Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:07 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I never said that we should cut those deductions
I said that I am in favor of lower taxes for everyone (*but we need to crack down big-time on illegal immigrants & their employers*)

what part of that do you not understand
When all other arguements fail, point the finger at brown skinned, itinerant, peons as the root of all problems.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:10 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
When all other arguements fail, point the finger at brown skinned, itinerant, peons as the root of all problems.
or you could just claim that you are a victim

Old 10-15-2010, 03:13 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
or you could just claim that you are a victim
Well, to be fair, there's that element too.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:23 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
no, that is not the "only" way. We have to think outside the box.

lets take 20 people and drop them in the middle of the ocean.
They all form a circle with their arms around each others shoulders.
They must kick strong enough to keep their heads above water and stay afloat.
What do you think will happen if 10 of these people stop kicking?
(Assuming that Michael Phelps is not there) They will wear out the other 10 pretty quickly, don't you think? They will all drown

My point is that we need everyone to contribute to our society. Good swimmers & bad...

There are only 2 kinds of people in the world. The ones who pick you up when you are down... and the ones who put you down there in the first place.
Just because someone is not paying federal income taxes does not mean they aren't contributing to society.

Regardless fact of the matter remains, if you want those who are not paying federal income taxes to start paying them you need to either cut or eliminate various things that also help reduce the tax burden for the middle class. You have yet to come up with any examples of how you can force those who are currently paying no federal income taxes to start doing so without it also hurting the middle class and causing their taxes to increase.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:53 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Just because someone is not paying federal income taxes does not mean they aren't contributing to society.

Regardless fact of the matter remains, if you want those who are not paying federal income taxes to start paying them you need to either cut or eliminate various things that also help reduce the tax burden for the middle class. You have yet to come up with any examples of how you can force those who are currently paying no federal income taxes to start doing so without it also hurting the middle class and causing their taxes to increase.
Your simplistic response seems very narrow minded. The "middle class" is very broad. A single woman making $35K is middle class. How would my tax ideas increase her taxes?
And, did you not read my additional comments about how poor people can get assistance?
Would it make you feel better if I raised my tax exempt income to $15K?
while others pay more?

Isn't it ironic that the people who pay no taxes are the ones who are complaining? Like my Dad said... "I'll give you something to cry about"

Old 10-15-2010, 05:28 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
If tea party members and supporters repeatedly complain that only the rich pay taxes and 47% of Americans don't pay any taxes, what is their solution for this? Are they ok with half the country not paying taxes? How do they want to remedy this? They've made it clear that they want the rich to pay less taxes, but what about the people who don't pay, which is close to half of Americans, by their estimates. If they claim that they don't want to raise taxes on the lower half, are they essentially saying it's ok they don't pay taxes. If that's the case, why the complaining? Isn't it unfair that the rich would still continue to be the only ones that pay taxes, according to them.

Top 50% of Wage Earners Pay 96.03% of Income Taxes

FoxNews.com - Nearly Half of U.S. Households Pay No Federal Income Tax

Hannity still clinging to fact-free claim that half of Americans pay no taxes | Media Matters for America
They do not want anyone to pay tax period. The country did not collect income for the first 100 years and we were doing fine. In face, this was what make our country great. Then here come the Federal Reserves act and income tax, follow by Social Security, and now we are the highest taxed western nations in the world.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Your simplistic response seems very narrow minded. The "middle class" is very broad. A single woman making $35K is middle class. How would my tax ideas increase her taxes?
And, did you not read my additional comments about how poor people can get assistance?
Would it make you feel better if I raised my tax exempt income to $15K?
while others pay more?

Isn't it ironic that the people who pay no taxes are the ones who are complaining? Like my Dad said... "I'll give you something to cry about"

I did see your comments about poor people getting assistance. That has nothing to do with my comment. I pointed out the reason many people do not pay federal income taxes (I'm not one of them although you assumed otherwise). Those things are exemptions for dependents, mortgage interest, property taxes, child tax credit, etc.

If you are going to go after those who are not paying federal income taxes and have them paying something you need to go after those deductions and credits. I'm trying to figure out how you are going to get those who aren't paying federal income taxes without cutting or eliminate those benefits.

So I will ask again how will you get those who aren't paying federal income taxes to start paying them. Would you cut or reduce those deductions and credits?? If not what specifically would you do to get those who aren't paying federal income taxes to start doing so??

As for your example of a single woman making $35,000 that would depend on what you set the flat tax rate at (also reducing any of those deductions would play a role as well)

Old 10-15-2010, 06:15 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
You're right, all it means is that they're taking advantage of all the services that our federal income taxes provide without paying federal income taxes. I don't care if they're "contributing to society" or selling unicorn milk and donating the cash to homeless people.

Everyone should pay their share. We can all argue all day about what percentage each person pays in relation to their income but that number should never be zero.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
You're right, all it means is that they're taking advantage of all the services that our federal income taxes provide without paying federal income taxes. I don't care if they're "contributing to society" or selling unicorn milk and donating the cash to homeless people.

Everyone should pay their share. We can all argue all day about what percentage each person pays in relation to their income but that number should never be zero.
So in other words you are in favor of removing or cutting the deductions and credits that are a big reason why some people pay nothing in federal taxes? Even though those removing or reducing those deductions and credits would also cause the middle class taxes to increase?

Old 10-15-2010, 07:08 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
So in other words you are in favor of removing or cutting the deductions and credits that are a big reason why some people pay nothing in federal taxes? Even though those removing or reducing those deductions and credits would also cause the middle class taxes to increase?
Define the "middle class"? We should eliminate whatever loopholes are in place which allow a person to pay nothing in taxes and still get a refund, that wouldn't do anything to the middle class because by my personal definition you're not in the middle class if you don't pay any federal income tax. You want me to keep going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies