Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,023,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
ok, how many gay people do you think were actually in the military during the last 17 years? 50,000? 100,000?

My point is that 13,000 is way higher than it should have been. If those troops were dedicated soldiers then they would have kept clean and served their time.
Maybe a fraction of those were kicked out through no fault of their own... But, you're kidding yourself if you think it is more than 15%. Most of them wanted out, or were sub-par soldiers. They could have been great soldiers, but they chose to live how they wanted rather than serve their country.
A thought from out the box.

Funny, we had a extremely gay sailor on our base and Command, despite the bleeding obvious, didn't do a thing until he decided that he just didn't want to be in the military any longer and wen to Command and stated the bloody obvious, and this was 15 years before DADT. Of that 13,000 I am sure that there were quite a few who say outing themselves as being an easy ticket out of military service. But unlike tens of thousands of straight troops who have to find ever more inventive ways to get an early discharge, gays have had an automatic get out the military free card. Remove the card and a lot of troops who signed on the dotted line will just have to man or woman up and serve their time just like the thousands of straights who come to find that military life ain't what they thought it would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,704,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
A thought from out the box.

Funny, we had a extremely gay sailor on our base and Command, despite the bleeding obvious, didn't do a thing until he decided that he just didn't want to be in the military any longer and wen to Command and stated the bloody obvious, and this was 15 years before DADT. Of that 13,000 I am sure that there were quite a few who say outing themselves as being an easy ticket out of military service. But unlike tens of thousands of straight troops who have to find ever more inventive ways to get an early discharge, gays have had an automatic get out the military free card. Remove the card and a lot of troops who signed on the dotted line will just have to man or woman up and serve their time just like the thousands of straights who come to find that military life ain't what they thought it would be.
good point... The military does not need these problems.
But, I still think that the military will gladly discharge gays who want out. This whole thing is an unnecessary burden just to appease some gay rights advocates

Old 10-19-2010, 02:45 PM

152 posts, read 211,998 times
Lightbulb Re-Instate the Draft

I can already see soldiers, as they are out processing the military service; being given a survey.
One of the questions will be:
Why are you not re-enlisting?
I can already hear their response, as they throw that survey back in their face.
"If you don't know, don't ask!"
Ironic isn't it?

Old 10-19-2010, 02:50 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Enterprise CV-6 View Post
I can already see soldiers, as they are out processing the military service; being given a survey.
One of the questions will be:
Why are you not re-enlisting?
I can already hear their response, as they throw that survey back in their face.
"If you don't know, don't ask!"
Ironic isn't it?

Then maybe they didn't belong in the military in the first place.
Do you really think that would happen?
I find your post to be humorous and pathetic at the same time.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:52 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,653,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
good point... The military does not need these problems.
But, I still think that the military will gladly discharge gays who want out. This whole thing is an unnecessary burden just to appease some gay rights advocates
Think whatever you want. Your side has lost.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Think whatever you want. Your side has lost.
thats what I mean... Shouldn't we all be on the same side? My side has lost? What side would that be? I am for the United States... whose side are you on?

Old 10-19-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then maybe they didn't belong in the military in the first place.
Do you really think that would happen?
I find your post to be humorous and pathetic at the same time.
I think that was his point. They didn't belong in the military in the first place.
The gays who are serving now are not gay servicemen... They are United States servicemen, serving their country honorably. If there are gays who only now decide to join the military then I have to question their motives.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:53 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,176,222 times
Who cares?

It's not like gay people are going to flock to join the military just because they can.

Being gay and being in the military are totally unrelated things. People join the military because they want to join the military. On another level, they might be gay or straight. There's no correlation.

I have 3-4 friends who are gay and are currently in the military. They're obviously in the closet about it, but the fact they're gay has NOTHING to do with why they went into the military or why they're serving.

Being gay in the military for a gay person should mean about as much as being left handed or having brown hair. I think it's the straight people who are going to have issues with it, because a lot of straight men get this mindframe that ALL gay men MUST want to make passionate love with them and are obsessed with them. Gays could probably care less about you, and certainly aren't going to be raping you in the middle of the night or trying to "turn you gay". Straight people might be horrified that they can be turned gay, but gay people have the first hand knowledge that you can't just flip teams. It is what it is.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:54 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,763,381 times
Many years back, the issue of Gays in the Military was prominent for some reason. I was talking to someone who was a member of the tiny group who run Mississippi (a Gay man). He had said something that put the issue in perspective.

"Watch the Shower Scene in Starship Troopers. The guy gets wood, everyone acknowledges it, and that's the end of it . No biggie."

Well, an hour had not passed before Little Gloria was down to the Fashionable Video Library in Fashionable Northeast Jackson, looking for that Movie. They didn't really show anything, but my friend's point was driven home (point...driven home....oh my...). The shower on the starship was co-ed, and there were ol' tacky nekkid women up between me and what I wanted to see.... But my friend's point is that it is not the end of the world for men to see other men "in an excited state". It isn't even a bad thing. Unlike women, men tend to love to show off, and tend to love having an audience. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

And that's supposedly the huge thing everybody's so terrified of (huge...thing...oh, my...). "What if a Gay Dude sees my junk in the shower." I think the unspoken (real) fear is "What if a Gay Dude sees my junk and it turns me on, and I get excited." Well, that has happened as long as soldiers have taken showers (whether or not it was officially condoned). Only natural. Even straight eighteen-year-olds turn each other on (sounds like another win-win to me...tutto fatto a mano, no unwanted pregnancies, no VD from prostitutes...many military romances in WWII ended with both guys returning to their sweethearts back home, and living happy-hetero-ever-afters). But a lot less negative stuff will happen, if the government declares sexuality as irrelevant.

There have always been Gays in the Military. There will always be Gays in the Military. But the government's official stance on the issue makes a huge difference in how those gays are treated when, and if, their sexuality is revealed. The difference between being treated fairly, and being murdered by homophobes, will be in whether the government endorses fair treatment, or if it endorses persecution.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Who cares?

It's not like gay people are going to flock to join the military just because they can.

Being gay and being in the military are totally unrelated things. People join the military because they want to join the military. On another level, they might be gay or straight. There's no correlation.

I have 3-4 friends who are gay and are currently in the military. They're obviously in the closet about it, but the fact they're gay has NOTHING to do with why they went into the military or why they're serving.

Being gay in the military for a gay person should mean about as much as being left handed or having brown hair. I think it's the straight people who are going to have issues with it, because a lot of straight men get this mindframe that ALL gay men MUST want to make passionate love with them and are obsessed with them. Gays could probably care less about you, and certainly aren't going to be raping you in the middle of the night or trying to "turn you gay". Straight people might be horrified that they can be turned gay, but gay people have the first hand knowledge that you can't just flip teams. It is what it is.
Great post... and I agree with the basic points. I've been saying that if a soldier is serving honorably then who cares what he does in private. But I think that there will be some gays who feel pressured into joining the military now that the DADT ban is (temporarily?) lifted. Why would anyone walk into a recruiters office wearing gay clothes, earings, etc. and tell the recruiter that he's gay? People have bashed me on here because I say things that they don't want to hear.
I have stated before that if gays (or anyone) are qualified, and want to serve their country then they should. The notion that the DADT policy has discriminated against honorable servicemen is false. The argument that the military needs these critical gay soldiers is also false. The fact remains that gay people can serve now if they really want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies