Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:28 PM

37,968 posts, read 22,147,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
But it's your money not the feds.
No, it's free money from 0bama's stash.

I have driven all over the United States and I have never noticed a problem with the signs.

This is such a waste of money and material. BTW, I wonder what the carbon foot print on this will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 07:30 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,098 times
A government big enough to supply you with everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.

Enough said.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Second, how can mixed letters be more legible? It seems when you want to get someone's attention you use all CAPS.
Because they are more unique.

PENNSYLVANIA
Pennsylvania

In this case we have a y going below the line, an l above the rest of the letters and a dotted i.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:36 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Also, just a general comment, when local and state governments publicize the pain federal mandates will cost them, they are angling for more federal funds, not a withdrawal of the mandate.
More than a little ironic I'd say. That and how many lives saved goes into that math? How many car accidents avoided, how many disfiguring or disabling incidents? Prevention never gets it's propers anymore.

I've seen many signs around this neck of the woods with all the color washed off a stop sign. I know it's shape and I'm not a newcomer anymore but it could easily be missed by someone who is.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:39 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
No, it's free money from 0bama's stash.

I have driven all over the United States and I have never noticed a problem with the signs.

This is such a waste of money and material. BTW, I wonder what the carbon foot print on this will be.
Obama forces everyone to drive on the right side of the road and bathe at least once a week too! OH LIBERTY!!! WHY HATH THOU FORSAKEN US!!!?

Old 10-23-2010, 07:42 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Maybe because this is not the time to be causing even more economic strain on already financially strapped state budgets?

Lets see...

Extended unemployment

more people forced on to Medicaid

more people forced in food stamps

and now street sign mandates.

I'm sure their are other costs the 0bama admin has been forcing on to the states.
I see your point; however, unfunded mandates have been a practice for many decades by many administrations. So much so that Congress had to pass an act to regulate unfunded mandates...

http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/h...Mandates_7.pdf

The Clean Air Act, the American Disabilities Act, No Child Left Behind all are examples of unfunded mandates to state and local governments. All I'm saying is don't hate the player, hate the game.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:50 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
More than a little ironic I'd say. That and how many lives saved goes into that math? How many car accidents avoided, how many disfiguring or disabling incidents? Prevention never gets it's propers anymore.

I've seen many signs around this neck of the woods with all the color washed off a stop sign. I know it's shape and I'm not a newcomer anymore but it could easily be missed by someone who is.
Governments use cost-benefit. The link only stated the cost, not the benefit. Although the benefit analysis usually involves a lot more speculation. It's impossible to put an actual cost to a fatality.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:50 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
That's ridiculous, the signs should be replaced as needed. What's the rush?
Obama needs to bankrupt the country ASAP so he can become dictator and put us under martial law.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:53 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
That's ridiculous, the signs should be replaced as needed. What's the rush?
"Local highway departments have until 2018 in most cases to replace the signs"

Doesn't seem like all that much of a rush. The states would probably replace them within those 7 years (needed or not) anyway. Honestly I would rather WA spent time and money replacing these signs than installing the useless "Active Traffic Management" signs that will require far more maintenance. Sadly this project is also paid for with federal funds, so you're all helping to pay for them.

But hey, they said it worked in Europe, so they're doing it here, these will probably be the next federal mandate.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:58 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,753 times
I do know that studies have found that a combination of upper and lower case letters are easier to read. Nursing homes use this configuration on patient's rooms, etc. for this reason. That being said, I wonder what union might be involved with the replacement of street signs???

Last edited by GottaBMe; 10-23-2010 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies