Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 06:07 PM

258 posts, read 540,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Exactly--even if it wasn't specifically used to keep minorities from voting as it was in the past, it would certainly eliminate most people with a high school education or less--the working class and the poor. If you people hate this country so much, and think people's voice in the government should be determined by the size of their checkbook, why don't you all go buy land in South America or on an island somewhere together and form your own little dictatorship or feudal system or whatever the flavor of the day in right wing oppressive governments might be. You could do exactly what you want there, and we'd all be happier.

Just curious where in the world is there a ring wing oppressive government?

I'm sorry but in my high school they taught economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I don't think it should be restricted. I even disagree with felons not being allowed to vote.
You must be a democrat, do you know that the majority of felons would vote for a democrat? Look it up its a fact.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:16 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Only bible thumping, gun toting, anti-intellectual, patriotic white guys should be allowed to vote. All the others are morons.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:20 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
Only commie-loving, baby killing, elitist attitudes, spendthrift party of "we" should be allowed to vote. All the others are selfish individualist...

Old 10-16-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Only bible thumping, gun toting, anti-intellectual, patriotic white guys should be allowed to vote. All the others are morons.
No your wrong, smart, intellectual people like you would be permitted to vote.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
I'm the only one who should be permitted to vote.
I'm also the only one who should be permitted to run for office.
Also, the law should forbid anyone from voting for themselves.

As a result, I would cancel myself out, and we'd live in anarchy.
So - who's got the blender, and who's got the rum?
PINA COLADA TIME!

Old 10-16-2010, 06:28 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm the only one who should be permitted to vote.
I'm also the only one who should be permitted to run for office.
Also, the law should forbid anyone from voting for themselves.

As a result, I would cancel myself out, and we'd live in anarchy.
So - who's got the blender, and who's got the rum?
PINA COLADA TIME!
Cheers to the good times ahead... was that a nuclear explosion?

Old 10-16-2010, 06:39 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Why is it that the "freedom lovin' god fearin'" moral majority rightwingers are the first ones to want to restrict another person's freedoms? When questions about restricting anyone's right to vote comes up that is a sign that the America I know is truly dead.
I'm a liberal and I would fully support a civics/current events test for voting.

Almost all the people I know who couldn't pass a basic test with questions like "How many U.S. Senators are there from each state?", "What is OPEC?", "Who was president when Saigon fell?" etc. are Republican voters.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:40 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I don't think it should be restricted. I even disagree with felons not being allowed to vote.
I don't have a problem with felons voting if they are intelligent felons.

My next-door neighbor, otoh, is a 39-year-old boy scout. Nicest guy I know. But he's dumb as a doorknob. He shouldn't be voting for dog catcher.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:41 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as long as one is an american citizen, and their constitutional rights have not been suspended, and they are over 18, i agree.

felons can have many of their constitutional rights reinstated, but they have to petition the courts to get them back. but i agree, if a felon can get their rights back, then they should also be allowed to vote.

no the constitution is not perfect, which is why there is an amendment process to make changes. and the amendment process is necessarily difficult to avoid knee jerk changes.

no, 18 is a fine age to start voting.

i wonder how many people would fail this little test......

i dont recall corporations being able to vote, only people.

oh lord, if that happens i will have to change my drivers license, and i look terrible in a dress, and where would i get a purse that looks halfway decent, let alone having to learn to walk in high heels.........
No, they don't vote but they heavily influence the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies