Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did NPR make a mistake by firing Juan Williams
yes 146 86.90%
no 17 10.12%
other 2 1.19%
not sure 3 1.79%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:45 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Compared to the 2003 Kroc donation Soros' grant is peanuts.
NPR doesn't get a lot of public funding, I guess they could easily survive without it.
Regardless of unavoidable incidents like the current one, I like NPR It is probably the only such American organization whose quality can compare with international counterparts such as BBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
If find it really fascinating how the Left has abandoned all pretenses of their phony mantra of believing in free speech and diversity of thought and opinion.

This just seals the deal how truly despicable they are - trying to silence those, even those on their side of the aisle, when that person doesn't tow their propaganda line.

And to go after liberals who appear on Fox News is just so insane, it's hard to even get your mind around what these nutjobs are thinking.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:57 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
During the Anita Hill hearings, the "liberal" (LOL) Juan Williams vigorously defended Clarence Thomas. Those are not the actions of a liberal Democrat.

Juan Williams is quite simply NOT A REAL LIBERAL
Really?

A he said-she said situation and of course you will believe the one whose ideological side of the aisle you're on. There wasn't a shred of corroborating evidence from anybody and she just all of a sudden remembered after the democrats dredged her up.

Juan is a good democrat, honest, fair, but he hasn't gone off the cliff like so many of those on the same side of aisle.

Isn't it amazing who is defending Juan from the dangerous political correctness and censorship of the Left? The Right is!

Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Yes, and I think BTC nailed it.

I do not think anyone can say there is never a situations where other humans of varied attire, tats, hair condition or the lack there of, make them nervous.
Can we include militant New Black Panthers in dress carrying billy clubs outside a polling place?

I would be at first, but then I'd walk right past them daring one to swing on me.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
NPR bowed to CAIR in the firing of Juan Williams. How's that for freedom of speech under sharia law?

CAIR Asks NPR to Address Analyst's Remarks on Muslims - PR Newswire - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/2010/10/20/3119001/cair-asks-npr-to-address-analysts.html - broken link)

WASHINGTON, Oct. 20 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A prominent national Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization today called on National Public Radio (NPR) to address analyst Juan Williams' statement that airline passengers in "Muslim garb" make him "nervous." (Williams is a news analyst for both NPR and Fox News.)

If the point of CAIR is to improve relations with Islamists, in this case they have failed miserably.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
What so many people don't seem to realize is that broadcasters can and will fire anyone for making a comment they think will hurt their bottom line. It's about money, not "truth" or anything altruistic like that. Ol' Juan made a careless comment that his employer didn't like, and it got him fired. That's how the broadcasting cookie crumbles, baby. So what?
That's BS.

He was fired as a warning so that others will stay in line.

Big spooky man axed him. First shot across the bow at FOX News.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:06 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,032 times
Yikes! People have to be so careful what they say on TV/Radio these days!

Old 10-21-2010, 01:12 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Can we include militant New Black Panthers in dress carrying billy clubs outside a polling place?
Absolutely NOT!!! Especially if you do not wish to be called names by the extreme left.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I am not a fan of willimas but he should be able to speak the trutyh as to hiow he feels in such circumstances. NPR needs to lose their public fundihng for this attempt at halting freee speech.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,306 times
Yanno, I'm very liberal/democratic.. but I have to disagree with this. Political Correctness is (if it hasn't already) going to be the death of this country. Where I am all for the First Amendment and support it 100%, I DO think there are lines to be crossed. Clearly I don't believe people shouldn't spit out HATEful terms and words at or about people--especially if they are in radio/media. But, what he said was an opinion. He didn't say OMG THEY R GOING TO DEF BLOW UP PLANE--he said he gets a bit nervous. So what? I think in a situation where he (or someone else) was on a plane with muslims and they started to act out and freak out until the muslims where thrown off, especially if the Muslims sat there and minded there own business.

I don't know, this is getting ridiculous anymore. I don't want to see Muslims be treated as second class citizens but lately there is just too much "omg what about the muslims" kind of antics going on. Are we liberals/democrats REALLY all about "helping defend" them.. or are we seriously petrified like hell, so we bow to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies