Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times

Advertisements

I'm not even going to read anything beyond the title... so tell me if I'm wrong or right.

This thread was started to use the hotel fire as an example of why the WTC couldn't have collapsed due to a fire.

How am I doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 04:33 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,648,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is refreshing to see a union with some backbone stand up against a bully corporation and say HELL NO to huge cuts in their benefits! The company tried to bully the union by issuing threats to "move to Louisiana" and "move to Mexico" if the workers refused to take a 10% cut in pay, 3 days less in vacation and huge cuts in the medical and dental benefits. And the workers told them rightfully to go straight to hell. Sometimes you just got to put all the chips on the table and let the dice fall where they will.

Machinists Reject Hawker Beechcraft Offer

Oh, and the company is not LOSING money either:

The Kathryn Report: Hawker Beechcraft sales down, profit up in 2nd Quarter (http://www.thekathrynreport.com/2009/08/hawker-beechcraft-sales-down-profit-up.html - broken link)
Solidarity, you have my support

These parasites are always threatening to move to some third world country or state. I hope they are contacting the other unions to present a united front.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,862,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The layoffs were going to happen anyway. The company had already said that it was going to lay off 800 union people and move the work to Mexico REGARDLESS of whether the union voted up or down. Then they said that if the union did not vote the way the company wanted- AND give up the remaining time on the current contract- that they would move the whole company to Louisiana. I guess they figure people who carry dead Possums in their lunch pails will work for nothing but I sure as hell would not get on an airplane built by them!

How rude and utterly ridiculous!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:25 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,859,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
that same statement could have been said for Eastern, PanAm, etc

unions were a good thing long ago...but then they became greedy, and corupt

you think the corporations are bad..the unions are worse
Yes, unions are worse than corporations. They are demanding benefits so high that a company can no longer pay a worker and be profitable. I would rather take a cut in pay and benefits than become a mere beggar looking for scraps from the government. Being unemployed is FAR WORSE than taking a cut in pay and benefits.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:47 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,657,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Yes, unions are worse than corporations. They are demanding benefits so high that a company can no longer pay a worker and be profitable. I would rather take a cut in pay and benefits than become a mere beggar looking for scraps from the government. Being unemployed is FAR WORSE than taking a cut in pay and benefits.
B.S. Who decides how many times a cut in pay should happen? Who will look out for your interests as a worker? Who will strive to include you the worker in the financial outcome of your labor? Who will care about you when you are too sick or injured to work? Who will go to the government on behalf of the workers interests and attempt to pass legislation restricting hours worked or your care when you are injured on the job?

If you answered "the boss" on any of the above questions you probably will be disappointed when these issues come to the fore on your job. The boss is looking out for his own interests, and that is as it should be in a free society. On the other hand the worker likewise needs to look out for his own interests, singularly the worker can be ignored or worse pitted against other workers for a competition to see who is hurting enough to accept the boss's lowest wage and benefit offer, together and organized the workers can make demands on an otherwise uncaring boss. The boss goes to the cheap labor markets because they're cheap period, no union will accept their members living in third world conditions just to assure a profit.

For those who contend that unions are driving out the US business's to foreign countries, what is the driving force of those leaving the US who aren't union employers? Think about it, this nation was at one time ran by some of the most ruthless employers you would ever want to see, there were no unions, do you want to go back to those days when the boss was God? Unions are really more relevant today than they were in the last fifty years, workers are getting screwed every where, jobs are flowing to those countries where labor is not just cheap, life itself is cheap in these low wage nations. Don't let the rich boys paid radio mouthpieces sway you, think for yourself and ask yourself if you think your boss really cares about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies