Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah you can recite the entire Constitution from memory.
You know, I was going to apologize for being insulting in my earlier posts. I'm a little ragged this morning, and looking at my posts, I was taking out my bad mood on the forum. Not very nice of me. But then I read this. And I realized if this is the caliber of your posts, then really, do you EVER have anything of substance to say? Is sticking out your tongue the BEST you have to offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 09:53 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
No, listening to the ENTIRE exchange, now I guess THAT"S too much to ask for!

“Where in the Constitution is the separation of church and state?” O'Donnell asked Coons as the audience laughed.

He said it was in the 1st Amendment.

“Let me clarify,” O’Donnell continued. “You’re telling me that separation of church and state is in 1st Amendment?”

The First amendment has nothing in it concerning the seperation of church and state, it ONLY specifies that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.
...or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

And the 14th amendment extends those governmental restrictions to state governments, who mostly already had them in their state constitutions.

Separation of church and state = prohibiting the government from respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting free exercise thereof. Since they mean the same thing, it is in the first amendment.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:02 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,602,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Take another look at article 3 sections 2 and 1. If a case of law, or equity arises under the constitution, then in regards to that, case the constitution means what the supreme court says it means. There is no "2 different things" about it.
Again O'Donnell was still right in what she said...read the constitution.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:03 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
She doesn't stand a snowballs chance in Hades of getting elected. She'll be on VH1's We love the 10's in a few years.
So true! She is nothing more than a circus act...and she knows it.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Default Memorization

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think you are a child. At one time schools required children to memorize a great deal. The Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Declaration of Independence were all committed to memory. Right along with multiplication tables. Right along with the names of countries and their capitols.

And nothing in my remarks could be construed as hysterical. It's unfortunate that you have to characterize them that way because you are unable to form a coherent argument to refute my statements.
Most people tend to gloss over that MOST learning is memorization. You memorize facts, information, math, etc.

I remember having to MEMORIZE all the things you mention, and people just don't comprehend, that most learning is memorization.. 5+9 = 14. We know this, because we memorized it, unless you actually counted it out to get the the answer...

And while I don't remember ALL of the constitution any longer, or the complete bill of rights, I remember enough of it to discuss it intelligently.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:09 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,602,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
So true! She is nothing more than a circus act...and she knows it.
Then she fits right in with Frank,Pelosi,Reid and Obama

Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Question Christine O'Donnell questions Constitutional separation of Church and State

Honestly now...

Is anyone surprised that this young woman is so clueless on basic tenets of our constitution?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Honestly now...

Is anyone surprised that this young woman is so clueless on basic tenets of our constitution?
What did she say that was actually wrong?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:29 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Honestly now...

I am not surprised at her, I am surprised at the, fortunately small, number of people that support her. However, there are other candidates, just as loony, that have more significant support. Now that is scary!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,569 times
Quote:
Honestly now...

And her opposition demonstrated the same cluelessness when trying to define the 1st amendment freedoms contained therein. But no matter, O'Donnell is a prettier and an easier pinata. Coontz is merely Harry Reid's "pet". Pitiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies