Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 07:39 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post

But it takes a scholar to study the Constitution and come up with:

[paraphrased]

'...that generally the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties. Says what the states can’t do to you. Says what the Federal government can’t do to you,...'
True, true because that only applies to the Bill of Rights so it would indeed take a Constitutional scholar to come up with that before unheard of view of the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I don't think this is correct given the 14th amendment's privileges or immunities clause.
How so?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
True, true.

But it takes a scholar to study the Constitution and come up with:

[paraphrased]

'...that generally the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties. Says what the states can’t do to you. Says what the Federal government can’t do to you,...'
Wait what constitution is that? The US constitution is mostly about what the government CAN do with the assumption that they cannot go beyond that scope.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
How so?
The privileges and immunities clause of the 14th amendment along with the due process clause, which is actually much more important, expanded the bill of rights to the governments of individual states as well as the federal government more, or less.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I believe I saw a comment regarding his inability to name more than 1 freedom guaranteed in the 1st Ammendment. She named all of them.
The audio is at http://wdel.com/features/debate2.mp3

She asks him to name the freedoms in the 1st amendment around 2:50, and he declines to, stating he wishes to have the panel ask the questions, instead of getting into a tit-for-tat with her over who knows the Constitution better.

She responds "I guess he can't."

She does not then name them.

And in her closing statement, she again brings up Coons' "failure" to know the 1st amendment, and she does not then name them herself.

Closing statements:

http://wdel.com/features/debate3.mp3

If I missed her naming them, please provide a link to the audio or transcript.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I admit to being ignorant as to how you teach creationism, but it seems religion neutral.
Oh? Adam and Eve? Religion neutral?

There are loads of creation stories. Every culture has one. Many religions have their own as well.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:33 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
So where is this separation? The only thing it says is that the federal government shall not establish a religion.
The first amendment says congress cannot respect an establishment of religion, which includes not establishing a religion but is much broader than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyt View Post
I want to ask, what does "separation of church and state" mean to you?

To me, it means that the government will not make any laws promoting religion.
Good point. Maybe O'Donnell and her minions in this thread should define "separation of church and state" before saying that the first amendment doesn't grant it.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:39 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
O'Donnell questions separation of church, state - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101019/ap_on_el_se/us_delaware_senate - broken link)

Wheee! This just gets funnier and funnier... Thank you, Delaware Tea Party voters, for providing us with such quality entertainment!

I'm cool with Obama's folks being voted out and opposing ideas being voted in, but next time...can we at least pick some half-way intelligent people? Is that too much to ask?
After watching it, I was wondering if maybe she did that on purpose to look no too smart. the Republicans are onto this "don't be smart, act dumb" kick which makes them seem like they're "one of the guys that they can have a beer with". George W Bush anyone? If you notice, Coons answered like a brainy know-it-all and may not have seemed as likable to the voting base. Just a thought.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:53 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
The funnest part of reading this thread is how ignorante most people are to whats in the Constitution and whats not.
Most people have never even read one...sad.
Hate to say it again but O'donnell was 100% correct......read the Constitution people.
But I think even more laughable was the fools in the audience who were giggling at O'Donnell when she was questioning Coons(the real fool and Marxis) about whats in the Constitution.

People, know the difference of whats in the Const. and what some judge "interprets" the meaning of the Const.....2 different things.

The Supreme Court has become the most power entity in this country.....Thats scary!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
The funnest part of reading this thread is how ignorante most people are to whats in the Constitution and whats not.
Most people have never even read one...sad.
Hate to say it again but O'donnell was 100% correct......read the Constitution people.
But I think even more laughable was the fools in the audience who were giggling at O'Donnell when she was questioning Coons(the real fool and Marxis) about whats in the Constitution.

People, know the difference of whats in the Const. and what some judge "interprets" the meaning of the Const.....2 different things.

The Supreme Court has become the most power entity in this country.....Thats scary!
Take another look at article 3 sections 2 and 1. If a case of law, or equity arises under the constitution, then in regards to that, case the constitution means what the supreme court says it means. There is no "2 different things" about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies