Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 01:27 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,889 times

Advertisements

I don't know how anyone can like or stand up for Obama. This man is just slapping the American people in the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:27 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
'CAuse he said that he doesn't support the rule of law, huh?

I think you must be schizophrenic, because you're hearing voices say things that they really aren't saying.
I think you're being disingenuously obtuse for the sake of political expediency. Obama makes it quite clear that anyone who supports this country's immigration laws is the enemy.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:30 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Who are the enemies the Latino voter is suppose to punish and who are the friends that are to be rewarded by their vote?

Enemies= ?

Friends= ?
I have a better question. Why are you trying to impose your answer on the question above? Isn't that the question for any voter choosing to cast his or her vote? Every voter chooses to vote for (reward) the candidate they think will best represent their interests, and in so doing that same voter chooses to vote against (punish) the candidate that doesn't represent their interests. I can't help but wonder why some people are so intent in trying to identify themselves as the enemy. We'll know who the Latino people favored after the election, and who they chose to punish. What's most important is that President Obama was encouraging them to vote, to participate, as opposed to other groups that have actively tried to discourage them from voting. I think anyone who tries to discourage others from voting should be ashamed.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:37 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
I have a better question. Why are you trying to impose your answer on the question above? Isn't that the question for any voter choosing to cast his or her vote? Every voter chooses to vote for (reward) the candidate they think will best represent their interests, and in so doing that same voter chooses to vote against (punish) the candidate that doesn't represent their interests. I can't help but wonder why some people are so intent in trying to identify themselves as the enemy. We'll know who the Latino people favored after the election, and who they chose to punish. What's most important is that President Obama was encouraging them to vote, to participate, as opposed to other groups that have actively tried to discourage them from voting. I think anyone who tries to discourage others from voting should be ashamed.
Side step all you want.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I think you're being disingenuously obtuse for the sake of political expediency. Obama makes it quite clear that anyone who supports this country's immigration laws is the enemy.
Are you saying that you support this country's immigration laws AS IS? Because I'm pretty certain that conservatives, liberals, and everyone in between thinks that we have an immigration problem in this country and that we need to change some laws. The question, except for a limited minority, is not whether we need immigration reform, but how we go about it. The numerous approaches to the problem have taken two paths, and guess what, just being a Latino doesn't mean that you are trapped on only one path. Obama spoke to a Latino audience. He reiterated his commitment to immigration reform, and only asked that people go out and VOTE. He didn't tell them who the "enemy" was. So, the people here who keep on complaining that they are the "enemy" are labeling themselves, all by themselves. No one is doing that for them.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I have a better question. Why are you trying to impose your answer on the question above? Isn't that the question for any voter choosing to cast his or her vote? Every voter chooses to vote for (reward) the candidate they think will best represent their interests, and in so doing that same voter chooses to vote against (punish) the candidate that doesn't represent their interests.
If Obama had made the statement in isolation, perhaps. But he didn't. The context of Obama's statement branding other Americans as 'enemies' is in the illegal immigration issue.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Side step all you want.
It's not a side-step. You decided to call yourself the enemy. No one else did.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that you support this country's immigration laws AS IS? Because I'm pretty certain that conservatives, liberals, and everyone in between thinks that we have an immigration problem in this country and that we need to change some laws.
No, the problem is that we're not enforcing the laws. Well, the federal government isn't enforcing the laws. They will, however, sue any state that tries to protect itself by enforcing laws the federal government refuses to enforce.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
No, the problem is that we're not enforcing the laws. Well, the federal government isn't enforcing the laws. They will, however, sue any state that tries to protect itself by enforcing laws the federal government refuses to enforce.
^^^ This!

For the record, I am against amnesty for those who have crossed our borders illegally or remained here illegally beyond their visas. In fact, I am against citizenship for any who have shown criminal disregard for our immigration laws.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
If Obama had made the statement in isolation, perhaps. But he didn't. The context of Obama's statement branding other Americans as 'enemies' is in the illegal immigration issue.
I agree. He didn't make the statement in isolation. He also didn't name anyone an "enemy". The people here complaining that they are the "enemy" named themselves. They don't favor the path Obama favors. But that doesn't mean that everyone in that audience favors the path Obama favors, either. Obama left it to the people in that audience to decide who they wanted to vote for and who they didn't. He left it to them to decide what their viewpoint is. Some people on this thread don't seem to agree that it's a choice for that audience, they act like the choice is already made, and it's univeral. It isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies