

Its more than a bit complicated, its extremely complicated, so take your time and ease on into it.

Couple of simple rules that should be common sense.

First, If it sound implausible and even preposterous, then it probably is.

Second, never ask people on a political forum for their advice on politics

Third, never take a politik's word on anything until you have verified it, including what I'm telling you now.

Four, there are three branches of the American government, the Legislative Branch (law makers), the Executive Branch (the President), and the Judicial Branch (judges) Add them all up divide by the square root of Pi and subtract whatever is left and you have achieved the sum of their collective morality

Five, repeat four twice just to make sure it sinks in

Six, our politics are actually quite boring and stale, however the discussions surround them are quite animated, try not to confuse the two.

Seven, Republican and Democrat are really code words for Liar and Cheater, order doesn't really matter

Eight, repeat five again

Nine, never watch cable news in America, it not only rots your brain, it leave the taste of rotting fish in your mouth

10, when in doubt, just check out the link below to "An idiots guide to American Government" and you will do at least as good as most of us.

Amazon.com: The Complete Idiot's Guide To American Government (0021898643537): Mary Shaffrey, Melanie Fonder: Books

Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 PM

[quote=doc1;16254119]Sites like these, especially what with an election coming up, where strong opinions are routinely given are probably not the place to educate yourself on America's political parties.

Yeah I've spent the last couple of hours on here reading through posts and generally thinking WTF !!

Am only planning to be there for 2 years so I don't think voting will be an issue..... I just want to be more aware....

Old 10-13-2010, 10:01 PM

767 posts, read 489,172 times
Quote:
Yeah I've spent the last couple of hours on here reading through posts and generally thinking WTF !!

Am only planning to be there for 2 years so I don't think voting will be an issue..... I just want to be more aware....
It goes without saying that people who post on a blog are probably the most hardcore and extreme fans of the subject, be it any subject. For someone to take the time to actually compose and write a post on a subject, be it music, relationships, films, politics, etc... they must be really into it and have very strong opinions on it. Needless to say they are not an accurate description of the typical person

Old 10-13-2010, 10:15 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times
The actual basics aren't that complex - There's the President, with his advisors (think Cabinet) and his VP. The President doesn't have the power to vote on any legislation but does have the power to veto anything passed by the Senate and the House of Representatives. Legislation has to be passed by BOTH Senate & Reps in order to go to the President to be signed into law.

The only political position with term limits is the President. The President is elected as a stand alone (ie - he's not REALLY the "head" of any party in the Parliamentary sense.)

There's pretty much only two parties here - Democrats are allegedly liberals and the Republicans are allegedly conservatives - but with many permutations within their ranks.

What we have coming up right now are what is known here as " mid term" elections for Senate & Reps - it's the middle of the President's 4 year term. What these elections will decide is the make-up of the House of Reps and the Senate.

In this country they also have a tendency to ELECT practically any public office you can think of (that in other countries would be by appointment), all the way from judges down to local dog catcher.

I wouldn't bother with listening to the ravings from either side until you get a "feel" for it LOL

eta: Oh yeah and be prepared for the shouts of "well you can't vote so you can't have an opinion"

Old 10-13-2010, 10:16 PM

948 posts, read 1,385,944 times
I agree with Sid 2001 that Wikipedia is a good source, except I have never thought of it as a communist thing. They are a great source of definitions and always provide their source of information and links to related pages. Of course this dose not include the edit section as it is done by average people that have comment.
You may start looking at the political parties of the US. Wikipedia has a vast listing of parties their core beliefs and positions. You may find one that fits your personality.
You may also want to set up a twitter account and instead of posting on it follow news sources like NBC, Fox, CNN ect ect. Then you can get a more round personal view of the reports and make your own decision.
Don't ever feel that just because you don't agree with someone that you should shy away from your position. Politics boils down to ones own ideas and thought it's your right to have a thought listen to the other side and if your wrong be honest with yourself. You may not always be the smartest most informed person but your never the dumbest.
I would ask that what ever position you take Conservative or Liberal that when you share your idea you don't make a short aggressive opening statement that insults others intelligence. We see allot of that on the boards and it more harms their own cause then helps. Nothing worse then becoming a belligerent hater with no standing.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 PM

now its all sooo clear !!

I have a lot of reading to do......

Thanks all !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies