Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 04:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
My grandmother was born late 1800's in North Dakota in a town populated with almost 100% German immigrants. I have some of her old school text books and they are all in German my grandmother not learning to speak English until she was a young woman.

I remember her telling me stories of problems she had moving to California during the Spanish flu epidemic, she worked as a nurse, and even after the war there were animosities.

The funny thing is her grandparents didn't immigrate from Germany they came from a long time German community in Russia. As far as how they got there I don't have any idea except it was about a war and the date 1833. The story is my great, great, grandfather fled Russia to escape a military draft or conscription.

Anyone know what was going on with Russia in 1833?

The town was Ekaterinburg which is where Czar Nikolas II and his family were murdered which is about 500 miles east of Moscow.
You just mentioned where most of the German people came to the whole Great Plains from. They brought hard red winter wheat with them and right now the most millable wheat is that very kind and it needs to be raised in Kansas.

Those people left Germany because they didn't want to be put in the military and then for much the same reason left Russia. Of course, they left Russia much later than 1833 and did so much because they didn't want to become Russians. More of that multiculturalism stuff was involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 04:24 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Stupid statement. This country did fine as a "melting pot" but has never been so divisive as when multi-culturalism was promoted and we all became hyphenated Americans.

Interesting and on point observation. I actually see a trend among comics in attacking the hyphenated ethnic descriptors.

African Americans RARELY even can relate to any place on the continent of Africa. Not to mention, that due to the legacy of blacks in America and lost or non existent records, many "African Americans" can never even figure out where in Africa there heritage stems from several generations ago.

Why do blacks need to call themselves African Americans when whites never say "European Americans." Look, I don't want whites to start using that broad term either (although ditching the label Caucasian would be smart because it is idiotic and highly inaccurate for most white folks). I have never heard a white person in America say "I am European American." Why should any white, or black, person insist that black people say they are "African American.

I'm sure my point is clear and I don't need to go on ad nauseum with the Asian and Hispanic example.

Our labels help explain our identity and heritage to a point, but divide us to a large degree.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:33 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In the past it was. They came here not knowing English but surely learned it and made sure their kids went to school and got a better education than they did.

Today ? Well not so much. Everything is now in 2 languages with English sometimes being the secondary one. Schools are becoming majority ESL classes with kids barely understanding the English and parents not even bothering to try.

This country WAS once the great melting pot. It's not anymore.
You want to believe America was a melting pot based on some idealistic concept of America.

If America was so interested in integrating and accepting of other cultures would you care to explain the Chinese Exclusion Act which denied Chinese people from being American citizens based on the fact .............they were Chinese from 1892 until it was repealed 1943? Then there is the internment of Japanese citizens during World War II and of course there is the history in this country of doing everything possible since before this country was created until the 1960's to exclude Black Americans from American society.

You might want to check out this list of immigration laws to see how “accepting” American particularly white Anglo-Saxon Protestants were of accepting people of other cultures and nationalities:

Page Act of 1875 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chinese Exclusion Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Geary Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Immigration Act of 1917 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Emergency Quota Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Immigration Act of 1924 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-16-2010, 04:46 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
Why the hell Hispanics, Blacks and foreigners give their kids these horrendous names? Why would you name your kid Jose, Carlos, Ramon or some foreign sounding name? Worse yet, LaShanda, Lakisha, DeJuan, what the hell? How about good old AMERICAN names like John, William, Luke, Steven? Then, they wonder why their kids amount to nothing.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Most liberals are NOT communist!...
But all communists are liberals.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Why the hell Hispanics, Blacks and foreigners give their kids these horrendous names? Why would you name your kid Jose, Carlos, Ramon or some foreign sounding name? Worse yet, LaShanda, Lakisha, DeJuan, what the hell? How about good old AMERICAN names like John, William, Luke, Steven? Then, they wonder why their kids amount to nothing.
Yeah, some of the names are out of control. But John? Does the American spirit need to be perpetuated in naming traditions that are wholly unoriginal as well as totally exhausted.

Repubocrat, I hope unique names don't make you too irate because in this modern nation they are really prevalent. If they irritate you that much you'll increase your blood pressure and risk your health. Let people be and add a few years to your life, or not.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
But all communists are liberals.
No. They're not.

Why are all the people who comment on commies on this site so woefully misinformed????!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 04:55 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
I can't believe some people still think this way.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:56 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Juliet:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare

Another words: What matters is what something is, not what it is called.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So you don't see reality?

I think that shows a fear of speaking the truth and a naive attitude.
Go ahead and blame Muslims for everything, just like people have blamed blacks, gays, Latinos, Jews, Poles, the Irish, etc. throughout the years. It's all garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies