Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

If you get sick of the BS that you have to pay for on cable and Satellite, you can always go for the Canada solution where you can choose what kinds of programming you want to pay for, not have to pay $5 a month for ESPN if you do not watch sports and you get ALL the stations in 5 times zones AND the USA stations from east and west. We have ExpressVU and like it.
Using Canadian Satellite Dishes in the USA
Bell TV - Television packages, receivers & HD channels- Bell
Shaw Direct - 100% Digital Satellite Television
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
To those you that think you are getting what you pay for I suggest you take a good look at what you are PAYING FOR and a REAL GOOD LOOK at what your are really watching.

Probably 75% of what you are paying for you never watch.....

Old 10-17-2010, 09:47 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,047,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
If they want to offer this programming for their subscribers, they have to pay for it, a completely foreign concept to some liberals. No different than any other channels.

Sounds like Cablevision has had run-ins with several other networks over cost disputes too. Perhaps the problem is Cablevision just not wanting to pay up for programming.

Sorry Cablevision, but if you want to offer programming to your viewers, you do indeed have to pay for it.
YANKEES fans who were subscribers to CABLEVISION had to wait 2 years for access to YES Network in a similar dispute...

Looks like NEWS Corp. is using this as an opportunity to recoup all the money they paid to the Republican Party campaigns...

Old 10-17-2010, 09:48 AM

I guess football fans will just have to settle for watching Sarah Palin's reality show instead...

Old 10-17-2010, 09:49 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
YANKEES fans who were subscribers to CABLEVISION had to wait 2 years for access to YES Network in a similar dispute...

Looks like NEWS Corp. is using this as an opportunity to recoup all the money they paid to the Republican Party campaigns...

Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
I guess football fans will just have to settle for watching Sarah Palin's reality show instead...
Really, stop trying to tie this to politics. You're thread title was obviously changed because it has nothing to do with politics. In fact, your argument is exactly backwards - wouldn't NC WANT more subscribers so they can brainwash them?

Classic thread FAIL.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Really, stop trying to tie this to politics. You're thread title was obviously changed because it has nothing to do with politics. In fact, your argument is exactly backwards - wouldn't NC WANT more subscribers so they can brainwash them?

Classic thread FAIL.
Everybody knows Rupert Murdoch and NEWS Corp. has made massive contributions to the Republican Party... Looks like the Republicans are now hurting advertisers too...

They were getting $70 MILLION on the previous contract... Now they want $150 MILLION?... ... Talk about price gouging... They must want Obama out bad...

Old 10-17-2010, 09:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
I switched from Dish to Direct TV so I could get Fox from Detroit.

Dish was very rude to me......I will NEVER go back to them.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:

Old 10-17-2010, 10:02 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You could switch to Dishnetwork. Oh!! I forgot! They are losing Fox too. The problem is that the cable and satellite TV providers want to pay a standard amount to the program providers. That means they want to pay the same amount to Fox News, CNN and MSNBC. Fox argues that their ratings- which are more than MSNBC and CNN combined- merit higher fees from cable and satellite TV providers. The providers feel that if they pay Fox more based on ratings, if the ratings change in the future, then the others will demand more than Fox and it will be an upward cost spiral that will never end.
This is why the FCC needs to mandate binding arbitration in these disputes so people don't lose their programming.
So NewsCorp is doing what every other cable company in the U.S. does.

For example, The Big Ten Network is considered a Tier One channel in states where Big Ten schools are located. The cable companies pay them an average of 90 cents per household. Go outside of a Big Ten state and that rate drops to 25 cents.

They all do it. And it seems to work just fine. It actually makes sense. I doubt many people in Louisiana are clamoring for the Big Ten Network. So, the Big Ten Network drops the price in an attempt to attract customers.

The market takes care of the consumer as always. No need for FCC arbitration.

Maybe liberals next great human right campaign will to be make sure everyone gets the exact same cable channels at the exact same cost. It's only fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies