Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:37 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,291,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You can't prosecute someone for hating another person. This "hate crime" nonsense is p.c. driven.

The action is what's prosecutable. The "hate crime" is an added bump to the crime of violence which is p.c. driven.

The only crime committed and prosecutable is the physical violence.

So far there's no "thought police".

But those who take everything according to being politically correct and someone feelings being hurt because they were called a name that makes them feel guilty or abused is what the real issue here is about "hate crimes".
Are you asserting that there is no such thing as a hate crime? Under any circumstances?

Is burning down a predominantly African-American church just another act of arson? Is sexually torturing a gay man with a baseball bat merely an ordinary assault?

And what about terrorism? Was 9-11 simply an act of murder?

Hate crimes are closer to terrorism than they are to ordinary crimes because they are ultimately directed toward a group of people. A person who burns down a black church did not pick the building at random. The target was chosen to intimidate all black people.

The question is not whether the crime is worse than any other similar crime, but whether the crime would have occurred at all had the victim(s) not been part of a particular group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
What?? I thought this stuff only happened in the hate-filled racist South, not the enlightened and post-racial North!!!
Yeah, that was my point. I read more of this kind of stuff coming out of NY and Massachusetts than anyplace else.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:46 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
#1. Are you trying to make the correlation between a skin color committing a crime and an actual individual committing a crime.
No, I'm making a REGIONAL point. Northeastern liberals would like to have you believe that everyone in the South is homophobic racist bigot and they are sooooooo educated and beyond that kind of thing. It's bull.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:17 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
It was black on white hate crime. The big cheese media heads decided to push the gay agenda instead, you know blame it on gay hate and leave out the part about the victim being white...you know..kinda like the comments "Don't let a good recession go to waste".
Because it had nothing to do with the victim being white. It had to do with the victim being gay.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post

But people will tell you there is no media bias other than fox news.
Even the uber Republican and Murdoch owned NY Post is viewing this as a gay bias attack..

Three Long Island teenagers face hate crime charges for beating up student and making comments about sexuality - NYPOST.com

Old 10-15-2010, 03:14 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
If I hate Jews and beat them up simply for being Jewish, my motivation is my hatred of Jews. Even if I say nothing during the actual assault, my motive is still hate. Is it any different if I hate gay people?

It has nothing to do with speech as speech.
if you say nothing during the actual assault, there will be particular way to indicate that this was a bias/hate crime.

therefore, no hate crime charges. even though your motivation was the same.

see the problem here?

Old 10-15-2010, 03:20 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,211 times
This thread is a mess, someone was hurt and majorly injured for not fitting into the norm and people are worrying about what race the victim and the perpetrators are???? Are you people serious?

Old 10-15-2010, 03:34 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,291,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
if you say nothing during the actual assault, there will be particular way to indicate that this was a bias/hate crime.

therefore, no hate crime charges. even though your motivation was the same.

see the problem here?
It would be more difficult for the prosecutor, but not impossible. The case would depend on the particular circumstances of the offence, prior history of the defendant, etc. It's difficult to see how sodomizing a gay man with a baseball bat could be seen as a neutral act. Context is everything.

I think what people are really concerned about is being charged with a hate crime for (what they regard as) being a jerk.

Do I think the boys in the Long Island case deserve four years in prison? No. Do I think they're hardened homophobes? No. Did they not realize the implications of their actions? Probably.

But that doesn't mean that the case shouldn't be investigated and taken seriously.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

all someone has to do is not use certain trigger words, and then their actions will be held to an entirely different set of standards.
UNLESS...if it's white on black crime. Then it is automatically a hate crime.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
UNLESS...if it's white on black crime. Then it is automatically a hate crime.
When the N word is thrown around in the attack......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies