Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

This is a phrase that one politician- Mitch McConnell- seems to use quite a bit. Everytime the man is on TV, he always mentions "the government take over of student loans" and how he wants to reverse that.
I can see Americans now demanding that we reverse the government take over of student loans. College students all over America are saying "we demand you allow us to pay the big banks their 3% vig on our loans".
The FACT is that the government has ALWAYS ran student loans. The government gaurenteed them and the big banks made the loans at no risk at all to them and charged an extra 3 points interest on them. They profiteered at the cost of students and parents. If the big banks wish to make NON government backed student loans, they are still certainly free to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
The GOP is so dumb.

Cut out the middle man and make loans cheaper for students.

Sounds fair to me.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The GOP is so dumb.

Sounds fair to me.
However this is not expected to make student loans cheaper for students. It is just another way for the government to nationalize an industry and make money while growing the size of the government.

Oh, the nationalization of the student loan industry cost Sally Mae 2,500 jobs also added approx. $52 Billion to the federal deficit.

But, we know Obama isn't serious about Americans having jobs in the private sector anyway. Remember, he wasn't going to rest until...........

If this was such a good thing and "transparent" why was it buried in 2000+ pages of "healthcare reform" ?

Old 10-24-2010, 10:10 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
However this is not expected to make student loans cheaper for students. It is just another way for the government to nationalize an industry and make money while growing the size of the government.

Oh, the nationalization of the student loan industry cost Sally Mae 2,500 jobs also added approx. $52 Billion to the federal deficit.

But, we know Obama isn't serious about Americans having jobs in the private sector anyway. Remember, he wasn't going to rest until...........

If this was such a good thing and "transparent" why was it buried in 2000+ pages of "healthcare reform" ?
I have continued to wonder what college student loans have to do with health care other than a sneaky way to take over that business and earn some votes from students who can't see what was done.

How many other interesting things will appear from that law that have nothing to do with health care? Many more, I am sure. As Nasty Nancy said, "We will have to pass it (the bill) to find out what is in it. We know that not one Congressman read the bill and not one debate was held on the floor of either house.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Cut out the middle man... hey, that'll work for my car loan, too. And vaca in Oz. Maybe drop by the Taj Hotel for photo op with BarryO.

Don't need no stinkin' banks, just get that government charge card. Don't even have to pay it off til after I die, with left over social security.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:25 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have continued to wonder what college student loans have to do with health care other than a sneaky way to take over that business and earn some votes from students who can't see what was done.

How many other interesting things will appear from that law that have nothing to do with health care? Many more, I am sure. As Nasty Nancy said, "We will have to pass it (the bill) to find out what is in it. We know that not one Congressman read the bill and not one debate was held on the floor of either house.
? The student loans legislation wasn't inside the health care bill.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:26 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
The goal is to make college more affordable for more students. Look up the details at some responsible places.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:35 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

You mean the privatization of the student loan industry, which made my loan a commodity and forcing me to run my creditor of the month down with a stick just to make payments? They tried to claim I was in default when their address changed half a dozen times and no notice given. It took an act of congress & HESC to straighten out and get my credit cleared up. Give me a break! They only shoved the responsibility part off on gov't and kept profits for themselves. How is this different from what they did with real estate? In hindsight I wish I knew what I was up against before I took those loans out but found out sadder and wiser what games these people were playing.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:37 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
One day you're bound to realize it's the sneaky banks causing the problems.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The GOP is so dumb.

Sounds fair to me.
Cut the loans and education will become cheaper.

Why is that the university degree industry is the only one with sky high price rates?

Other industries have had to cut back, tighten their belts yet tuition just goes up and up and up. High volume isn't helping - more college students than ever and the tuition rates just climb and climb.

Why? Because they can.

Get the government out, let students get smarter about loans they make and prices could begin to fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies