Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
"The countries that stimulated hardest, like South Korea, came out of recession first."

Look what good the U.S. stimulus has done for the U.S.
Probably the author of that article has no idea how large our stimulus, that turned out to be pork for good buddies, was. I don't know about South Korea's stimulus but haven't seen anybody else who had one as large as ours was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 12:13 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Follow what is happening in the UK right now.. Thatcher reborn - massive hatchet slashing of government spending, welfare cuts, corporate tax allowances etc etc all that you want. Lets just wait and watch the consequences...

Johann Hari: A colder, crueller country – for no gain - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent
Interestingly, even Cameron is to the left of almost everyone in both parties in America. The UK has national health care and everyone wants to keep it. The current government wants to means-test benefits like child credits. That would be called "class warfare" here.

I vote solidly Dem here but would probably support the Conservatives in the UK.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaida View Post

I DO dread, even fear the thought of the REPUBLICANS GETTING BACK in OFFICE because there is no doubt in my mind that they will finish the destruction of our beloved country. If it happened SO MANY TIMES before in our history, IT WILL happen again because the REPUBLICANS have no plans as to how to bring this country back to the comfortable state it was in in the '90s when the DEMOCRATS was in; that IS before the REPUBLICANS came with their wrecking crew in 2000.

All they know is "war," supposely, they believe, to boost the economy, but war didn't boost the economy for George W. BUSH; it took us DOWN to where we are and neither did it do ANYTHING for our economy when his dad GEORGE HW Bush was in office and went to war.

!
I think that you really don't know much about our history or how our government operates. For instance, surely you know that the Republicans taking over the Congress will have little effect on the destruction of this nation. Surely you know that TheWon will still be in office with his veto pen in hand and the Republicans can't get enough votes in either house to override a veto. Nope, the messiah can still save us unless he turns on people like you.

As for history, I guess you don't know that the Republicans took over the Congress in 1993 after the election. It wasn't Democrats who caused the great times of the 90s but it was a Democrat President who went nearer the center to go along with the new Congress. Nope, Republicans were in control most of the 90s with a Dem President and things improved.

Speaking of wars and the economy, is there a chance that FDR did very little to improve out economy other than getting into WW II? How about the Korean War, that Truman got us in before the UN ordered him to do so? It was Eisenhower, a Republican, who first sent unarmed advisors to Vietnam but it was another Dem, JFK who made it into a war with more troops.

How long have you been here to reason as you seem to do? It appears to me that you haven't experienced these things, as I have, and are taking the words of the far left as your sources.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:40 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Its like a drug addict going through withdrawals. Is the answer really to keep snorting and shooting up?
Do you know what drug users do with extra cash? They buy stronger drugs Thats what happens when we give additional tax money to the druggies (i.e. Pelosi, Reid, Obama)
Those consequences usually result in death
Sure, the withdrawal period sucks, but there's no other way out. We must stop wasteful spending, and we must cut gov't down to size.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Bad medicine, giving the comatose patient a sedative. Unless the UK's economy is getting too strong. People in the U.S. are not looking for a free ride, they are quite willing to work hard. Even those with the "I got mine" attitude have to realize they could lose it too if misguided austerity measures hit the U.S.
"Misguided austerity measures"? Are you really in favor of more stimulus like the last attempt that hasn't stimulated one thing?

People in the US have not had the same amount of government goodies that the people of Europe have had up to now so, yes they will work their way out of this but we have to stop those who would make us more dependent on the government before they get caught up to Europe.

I know the effort is being made but it can be stopped before it goes too far.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Its like a drug addict going through withdrawals. Is the answer really to keep snorting and shooting up?
Do you know what drug users do with extra cash? They buy stronger drugs Thats what happens when we give additional tax money to the druggies (i.e. Pelosi, Reid, Obama)
Those consequences usually result in death
Sure, the withdrawal period sucks, but there's no other way out. We must stop wasteful spending, and we must cut gov't down to size.
The wasteful spending you refer to is aimed at growing the dependency on the government of more and more people. Someone in control knows what the results of this crap will be and we all know who that someone is

Old 10-22-2010, 12:53 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Follow what is happening in the UK right now.. Thatcher reborn - massive hatchet slashing of government spending, welfare cuts, corporate tax allowances etc etc all that you want. Lets just wait and watch the consequences...

Johann Hari: A colder, crueller country – for no gain - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent
You are just seeing the chaos planned by the One World Order people being carried out. They want the chaos. We're next. Just remember you wealth redistributors, when it comes to the world your $40,000 income makes you a rich guy.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:

I wonder if your story will get through to any Democrats in this nation. I am saying that the bigger the government gets the worse it will hurt when the cuts have to be made, and we have people who believe the bigger it is the better things will be in control now. The more people our government piles on itself the worse the pain will be when they realize they have to cut.

Also, you might look at the fact that the UK has had national health care since the 1940s and that has caused much of the problem. Here we are just getting started with that stuff so we can make the cuts a bit easier than in the UK.

However, we still have our printing presses in DC running and can keep printing dollars until they get completely worthless.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:14 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
As for history, I guess you don't know that the Republicans took over the Congress in 1993 after the election.
1995, Mr. American Government teacher.

Quote:
It wasn't Democrats who caused the great times of the 90s but it was a Democrat President who went nearer the center to go along with the new Congress. Nope, Republicans were in control most of the 90s with a Dem President and things improved.
Unemployment and the deficit declined every year of the Clinton adminstration, with and without a Republican Congress. You are correct that Clinton governed as a centrist, although almost no Republicans were saying so publicly at the time.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:22 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
The term austerity is not in the American version of the English Dictionary, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies