Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Nothing wrong, but it will just be passed on to the viewer...
Actually its passed onto the advertisers, who can choose to pay the extra $.0001 per ad per household to advertise or not. i.e. average 8640 commercials a month, / # households.

Last edited by pghquest; 10-17-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 09:05 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong, but it will just be passed on to the viewer...
Ever hear of "you get what you pay for" and "pay for what you get"? I know, I know... difficult concept for some who continually expect freebies and handouts.

I pay extra for the packages I choose through my provider. I would expect that everyone does the same.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:08 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
It's just two rich corporations fighting over their share of the pie. Content distributors (cable companies) charge their customers $x per month and share that revenue with the content providers (TV channels). TV channels also collect revenue by selling advertising but ad revenues are down so they are fighting for a bigger share of the subscription revenue.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Ever hear of "you get what you pay for" and "pay for what you get"? I know, I know... difficult concept for some who continually expect freebies and handouts.

I pay extra for the packages I choose through my provider. I would expect that everyone does the same.
I wouldn't know, I dropped cable eight years ago and have not missed it....
Got tired of paying to watch infomericals after midnight on 100 different channels...Is that what you mean by paying for what you get?

Really liked the History channel but figured I could just record it for three months and and would have their complete programming for a least two years or longer..

Old 10-17-2010, 09:16 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
You could switch to Dishnetwork. Oh!! I forgot! They are losing Fox too. The problem is that the cable and satellite TV providers want to pay a standard amount to the program providers. That means they want to pay the same amount to Fox News, CNN and MSNBC. Fox argues that their ratings- which are more than MSNBC and CNN combined- merit higher fees from cable and satellite TV providers. The providers feel that if they pay Fox more based on ratings, if the ratings change in the future, then the others will demand more than Fox and it will be an upward cost spiral that will never end.
This is why the FCC needs to mandate binding arbitration in these disputes so people don't lose their programming.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:18 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
I wouldn't know, I dropped cable eight years ago and have not missed it....
Got tired of paying to watch infomericals after midnight on 100 different channels...Is that what you mean by paying for what you get?

Really liked the History channel but figured I could just record it for three months and and would have their complete programming for a least two years or longer..
You don't like 100 channels of Zumba dancing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually its passed onto the advertisers, who can choose to pay the extra $.0001 per ad to advertise or not. i.e. average 8640 commercials a month, / # households.
Then why do people complain when their cable bill goes up if advertisers are paying the extra cost ?

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post

How dare you say something so 'right'

Old 10-17-2010, 09:20 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Binding arbitration is unnecessary. At some point the market saturates and either rates level off or competitors enter the market. Let the free market work, I say.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You don't like 100 channels of Zumba dancing?
Yes and I just loved paying for those 20 hispanic stations, guess I should have learned spanish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies