Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 AM

243 posts, read 274,274 times

Advertisements

I know I sounded harsh in that last post, but the change was so drastic it left me feeling like a stranger in my own town. I come from a large family, and the liberal views forced on my home split it up, there are some I no longer have contact with because of this.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:11 AM

37,877 posts, read 21,962,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Ok, so I have been thinking about this question for a while now and it would be nice to hear both sides or see what else runs through your minds.

I see the conservatives sitting around screaming about how diversity sucks and multiculturalism does not work.

I see the liberals sitting around screaming about diversity is important and they believe in affirmative action.

I do not get either side. Conservatives, there is no way we can have just one culture or one religion or race in the USA. Liberals, there is no way to fit each and every culture into the USA.

But at the same time, I see where conservatives are coming from. Immigrants of today have just changed their mindsets.Not saying ALL immigrants are like this but from what I see in the Indian community (since I am Indian), I see big differences. They used to be so hard working and would show their loyalty to the USA. Immigrants of today feel they are special and entitled to a job as soon as they get off the plane and while having this mentality, they talk about the USA and how bad it is and how much they miss India. This is not an observation from just Indian immigrants but from other cultures too. It bugs me because I love the USA. My parents are immigrants and they love the USA more than India. They are loyal to the USA first but the generation of immigrants now are just "My home country was better...blah blah". GO BACK then!

I also see where liberals are coming from. Everyone has a right to practice their religion and live in their culture or lifestyle here. America is about freedom. There are poor people everywhere and you want them to be able to live their lives without persecution. It bugs me though because I don't believe EVERY single culture or way of living belongs here. Cultures that value men over women and cultures that believe in honor killings or stonings still. Cultures that are still so back-assed in the past that there is no way they can co exist with us.

My take on it: For me, I am a mix. I would not mind having a Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Wiccan, Muslim (as long as they were peaceful) neighbor no matter what his/her skin color was. BUT I do not agree with going out of our way to make sure we are "diverse" or have a certain amount of Hispanics or Blacks here or there. Why should we accommodate to Muslims so they can pray 5 times a day? The only faith/culture I have an issue with is Islamic for obvious reasons. I'd fight against Sharia Law with my life. But I won't go there. That is for another thread.

To conservatives: So, what do you think we can do? If you hate diversity or whatever so much, what are you looking for? An all white Christian country? Do you hate seeing people of different faiths and religions here? Or are you ok with peaceful people of different faiths? You would not mind a Buddhist or Hindu temple being built by you? What is your take? I know a lot of you all don't like Muslims/Islam BUT are you ok with other faiths?

To liberals: Do you all really think we can have ALL different types of people here from different cultures and co exist? For real? I don't think so. Why are you all into making sure we have certain perks for minorities or whatever. Why is multiculturalism and diversity so important? If race is just a skin color and we are all the same, they why special perks for minorities?

Also, last but not least, if you just came to the USA and hate it so much, you have the freedom to leave!!

Thanks for reading. Man, I had so much to think about lately. I should be studying my math though.
Depends on if you think our country becomes a stronger nation thru the continued balkanization of our people, communities and society as a whole.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:04 PM

72,845 posts, read 62,239,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwater View Post
I know I sounded harsh in that last post, but the change was so drastic it left me feeling like a stranger in my own town. I come from a large family, and the liberal views forced on my home split it up, there are some I no longer have contact with because of this.
Maybe you and I grew up differently. I have moved to so many places that I often feel like the stranger when I first get there. I know what it means to feel like a stranger, but I rarely ever think of most places as "my town" because for me, I moved around so much as a child, and the last place I lived as a child, I hated it.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Depends on if you think our country becomes a stronger nation thru the continued balkanization of our people, communities and society as a whole.
This nation was never homogeneous to begin with. The Native Americans of various groups were here first. Then the Spanish came to places like Florida and New Mexico. Then you had the French and the British come over as well. Later on African slaves were brought here. You also had Native Americans driven off their own land. Jews also immigrated here early on. Catholics came here too. Different peoples have been coming here since the beginning.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 PM

52,330 posts, read 34,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
It's too bad some people promote, "Take our Country Back".

Remarks of Senator Barack Obama: Take Back America 2007

Old 10-20-2010, 02:41 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,950,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Blacks are integrated. The problem is they choose to continue live in the ghetto and lead problematic lives and the politicians sh** on them by caring more about illegal aliens taking jobs on their step of the economic ladder. We've done a lot to try integrate blacks in this country but most don't want to help themselves and still blame "Da White Man" for their ills. And since they blame the White Man for their ills, they look at the "Thug Life" as a path to aspire to and think that speaking non-ebonics English, having manners, and taking school seriously, is "acting white", as if that's something blacks shouldn't do. And as a Puerto Rican, I see all of this going on in Puerto Rican communities. I've always been the target of reverse racism from other Hispanics because I "acted white" throughout my school life by learning to speaking proper, correct English without a Spanish accent (Spanish is my native language), and focusing on my studies instead of hitting on "da mamis" and wasting time being a tough macho guy. This is why I'm a Republican now, because I'm especially tired that I have to follow the herd mentality established by the White Liberal that I should vote Democrat because the White Liberal understands me and knows what's best for me and if I don't vote Democrat, then I'm a traitor
I think you are a Republican because you may actually believe the non-sense you posted about black people.

Only an idiot would believe that people "choose" to be disenfranchised and discriminated against, your own poor choice of words fully demonstrate the ongoing ignorance and prejudice against black people.

So "most" black people don't want to help themselves???...can I get a copy of that memo??

As a Independent leaning Democrat, I don't blame the white man for all the ills of my people neither do I have historical or recent racial amnesia concerning my people.

Your thoughts would be best expressed in the "Gentleman's Room" over at the country club...the one where they still don't admit blacks!!!

I speak proper English, am educated, dress well, and have no criminal record, if people don't want to accept me because I don't dress and speak like Urkel than that's your problem not mine.

Guess I believe in judging people and not their stereotypes!!!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I think you are a Republican because you may actually believe the non-sense you posted about black people.

Only an idiot would believe that people "choose" to be disenfranchised and discriminated against, your own poor choice of words fully demonstrate the ongoing ignorance and prejudice against black people.

So "most" black people don't want to help themselves???...can I get a copy of that memo??

As a Independent leaning Democrat, I don't blame the white man for all the ills of my people neither do I have historical or recent racial amnesia concerning my people.

Your thoughts would be best expressed in the "Gentleman's Room" over at the country club...the one where they still don't admit blacks!!!

I speak proper English, am educated, dress well, and have no criminal record, if people don't want to accept me because I don't dress and speak like Urkel than that's your problem not mine.

Guess I believe in judging people and not their stereotypes!!!
Sadly, it is very easy for people to judge people according to the stereotype. Too easy if you ask me. I had a professor that told the class that stereotypes were not a bad thing. The question I wanted to ask is "How do the stereotypes for Black men help me(and you and every other Black man who doesn't fulfill those stereotypes)?" Even further, he also mentioned a book that Cornell West wrote about how hard it was for a Black man to catch a taxi in New York City. The professor pretty much said "Cornell West doesn't understand that the taxi drivers were concerned for their safety". I went on to ask "How does that help me"? This professor just said "It doesn't. It's not about you". That pretty much angered me. I often wondered why this professor had not been fired yet. He said some more controversial stuff, stuff that other professors would not dare say. I wondered why other students had not bothered to report him. I later found out through a former student of his. This professor had tenure, which pretty much meant he was close to untouchable. It goes to show that even college professors can have this train of thought.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,001,310 times
I don't like diversity.that's why I live where I do.keep it in your silly big cities,Sharia law will look good on you

Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,693,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Diversity and multiculturism are feel good ways of putting the white man in his place or more frankly to continue to foster white guilt.

Does everything revolve around white people in your world? "I don't want to see non whites because they make me feel uncomfortable and subconsciously guilty. Rather than recognize I have a problem with other people who aren't like me, I'm going to claim that they're trying to force themselves on us by existing." This is exactly the kind of closet racism that goes unchecked nowadays, and its largely the product of the way the media conditions people... black people = hood, famous black people = hood rich, native americans = forgotten, latinos = poor, asian people = too smart for their own good and (last but not least) white people = normal. **** that...

Old 11-08-2010, 07:50 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,693,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I don't like diversity.that's why I live where I do.keep it in your silly big cities,Sharia law will look good on you

Where do you live again? Colorado? Remind me not to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies