Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
It's really bizarre seeing students (young people) rioting against a proposed hike in the retirement age.
Willing idiots are what those kids are. It is the unions and the communists who are running these riots and trying to keep the ferment going. Willing and unwitting idiots is what they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
If I remember correctly the life expectancy in France is like 86.7 years? So the French believe that a third of their life should be spent on youth/learning/education, another third working, and the last third enjoying old age and retiring. I agree.
Why should the government cover that last third of life? Why work and save any money at all? Why should the government set the retirement age? I think it is ridiculous. The French, producers of many wonderful things, also are just unwilling to give up their addiction to the government.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Hmm, I didn't know about that. Interesting...
The article that was linked to us says it is union people who are doing the striking and not one word about students is in that link.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It's more than just the rioting. Key infrastructure is being paralyzed, ports for instance... There are already gasoline shortages in some regions.
Many here think that any kind of thing like this one is a good example of something that I just can't stand. Somehow as long as the shortages aren't on them they don't care.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
That's BS.........the country is coming to a complete standstill and is there are gas stations all over the country running out of gas. I hardly believe 20-30K rioters could bring a country like France to a standstill. I heard rioters number at 1 million.............. I think the US mainstream media is doing everything it can to downplay what's happening there.....just like they did with the Greek bank riots. Our entire perception of what goes on in the world is shaped by a media conglomerate controlled by corporations who are in bed with our politicians.
Fox has been talking about those riots all day even showing the fires lit burning cars as the rioters try to stop the country. Try watching a channel that is willing to show what is going on.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Yes on the rich. Who do you think have been sucking money off the workers...........not just the government but the corporations. When the average CEO nowadays makes 1000 times the average worker something is wrong. Most worker pay doesn't even keep up with inflation in America. Anyone making a billion dollars a year should be taxed at 70%. I don't care if you are Bill Gates no one human being is worth a billion dollars nor do they create a billion dollars worth of value in an economy. Also you get rid of the speculative banks and financial institutions who keep inflating and destroying our money supply. Same thing happens with France. You cut the defense budget in half and bring our troops home. Close the 700+ bases we have in 100+ countries. You seal the southern border until we can get our country back in check. Let Mexico deal with their corruption. You decriminalize all drugs so you take the power away from drug cartels. I could go on and on. Our country (the USA) needs TRILLIONS of dollars invested just to MAINTAIN our infrastructure.....i.e. roads, bridges, etc. Yet we are building or have built a billion dollar record size embassy in Iraq! Yes something is very wrong with America..........very wrong! The politicians and the corporatists DONT CARE ABOUT AMERICA! They care about their pocket book............being American doesnt mean anything anymore. At least the French know what it means to be French. Let the employers pay for everything...........and if the French economy fails they can go back to eating cheese and drinking wine !
Inflation? In the US? Don't you know that the old folks here failed to get their COLA payments for a year and now the second year because they (the government) say we haven't had enough inflation to call for those raises. I guess you don't know about that, though.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Now that puts the riots with Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal and now France.
All over austerity measures..i.e. cutting public worker pensions and upping their retirement age.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The father from Happy Days died? Wah.

And how are the French the original Revolutionaries? They got the idea from the Americans.
Most of these lefties don't know about the French getting the idea to revolt from the Americans although their revolution, they talk about happened about a dozen years after ours.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Why should the government cover that last third of life? Why work and save any money at all? Why should the government set the retirement age? I think it is ridiculous. The French, producers of many wonderful things, also are just unwilling to give up their addiction to the government.
Well then why have any taxes at all? Why don't we just abandoned the social contract altogether. Let's privatize everything. Parks, public roads, bridges, etc. I'm sure traffic would be very efficient if you had to pay every time you hit a traffic light or a stop sign. You want to travel down my road...........you'll have to give me that gold watch you have on your wrist.....I think humanity has been down that road before.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now that puts the riots with Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal and now France.
All over austerity measures..i.e. cutting public worker pensions and upping their retirement age.
The UK is next since they are starting to cut bureaucracies in their government in order to get out from under their mounting debt. I think we will get there much later since our government will not be doing away with bureaucracy very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies