Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:49 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Actually, no. All superior officers are addressed as Sir or Ma'am without exception. Superiors address subordinates by rank and surname. This is true of all commissioned officers, warrant officers, staff NCOs, NCOs and non-rates. Following recruit training, enlisted personnel address each other by rank and surname in all cases. A PFC would address a Sergent Major as Sergent Major (surname) and a Private as Private (surname).

As for the generals thing, I was my Company Commander's radioman and always with the officers. I never heard any officer address any superior officer as anything except Sir or Ma'am.
You are referring to a relaxed, informal atmosphere, when everyone knows each other and is continually coming into contact with each other. In an environment like that, you would only salute a superior officer the first time. It all depends on the officer in charge, I've know field grade officers that always demanded to be referred to as "colonel" by everyone.

This is twenty two years of Marine Corps talking, when you are addressing general grade officers in a formal setting, you address them as "general" and not as "sir". A non-com enlisted can get away with calling a general "sir" but not a SNCO or an officer. Its just customary to address a general this way, or you risk coming off as disrespectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 07:11 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You are referring to a relaxed, informal atmosphere, when everyone knows each other and is continually coming into contact with each other. In an environment like that, you would only salute a superior officer the first time. It all depends on the officer in charge, I've know field grade officers that always demanded to be referred to as "colonel" by everyone.

This is twenty two years of Marine Corps talking, when you are addressing general grade officers in a formal setting, you address them as "general" and not as "sir". A non-com enlisted can get away with calling a general "sir" but not a SNCO or an officer. Its just customary to address a general this way, or you risk coming off as disrespectful.
I found a link to this:

(1) Addressing Officers: Use "Sir" whenever addressing officers; however, if acquainted with the officer, it is preferable to use both grade and name, e.g., "Good afternoon, Colonel SANDS." Whenever addressing a general officer, it is customary to use "General" in lieu of "Sir." When verbally addressing Generals, Lieutenant Colonels, and First and Second Lieutenants, use their short title, i.e., "Good morning, Colonel." It is an old-time tradition that, when you address an officer, you speak in the third party.

UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (http://www.cpp.usmc.mil/schools/corporals/SH/0107.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies