Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,185,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
What you write is true in the USA. The article was about a country where Islamic marriage & divorce laws apply.
Then why would NOW be brought into the topic?
This didn't happen in the US.
Let's vilify women's groups.

I know of indigenous tribes where a marriage or divorce costs the equivalent of 5 cents and a cup of tea.

Since they're not muslim, I guess it's okay for that society to marry and divorce the way that they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 05:44 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,369,970 times
And your point is exactly what! And what does this have to do with Politics, please enlighten us.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:46 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,826,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
And your point is exactly what! And what does this have to do with Politics, please enlighten us.
Right?????
I said that, too.......I see that the OP has commented on other threads since they posted this one, but hasnt come back to visit this one.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:53 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,289,843 times
The United States of America shouldn't be marrying anyone. That'll fix that problem. Instead, everyone can enter into a civil union with one partner of the same species.

That'll fix the marriage and divorce problems. And, Muslim men simply couldn't walk away from their wives.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,427,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
SLAP!

That deafening silence you hear are women's groups like NOW. Oh, that's right. "It's their country, their laws". I forgot human rights and basic decency stop at the border.
I believe the N in NOW stands for "National".

Reforming the divorce laws in Saudi Arabia is not and has never been part of their mission statement.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:14 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,255,627 times
In many states, including California, you can get a dirvorce for ANY reason. You don't need one. Just wake up and say, "I want a divorce." bam. It's over. No questions and nothing you can do.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:03 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,983,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
In many states, including California, you can get a dirvorce for ANY reason. You don't need one. Just wake up and say, "I want a divorce." bam. It's over. No questions and nothing you can do.
Yes, but in the USA this has go through the court system which will decide if there is any division of property, etc.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,282,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Quit feeding the troll.

The OP is just trying to get a rise out of people.
Not a troll. The purpose is to raise awareness and also point out how women's groups are quick to attack conservatives in this country and Christians (a.k.a. easy targets) but never say anything about their good friends over in Sharialand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then why would NOW be brought into the topic?
This didn't happen in the US.
Let's vilify women's groups.

I know of indigenous tribes where a marriage or divorce costs the equivalent of 5 cents and a cup of tea.

Since they're not muslim, I guess it's okay for that society to marry and divorce the way that they do.
Pointing out hypocracy is not vilifying, it is holding accountable.
I don't know what countries you are talking about but I suspect that in those countries the laws, as liberal as they may be, apply equally to either the man or the woman who wants the divorce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Right?????
I said that, too.......I see that the OP has commented on other threads since they posted this one, but hasnt come back to visit this one.
I like to let a thread gather a few posts before posting. I've found that if I respond back to the first couple of posts then it degenerates in to a conversation between me and one or two other people. I think the purpose of threads should be to foster debate between many people with voices on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I believe the N in NOW stands for "National".

Reforming the divorce laws in Saudi Arabia is not and has never been part of their mission statement.
THAT is a good point and one I had not considered. However, I still think it is their cowardice that motivates their silence rather than national borders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yep, a man or woman can do that equally. That is a different matter than illustrated in this article.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,826,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
THAT is a good point and one I had not considered. However, I still think it is their cowardice that motivates their silence rather than national borders.
There are quite a few international groups that are womens advocates in that part of the world.
Perhaps you should have read up on the matter at hand?
At least we know what your agenda is now.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:04 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,282,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
There are quite a few international groups that are womens advocates in that part of the world.
Perhaps you should have read up on the matter at hand?
At least we know what your agenda is now.
No agenda except awareness expanding. If their are women's groups there they sure are quiet (as well as ineffective).
Whatever. Once Sharia envelopes Englad completely maybe then we'll see a little push back.
On the radio today I heard that even the UAE's (a fairly moderate Muslim country) Supreme court ruled today that beating your wives is OK as long as you don't leave marks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies