Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:48 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,587,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Ever heard of "promote the incompetent" to get them out of the way?

It 100% has happened in the military, and not uncommonly.

Note: I don't know this Lt Col so I am not leveling this at him, but am more directly quoting the above statement in general.

Ah, yes. The Peter Principle at work.

Peter Principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The military also has the authority to pull the POTUS out of office and put the country under military leadership until a new President is put in place. They absolutely have that authority.

Crazy talk.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:49 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,774,333 times
Quote:
That part in the oath that ALL military members take. You know, the part where it says that they will protect the Constitution from both enemies oreign and domestic? Do you recall that part? That's what authorizes them to do that.
Ummm no. You are greatly misinterprating what that means (as someone who has taken that oath and still has it applying to him).

Now lets just say the President was a full blown traitor per say, Congress and civilian enforcement (now known as the FBI) would handle that as it would be an impeachable event. It would not authorize the military to do anything UNLESS the act involved foreigners attacking, but then again the military would concentrate on the external threat...

Dang just coming up with that story makes me think I'm on something...

Old 10-22-2010, 11:52 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,313,675 times
Quote:
I guess you people don't realize that the military must question ALL orders and make a decision on it's lawfulness. If they are asked to cross the line, they are expected to disobey. It is their duty to do so. They take an oath to protect the Constitution from enemies both foreign and domestic. That is their number 1 duty.
The military is under civilian control. They can choose to disobey an order. At that time the officers refusing to disobey this order should be court marshaled. At that time the constitutionality can be resolved.

Again any officer has the right to refuse an order. But most officers KNOW a court marshal effectively ends any further chance of career advancement.

How many officers are willing to take that chance?

Old 10-22-2010, 11:58 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,313,675 times
Quote:
The military also has the authority to pull the POTUS out of office and put the country under military leadership until a new President is put in place. They absolutely have that authority.
Now you have truly crossed into the absurd. The Constitution of the United States is the basis of ALL LAWS in this country. The Constitution confers NO SUCH rights or privileges for the United States military to become involved in the civilian political process.

Can you cite any law that says otherwise.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:02 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,534,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Crazy talk.
Is it?? I believe they do have the authority to do it.

Really if the POTUS wanted the big button pressed without Congress. Would they or pull his sorry ass out of the WH.

I guess research is needed on this.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 PM

47,017 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
What exactly does that oath that ALL military personnel take mean? What does this mean?
In the scenario you're outlining, not a lot. You can't defend the Constitution by circumventing it.

Anyway, it's your statement, you do the reasoning. Cite constitutional support or case law - hell, some sort of commentary from a constitutional framer - that mentions a military coup and military rule as a legal action under the Constitution.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:20 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,534,784 times
We have this.

Amendment XXV (1967)

Section 1. In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.
Section 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.
Section 3. Whenever the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties shall be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President.
Section 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.
Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post

Really if the POTUS wanted the big button pressed without Congress. Would they or pull his sorry ass out of the WH.

My guess is they just wouldn't respond to such a blatantly illegal command. I doubt they'd mount a WH coup. They are not a branch of law enforcement.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:25 PM

47,017 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post

Different scenario. Refusing an order does not constitute "pull the POTUS out of office and put the country under military leadership until a new President is put in place". That's the absurdity under discussion.

There's a huge difference between refusing to carry out an order and usurping the authority to give orders.

"Sir, protocol requires Congressional consent to carry out that order" is not "pulling the POTUS out of office".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies