Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It's not about petty feelings. It's about this country turning into a Third World Country where all the wealth is at the top.

It isn't your neighbor who wants to take your car. It's executives who want to take all you have.

In the 50's,60's executives made 30-40% more than the average worker...economy did pretty well....and it certainly did better than now with executives making %400 to 600 more than the average worker.

WHO wants to take what you earned?

If you have Health Care insurance you will pay whatever an executive decides you have to pay...those premiums have been going up for years(EVEN BEFORE OBAMA TOOK OFFICE) at the whim of executives and YOU haven't had an upgrade in your care.

WHO wants what you earn ??? YOU deserve to have less because an executive wants more and has the power to take it. Your neighbor doesn't have that power....

Work harder? How hard is hard enough?

So I see you don't believe in hard work and just want someone to steal from someone else and give to you. All progressives think that way. This is no surprise. A high paid executive is taking nothing from you, they are actually giving things to you, like a damn job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
It's thoughts like this that I don't get. Yes, there are people that are motivated to get ahead in life. I and some of my friends have worked 70 to 90 hours per week to try to get ahead. That's the equvalant of two full time jobs at once. If I work that hard to get what I want why is that bad?

How does "me" trying to get ahead hold "you" back? How does that make me powerful and you powerless? If I work hard enough that I am someday able to hire people to help me work toward my goal am I bad for doing that? Aren't we trying to find ways to create jobs right now? So why am I seen (in your eyes) as trying to exert my power over you by providing you with a job? Doesn't providing you with a job help you to achieve your goal of "avoiding serfdom"?

In the analogy that you give the republicans are motivated by getting more so they work two jobs to ensure that. You are motivated to avoid serfdom. There is a difference in the goals we set for ourselves. Yet you think that after I work to achieve my goals I should share with you when that wasn't your goal to begin with. To me, if I work hard to get my money and you set your goals at a lower level than I did...we have both met our goal so why should I be responsible for giving you something you weren't motivated to get on your own?
Well stated.

If I work to put myself thru school, work really hard, putting in nights and weekends for 80 hours a week, and then suddenly.... twenty years later, I'm the the president of my own company and the employer of ten people. According to aspiesmom, I should feel ashamed because I was "fixated on getting even more while" making "sure everyone else gets less."

Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default Why are you people so fixated on others who have more than you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
I mean seriously, why do all you people harbor such jealousy and resentment towards those who have more than you? Why does this jealousy and resentment manifest itself in your people voting for demagogues like Obama who promise to take from others and give to you? There's no such thing as a society where everyone is a millionaire. Some people are going to be more successful than others, it's human nature. So what if your neighbor has a fancier car than you? Why do you feel entitled to have the government take your neighbor's fancier car and give it to you? If anything, it should make you want to strive to be more successful, so you can have a fancy car too. If you can't, it's because your neighbor is smarter and/or harder working than you are. So if your neighbor is smarter/harder working than you, why shouldn't they have more wealth and you? You have the opportunity to improve yourself. If you're too lazy and stupid to take advantage of your opportunities, then you deserve to have less.

Let me counter with a MUCH superior question to yours...

WHY DO THOSE WHO ALREADY HAVE MUCH MORE THAN THEY COULD EVER NEED SEEM TO THINK THAT THEY SHOULD BE EXEMPT FROM SUPPORTING THE SOCIETY THAT HAS GRANTED THEM SO MUCH AND SHOULD SHIFT PART OF THEIR LOAD TO THOSE LESS FORTUNATE?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
no, thats not how I see it. I am more worried about gov't (all forms) nickel & diming me to death. Parking tickets, additional taxes, fees, etc. They always claim that it is for a good cause but that is BS. There is proof that photo tickets do not make us safer, - it is a money making scheme. We should not have laws in place that are designed to take money away from citizens.
These things cause animosity & resent towards police. They do not need more of that now do they?
i absolutely fail to understand how someone could say the problem isn't division of wealth or the extraordinary amount of power and wealth concentrated in a few corporations...but that the problem is parking tickets and stop light cameras.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
It's thoughts like this that I don't get. Yes, there are people that are motivated to get ahead in life. I and some of my friends have worked 70 to 90 hours per week to try to get ahead. That's the equvalant of two full time jobs at once. If I work that hard to get what I want why is that bad?

How does "me" trying to get ahead hold "you" back? How does that make me powerful and you powerless? If I work hard enough that I am someday able to hire people to help me work toward my goal am I bad for doing that? Aren't we trying to find ways to create jobs right now? So why am I seen (in your eyes) as trying to exert my power over you by providing you with a job? Doesn't providing you with a job help you to achieve your goal of "avoiding serfdom"?

In the analogy that you give the republicans are motivated by getting more so they work two jobs to ensure that. You are motivated to avoid serfdom. There is a difference in the goals we set for ourselves. Yet you think that after I work to achieve my goals I should share with you when that wasn't your goal to begin with. To me, if I work hard to get my money and you set your goals at a lower level than I did...we have both met our goal so why should I be responsible for giving you something you weren't motivated to get on your own?
I nominate this as Post of the Day. Hear! Hear!!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Let me counter with a MUCH superior question to yours...

WHY DO THOSE WHO ALREADY HAVE MUCH MORE THAN THEY COULD EVER NEED SEEM TO THINK THAT THEY SHOULD BE EXEMPT FROM SUPPORTING THE SOCIETY THAT HAS GRANTED THEM SO MUCH AND SHOULD SHIFT PART OF THEIR LOAD TO THOSE LESS FORTUNATE?
They don't think that they should have to pay the gov't 50% of their wealth.
Especially when this gov't continues to waste money, or spend it on special interest projects that most Americans do not want.
Rich people should be able to pay their fair share of taxes, and then donate to whoever they want.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I find this thread to be about as stupid as it gets.
I second that.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
So I see you don't believe in hard work and just want someone to steal from someone else and give to you. All progressives think that way. This is no surprise. A high paid executive is taking nothing from you, they are actually giving things to you, like a damn job!
Is there an icon for throwing your hands in the air/eye rolling/laughing while being sad at the "Happy Victim" mentality...?????

Old 10-19-2010, 08:53 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i absolutely fail to understand how someone could say the problem isn't division of wealth or the extraordinary amount of power and wealth concentrated in a few corporations...but that the problem is parking tickets and stop light cameras.
I'm not a business man. Big business does not effect me directly. Buying a home should not be strictly an investment. Stock market should not be your only investment either. I am sorry for those people who timed it wrong and lost a lot of money. I prefer to go to Las Vegas and have some fun while I gamble.
At least I know what I am getting into

Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Republicans do have a knack for twisting this concept.
We are actually fascinated by the wealthy who are fixated on getting even more while they make sure everyone else gets less. The wealthy Republican is also fixated on power over other people (the economic instability of folks gives them even more power over folks...its called serfdom). Folks of lesser means are fixated on avoiding powerless serfdom at all times.

Typical liberal banter.

No confident person cares what another person makes. There is no "conspiracy" of the wealthy to restrict anyone else's income. This is just an excuse for those who have not achieved thier goals and need to rationalize thier failure.

If you are a "serf", look in the mirror and blame yourself. That is hard, however, and it is easier to demonize and blame someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies