Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
as a self employed carpenter I have more new work. the fly by night idiots are bankrupt or left town and either took their Mexicans with them or abandoned them. sometimes it is a good thing to flush out the system and get rid of the slime. us longtime pros are finally getting a break from the hacks
One bright spot in this mess ?

I am glad to hear that. As a homeowner it's like gambling in Vegas when you hire contractors to do work on your home. I heavily rely on word of mouth and recommendations. There's more than our fair share of horror stories about shoddy/incomplete workmanship out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 06:51 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
My brother-in-law's flooring business has seen a drop in the number of customers he gets. He just has his head above water. Hopefully the worst will be over soon, it's still a good sign he managed to survive 2008 and 2009 and this year as well

Old 10-25-2010, 07:05 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My brother-in-law's flooring business has seen a drop in the number of customers he gets. He just has his head above water. Hopefully the worst will be over soon, it's still a good sign he managed to survive 2008 and 2009 and this year as well
No offense but do you honestly think the worst will be over soon? That's not unbrainwashed thinking there. The worst is yet to come. The DOW is going to drop, the bottom is going to fall out of the housing sector, unemployment is going up. Sorry but you and your brother need to prepare for the inevitable.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:04 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
We're planning on getting our bathroom redone in the early Spring and I'm hoping to get either a deal or have the contractor jumping at the chance for some business. New home starts are the lowest in over 10 years, not a bad thing. I like green space.
I'd say retail and office space are way down and mall/ office owners are losing big in rent losses. The banks must be sitting on these losses and won't be able to do so forever. We have two new office complexes for sale and both are mostly empty. Strip malls( we have too many) have empty store fronts as does the Mall.
I'm looking for a used car and keep thinking prices should be down but they aren't. Maybe people are keeping their used cars or asking for what they think they are worth, or dealers are playing hard ball. You worry that people may be neglecting maintenance, running their cars into the ground and then trying to get what theyc an for them.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
We're planning on getting our bathroom redone in the early Spring and I'm hoping to get either a deal or have the contractor jumping at the chance for some business. New home starts are the lowest in over 10 years, not a bad thing. I like green space.
I'd say retail and office space are way down and mall/ office owners are losing big in rent losses. The banks must be sitting on these losses and won't be able to do so forever. We have two new office complexes for sale and both are mostly empty. Strip malls( we have too many) have empty store fronts as does the Mall.
I'm looking for a used car and keep thinking prices should be down but they aren't. Maybe people are keeping their used cars or asking for what they think they are worth, or dealers are playing hard ball. You worry that people may be neglecting maintenance, running their cars into the ground and then trying to get what theyc an for them.
Beware......

That contractor that "jumps" many be on his way out of business.

Then where your warranty be??

Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
No offense but do you honestly think the worst will be over soon? That's not unbrainwashed thinking there. The worst is yet to come. The DOW is going to drop, the bottom is going to fall out of the housing sector, unemployment is going up. Sorry but you and your brother need to prepare for the inevitable.
He said 'hopefully'. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. I'm sick of hearing such pessimism.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:10 PM

563 posts, read 1,286,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
as a self employed carpenter I have more new work. the fly by night idiots are bankrupt or left town and either took their Mexicans with them or abandoned them. sometimes it is a good thing to flush out the system and get rid of the slime. us longtime pros are finally getting a break from the hacks
good for you, there will always be people who will pay a bit extra for good work/product, but, on the other hand, in though economic times, people will also count every penny and if necessary buy the cheaper, china made item, or get serviced by a contractor with a lower price.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
good for you, there will always be people who will pay a bit extra for good work/product, but, on the other hand, in though economic times, people will also count every penny and if necessary buy the cheaper, china made item, or get serviced by a contractor with a lower price.
I think you hit upon one of the largest problems affecting the economy today. Americans want well made merchandise, but DEMAND low prices...and it's very difficult to have both. If we keep demanding cheap goods...then cheap goods is what we'll get.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:25 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
when carhart moved to Mexico I had to find another source of quality workwear.took 5 mins. Pointer union made and same or better quality 5 bucks cheaper carpenter pants

Old 10-25-2010, 12:29 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think you hit upon one of the largest problems affecting the economy today. Americans want well made merchandise, but DEMAND low prices...and it's very difficult to have both. If we keep demanding cheap goods...then cheap goods is what we'll get.
Even before the economy took a nose dive, Americans were demanding low prices.....we are truly getting what we paid for, are we not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies