Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 02:16 PM

88,298 posts, read 84,311,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Halloween is my favorite holiday If you don't like Halloween I guess not celebrating would be best. My husband and I don't love Christmas so we tend to go off somewhere warm for Christmas and New Years and that works really well for us

We and 150 of our closest friends go away for the weend and all dress up for Halloween for the entire weekend. We have Halloween contest and everything! We love every minute of it! Lots of hot tub sitting, pool party, dancing, bar hopping etc.
Where I used to live there was a newspaper article one year about a couple that got married on Halloween. They were big Civil War buffs, and they got married dressed as Scarlett and Rhett. They had some Abe Lincolns, Robert E. Lees, etc., as guests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 02:18 PM

88,298 posts, read 84,311,090 times
[quote=Avengerfire;16376842]Yeah, stuff like that is huge in my city.

The gays especially love Halloween. (Not a slight. It is true.)[/quote]

Oh yes, it is. Every year people come into New York City's Greenwich Village just to see the annual Halloween Parade.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/mus...loween2008.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

It's a really big deal. There are Halloween costume stores open all over the city right now. They'll be gone the day after Halloween.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:14 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In 1999 I took two months family leave to care for my grandmother while my mother had surgery. She would fall asleep around 11 a.m. every day, and I discovered that from 11 to 12 they showed two episodes of Dark Shadows on the Sci-Fi Channel! I used to come home from school to watch it every day when it was on originally. Watching it again, I realized what a good story it was--Barnabas was a reluctant vampire who hated his fate. I didn't realize that as a kid. The props were pretty hokey, though, especially the rubber bat on the string that you could see, lol. Anyway, when I went back to work, I bought some of the tapes so I could watch some more of it.
My brother once had a night job and was home during the day. He got into "Dark Shadows". I remember watching it with him a few times. Lots of fun. We were in our late teens at the time.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:32 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,267,652 times
One of the things I'd like to do before I kick the bucket someday is to experience Halloween in New Orleans. I've been told that it's much like Mardi Gras but on a lesser scale, with considerably fewer tourists.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:09 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,759,484 times
Quote:
In 1999 I took two months family leave to care for my grandmother while my mother had surgery. She would fall asleep around 11 a.m. every day, and I discovered that from 11 to 12 they showed two episodes of Dark Shadows on the Sci-Fi Channel! I used to come home from school to watch it every day when it was on originally. Watching it again, I realized what a good story it was--Barnabas was a reluctant vampire who hated his fate. I didn't realize that as a kid. The props were pretty hokey, though, especially the rubber bat on the string that you could see, lol. Anyway, when I went back to work, I bought some of the tapes so I could watch some more of it.

OMG I remember that show, Barnabus was soooo ugly and it was the first time I heard what a witch was when they introduced the character Angelique Bouchard. I used to look forward to watching it after School.

Halloween is a lot of fun for many people but not everyone. I see nothing stupid or wrong with adults dressing up for a night of fun at adult parties/private parties. I don't care for it at work.

I do however think it's dangerous for children to go door to door to strangers for candy. If I were a parent I would much prefer haveing a party at home for my children. They could invite their friends from School, club s they belong to and relatives where whoever wants to dress up does and whoever doen't want to doesn't have to. Really any simple thing would do it doesn't have to be a bought commercialized costume. I would have games, prizes, candy and healthy snacks and just plain scary fun for the kids. This way I would know they are all safe inside with an adult who knows their family and where the parents know where they are. If Schools don't already do this I think it would be great if all Schools had half day for the children and have games to play at School and healthy fresh fruit snacks for them.

For the children raised in religious homes I would suggest as I did with my Sister to let the kids dress up as religious figures or cute lady bugs or creepy bugs.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:21 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,267,652 times
I won't say "where" (in case anyone out there would like to get ideas about ruining it), but in my old grade school ~ in one of those politically-correct liberal states ~ all the kids are still excused for 30 minutes to parade through town in costumes, and it's called the Halloween Parade! Probably the sole place left in its state to still brave doing it, and it does my heart good.

renault, I agree about the "Auld Lang Syne" song, too. Something about the melody IS a bit depressing and I've never liked it.

I love NY's Eve, though, but on a different level. I've yet to follow through with a loose NY's Eve dinner plan, because by then I'm "done" with the holidays. But I usually schedule an extra day off to enjoy a 4-day wknd just to blob around and ring in the New Year with laziness and extra rest.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:27 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,452,518 times
I bought some Halloween candy. For me of course.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:36 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,322,981 times
Quote:
Oh yeah I watched Dark Shadows. When it was a soap opera oh yeah I'm old.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,190,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
But...but...it is also the Day of the DEAD. That is actually two days. The first day is for innocents.

The Navajo also have the day of the dead.

And its my freaking birthday. And I will be like 40.
Happy birthday! Hope you have a fun day. 40 is a great age.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:53 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,190,445 times
I LOVE Halloween. We live in the country, just outside of the very small town where my children go to school. The entire community is out in the streets on Halloween night--it's like a huge block party. Everyone knows everyone else, it's very family oriented, and the kids have a blast. As far as older kids trick or treating--we know every single person who lives in the community, so it's not scary at all and no big deal. It's very small town America, and really fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies