Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:03 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
America has never been a "beacon of good."

Murdering heads-of-state in cold blood, over-throwing governments, stealing resources from countries, well I just don't see how any christian could ever see that as something "good."

Is that in the bible somewhere, Roy? I must have missed that part. Maybe it was in the Sermon on the Oil Rig: "Blessed he who murders and steals his neighbor's oil, for he shall have liquid laundry detergent and gel caps, and pretty colored shirts and frosted lip-stick and a multitude of artificial colorings and flavorings for the frozen dinners that have to be heated in a microwave."
I tried to say what I think Obama wants to do in a nice way. I guess you didn't take it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 02:30 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The electoral college is there because Andrew Jackson didn't want to lose another election.
And for the reason I mentioned (so the 4 or 5 most populous states don't decide an election).

Old 10-25-2010, 06:26 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Lightbulb How really bad was George W. Bush?

As an individual, I understand that he's personally charming and likable.

The reality is that I (and 300 million other Americans) will never have a personal relationship with him. Our relationship was that he was our president and tasked with acting in the national interest. And he did a horrible job.

In a nutshell:

He entered office with America at peace and with a prosperous economy.

He left office with two badly mismanaged wars (one completely unjustifiable) that had devolved into unwinnable quagmires and left us with the worst economic crisis in generations.

The record is clear and unmistakable: Bush will go into history as one of the worst ever presidents.

Hey, I don't know, but maybe Herbert Hoover was a nice guy, too. History tends to focus on actions/results.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:29 AM

Thumbs down please... enough with the hyperbole

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
But Obama has never wanted to turn America back into a beacon of good. He wants to destroy it as we have known it and is doing a very good job.
Ridiculous. A clear case of having had a Limbotomy.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I want to destroy the America that thinks it is the New World Empire that decides who gets what resources when and invades countries that don’t cooperate. We cannot afford to be the cop of the world so the Saudi Royals can make perpetual profits without paying for the protection. We cannot afford to have all our money gambled by a financial elite on the next speculative boom.

I want to recreate an America where discrimination is due to race, religion, sex, sexual preference and selection of parents is ended. An America where there is actual equal opportunity for all and not just for the Haves and Have Mores. An America where being wealthy buys you things, but not exclusivity. An America that we have never had but should have.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:46 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
As an individual, I understand that he's personally charming and likable.

The reality is that I (and 300 million other Americans) will never have a personal relationship with him. Our relationship was that he was our president and tasked with acting in the national interest. And he did a horrible job.

In a nutshell:

He entered office with America at peace and with a prosperous economy.

He left office with two badly mismanaged wars (one completely unjustifiable) that had devolved into unwinnable quagmires and left us with the worst economic crisis in generations.

The record is clear and unmistakable: Bush will go into history as one of the worst ever presidents.

Hey, I don't know, but maybe Herbert Hoover was a nice guy, too. History tends to focus on actions/results.
Actually, Wade, G.W. Bush entered office with an economy going into a recession. Far from being a "prosperous" economy.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:03 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,471 times
in a matter of a few days, there will be no doubt of the popularity and effectiveness of Obamalama-ding-dong

I cant wait to watch him whine and cry about the Republican held HoR as they slap him into a lame duck two years

Old 10-27-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Actually, Wade, G.W. Bush entered office with an economy going into a recession. Far from being a "prosperous" economy.

FAR more prosperous than the economy he left...

Old 10-27-2010, 02:34 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
FAR more prosperous than the economy he left...
I guess you missed the part about 52 months of growth. When did the economy turn south?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:07 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,358 times
The worst ever - even worse than the bunghole LBJ - hey I just noticed the 2 worst presidents ever are from TEXAS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies