Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 06:43 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
No, they don't vote but they heavily influence the process.
They have way too much influence and liberals and republicans like it that way... and that is a big problem for Americans... instead of doing what's right, they do what gives them more money or votes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
How about we start with NOT allowing these folks to vote; as well as a general IQ score of 100 or more required for voting privileges.

YouTube - Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES

Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
Every race, creed, religion etc should be able to vote, I'm not talking about that kind of restriction.
You don't understand. Throwing out the racist card is an attempt to kill the disussion.

Fortunately, that strategy started getting stale in the '90s.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:52 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
You don't understand. Throwing out the racist card is an attempt to kill the disussion.

Fortunately, that strategy started getting stale in the '90s.
IDK, Keith Olbermann and others flung it full-force against Tom Tancredo earlier this year.

(I must mention that I normally like Olbermann; and the comment on civic literacy tests is about the only thing that's ever come out of Tancredo's mouth that I've remotely agreed with.)

Old 10-16-2010, 07:37 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,075 times
I think it's more important that that the candidates be more restricted rather than voters. Except when it comes to voting for funding medical research the public should have to show some knowledge about the research. Too many voters have no clue what they are voting for and they choose either "yes" or "no" only because the TV preacher and/or their church preacher told them which to choose without explaining and educating them on what their vote will do to or for society.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 10-16-2010 at 07:46 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 07:47 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
How about we start with NOT allowing these folks to vote; as well as a general IQ score of 100 or more required for voting privileges.

YouTube - Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES
Wow just wow. My jaw just dropped to the floor at those answers.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:28 PM

258 posts, read 540,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
i'm a liberal and i would fully support a civics/current events test for voting.

Almost all the people i know who couldn't pass a basic test with questions like "how many u.s. Senators are there from each state?", "what is opec?", "who was president when saigon fell?" etc. Are republican voters.
yeah right. I went to a school were 80 percent were democrats and minorities and i promise they would get those wrong too.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:33 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
yeah right. I went to a school were 80 percent were democrats and minorities and i promise they would get those wrong too.
Well, we've obviously been aging in different barrels, but the point is, I don't want them voting no matter what they are.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:38 PM

258 posts, read 540,869 times
I just want a basic math test. I'd also like a test on balancing a budget.

If they pass that for me it would be enough.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:52 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
FANTASTIC THREAD!!!!!!!

I have long thought that Universal Suffrage was the stupidest thing possible for a democracy.

Voting should be restricted to educated property owners. And If I had my way, only people over thirty, with college degrees, would vote.

So yeah. It's time we started restricting, not extending, suffrage.

Not gonna happen, though...
Seriously if that were allowed I think it would wreak havoc on our system of property as people would want to start creating weird interests in property, or reviving old or seldom used interests so they could insure they and their families would not be deprived of the vote.

For example, I could see people trying to offer 999 year leases on property instead of selling it so they could be able to insure they and their descendants had a property basis for the right to vote for a thousand years. Or better yet what happens if people start pushing for the restoration of the fee tail so that they and their descendants can have an indefinite, inalienable interest in property for the purpose of voting? On top of that can you imagine the vast amount of title research that would be required for figuring out the validity of voter rolls?

Last edited by Randomstudent; 10-16-2010 at 09:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies