Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:05 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
That was a stupid thing to do...all of us who have worked these kinds of low-paying jobs at some point in our lives know to JUST GIVE THEM THE MONEY if there's a gun involved. He's damn lucky he wasn't killed during his "hero act"...if it was your own business, I could understand wanting to fight back, but it would still be a bad idea unless you're trained and skilled at that kind of stuff.
having been in a similar position to the store manager, that of having a gun pointed at you and being robbed, i agree with what the store manager did. he felt that he would be killed anyway, and thus took the action he did to give himself a fighting chance at preserving his life. had i felt the same way, that of impending death, when i was robbed at gun point, i also would have fought the robber. instead i let the guy have the cash and let the cops deal with him in their own way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times
It's not so much wanting to fight back (the anger comes later once the fear and adreniline are gone) rather it's the desire to survive.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:13 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Most people can't hit a target from ten feet away with a handgun let alone a moving target. Until I started shooting I had no idea how inaccurate handguns are unless you really know what you are doing. Since most crooks are usually dumb, lazy and uneducated you can bet most don't have any idea how to use their weapon properly.
But sometimes they get lucky - Parole absconder charged with robbery in shooting case News Tribune . I link to that article because the guy that was shot 3 times (not the criminal) and I belong to another forum and he has gone into extreme detail on the shooting. It was a similar situation where the criminal herded everyone into a back room. When the shots started both were diving for cover and it was over in a matter of seconds. The good guy was hit in 4 places by 3 shots (one shot went through his stomach area and hand) and the bad guy was only hit in the hand.

I'm not going to take a chance when my life is on the line. That's why I carry. That's why I have paid to be trained by a professional. That's why I practice what I learned in my training.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I certainly don't see where it's necessary. This guy seemed to do just fine without one.
I'm pro-choice on the matter of gun ownship.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
And I'm opposed to being shot by some knucklehead with a gun, perhaps trying to rob me. Or some woman I'm living with using it on me because we're having an argument.

People should defend themselves physically. Only the weak need a crutch.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And I'm opposed to being shot by some knucklehead with a gun, perhaps trying to rob me. Or some woman I'm living with using it on me because we're having an argument.

People should defend themselves physically. Only the weak need a crutch.
that is your choice, but if someone is coming after me with a gun, i want one myself to end the fight quickly, and with them going down and not me.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:15 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Don't let this thread get into a gun rights debate. Ignore the dumb anti-gun comment.

Anyways, it is too bad there is not another camera angle on this. I would love to see this guy getting pummeled.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:22 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
He should have shot him and saved the tax payers some money. Off camera, of course.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-22-2010, 09:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
This is a good one too, but did not end up as well...:

Old Guy Smashes Beer Bottle On Robber*Video

Old 10-23-2010, 06:17 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that is your choice, but if someone is coming after me with a gun, i want one myself to end the fight quickly, and with them going down and not me.
No one's ever been shot dead with a gun in their hand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies