Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 PM

421 posts, read 448,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
The world would be better period without religion. There's still religious wars being fought. Folks looking down on Islam for what a few people are doing but forgetting that thousands of years ago, the Crusades was going on as well as these missionaries that were spreadibg Christianity were committing genocides of people who they deemed were savages. Looks like history is repeating itself. Sad.
Its always a little, 'tricky', to say that religion causes wars. It often seems more that resource/insecurity causes war, and religion is a useful way to help justify it to people. People like to be in groups and need ideology, religon is just one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 12:37 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Let's say theoretically Islam never existed. And imagine that you still had a situation where European Jews settled in and formed a Jewish state in Palestine in the early part of the 20th Century--only the previous majority was Christian Arabs rather than Muslim. Would the Christian Palestinian Arabs then welcome with open arms a Jewish state and the partition of the region? Or would the result have been similar to what we've seen in the last 60 years--endless bloodshed and conflict over that land? It's not as if the Jews had a peaceful time in Christian Europe for over 1000 years.

In fact the founder of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) was actually a Christian Arab (Greek Orthodox) named George Habash... He initially believed in pan-Arab unity and was a pioneer in organizing and promoting modern terrorist violence including the first plane hijacking of an Israeli jet in 1968. Yet, I don't think anyone would make the claim that his support of terrorism was a result of his Christian beliefs...

There is violence in this world that is the result of Islam--but to make the claim that every sinlge event of violence or war in countries with a Muslim majority is solely the result of religion and not because of other ethnic or political conflicts isn't exactly accurate.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:52 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Perhaps in your head.
Religion pulls people apart in what I've seen of the world.
Deluded people are dangerous. There is no proof of any god thing.
Keep that in mind.

In fact, try taking guidance from your own words:

I think if you were able to take anthropology and psychology into account, the level of harshness and bitterness wouldn't be there about fellow human needs and desires.

No "proof" of a deity, true. People need to believe. And it is cruel indeed to take that from them. Maybe it could be likened to, "if one had no sight, would there still be colors? If one could not hear, would there still be sound?" A koan to ponder.

Links are not necessary when speaking in the abstract.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:19 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Christians still do practice terrorism. So do Jews, just ask Palestinians.

The point is, terrorism would still be in the world, without Islam.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 AM

Default Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Always so funny to see atheists who think they know anything of Christian beliefs. A sky spirit would be closer to Native American Indian beliefs than Christian ones. Go make fun of them for a while, if it’s not a violation of your PC playbook.

"us knows" should be "us know". I don't usually point out things like that but when you put it in a sentence with "(with any brains)" I just have to point it out.

And yet, the greatest mass murderers in the history of the world have all been atheists: Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot...

More public school teachers have sex with their students than Roman Catholic priests. I’d say the Human Secularists (a.k.a. atheists) could write the book on child-rape.

Like pure barbarism, and either anarchy or totalitarian control. Without an absolute moral right or wrong everything becomes relative. Why should I be nice to you or treat you the way I want to be treated? If there’s nothing beyond this world then I should indulge in any pleasure that I want and not care about anyone else. Legality or illegality doesn’t matter without morality. All that matters is pleasing oneself and not getting caught if something is illegal. In short, the world would look like the former Soviet Union.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Was it Timothy McVeigh or Timothy McVeigh Muhammad.

Not sure.
One thing I do know ...........You and Joy Behar need to stop listening to everything you hear about Christians!!

Timothy McVeigh: A CHRISTIAN TERRORIST...........so who might have started this rumor.......couldn't be a person who practices Islam could it.........Wonder why Mr. Farrakhan would do this???
It appears that there are some out there who have asserted the claim that the Oklahoma City Bomber Timothy McVeigh was a Christian or at the least, a self-professed Christian. This claim sadly enough, had been used in different arguments for varying ranges of issues.
For instance, Minister Louis Farrakhan, head of the Nation of Islam (NOI) in a speech at a Chicago mosque referred to how the mass media did not state that terrorist Timothy McVeigh was a Christian.
Farrakhan is quoted by Cybercast News Service (CNS) as saying:

Note the above that McVeigh “said he was an agnostic” but not only that, but that he was defiant about hell itself and remain unrepentant. Then we also find the same statement that he was an agnostic admitted by Lou Michel during a cyber interview with CNN. Lou Michel spent hours interviewing McVeigh in writing a book titled, “American Terrorist: Timothy McVeigh and the Oklahoma City Bombing”. Michel’s words are enlightening:

Lou Michel: McVeigh is agnostic. He doesn't believe in God, but he won't rule out the possibility. I asked him, â€What if there is a heaven and hell?’
He said that once he crosses over the line from life to death, if there is something on the other side, he will -- and this is using his military jargon – â€adapt, improvise, and overcome.’ Death to him is all part of the adventure.

Timothy McVeigh was not a Christian and for people to continue to lie and spread the rumor is your own disgusting HATE for Christians. If you want honesty you need to start in your own heart and with your own self. Quit blaming those not involved.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:38 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
For instance, Minister Louis Farrakhan, head of the Nation of Islam (NOI) in a speech at a Chicago mosque referred to how the mass media did not state that terrorist Timothy McVeigh was a Christian.
Farrakhan is quoted by Cybercast News Service (CNS) as saying:
First, the Minister is ALWAYS misquoted. Second, I don't believe everything I hear. You stop believing everything your government tell you. USA think only other countries feed their citizens misinformation. HA!

My point is, McVeigh wasn't a muslim. We as Americans focus on one group of people. It's our own people disliking us as well. We'll sit and think it's the big bad muslim hating us.

I could careless about Christianity. I could careless what his beliefs are/was. You guys are bashing one religion without stopping and saying, hey, I need to clean my own. I'm not bashing Christianity. Just helping you to see the trouble in your own regilion. Anyone sayin, oh, but the priest ... It's sinful.

When you stop Priest Jacob from touching little boys, then and only then will I listen. You guys are following the Priest down the streets, like the Pied Piper piping to rats. Foolish!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
When you stop Priest Jacob from touching little boys, then and only then will I listen.
So if Paul Revere had any fault at all we should have ignored his warning about the approaching British army? To give a warning about a threat one must be perfect? Imperfections in the character or conduct of any other individual or group does not, in any way, reduce the threat posed by radical Islam, Sharia law, and its continous encroachment on the West.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
How arrogant, condescending and rude all in one post.
I don't give a crap about your god; do not offend me by your words of disdain.

Why would I have a funeral? In a church, hardly. I don't believe in a god fantasy creature, so why would I? Cremation is fine, throw me to the birds. I'll be dead, what do I care.

My money happens to be the Euro at the moment so it does not say anything about any sky-daddy on it.

How absolutely offensive you are.
"Aging Hippie" says it all; no clue back then, or now.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:55 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Well this thread started off as an interesting discussion...and now it's jumped the shark.

Maybe it should be restarted in the history forum where one can actually get some worthwhile commentary.

Last edited by Deezus; 10-28-2010 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies