Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Yes. Shipping jobs out when Americans are not competitive has worked absolute wonders for manufacturing.
I didn't say it was good for the industry in question (American healthcare providers). I said it put downward pressure on prices. That is good for the industry CONSUMERS. If the industry wants to recapture those customers they simply have to lower prices. They already have the geographic advantage in that on one wants to fly hlafway around the world for an identical product one can get in one's own town.
American manufacturing has just not done this. The main reason is that they bear a large legacy cost of union contracts and large pensions. This is not the case with the Americna healthcare system. There is no reason not to expect insurnace prices to come down with increased flight of customers to other parkets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 02:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Excellent - thank you! We agree!

The definition above (that you quoted from Common good - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) fits very well. Later in the same Wikipedia entry appears this:
The common good is often regarded as a utilitarian ideal, thus representing "the greatest possible good for the greatest possible number of individuals".
In terms of this thread, the specific "good" is health care; the common good is health care for the greatest possible number of individuals. Perfect.
Since I consider you to be a thinker, Gene, would you try to explain why the cost of insurance went up so much after this law was passed? I think that I see things like everybody is the same, previous problems or not, and parents getting to keep their kids on their plans until age 26 are some of the reasons the companies raised so much. Am I wrong in thinking like that?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:17 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Since I consider you to be a thinker, Gene, would you try to explain why the cost of insurance went up so much after this law was passed? I think that I see things like everybody is the same, previous problems or not, and parents getting to keep their kids on their plans until age 26 are some of the reasons the companies raised so much. Am I wrong in thinking like that?
Here Roy, try some facts and draw your own conclusions.

Study: Employees Will Pay More For Health Insurance In 2011 - Kaiser Health News

Old 10-26-2010, 02:20 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Here Roy, try some facts and draw your own conclusions.

Study: Employees Will Pay More For Health Insurance In 2011 - Kaiser Health News
Not exactly.. Health care costs were scheduled to go up in 2011, but they are going up MORE than they were scheduled to go up because of Obama care..

Old 10-26-2010, 02:36 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Collective socialized government-run health care in against everything this country was founded on. It is against rugged individualism. It is against personal responsibility. It is against freedom of conscious and choice. Why should I have to pay for the consequences of someone else who lives a reckless lifestyle and catched AIDS? Why should I pay for someone who abuses his body for 30+ years with fatty foods and no exercise? Why should I pay for someone who is a cronic alcoholic and needs a new liver? Why?
I think you're asking a very reasonable question.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well we finally got our annual "health insurance" email today before we sign up for the next year.

First thing was an apology as HR et al tried to understand the bill and new mandates and that's why our emails went out late.
Then the explanations of what we can expect.

Besides the normal inflationary increases (I'm paraphrasing here) we will see our premiums go higher then we'd normally expect.

-Mandatory ..allowing children up to 26 to be insured and removal of caps and preventative care with no co-pays.
These increased benefits and expanded coverage will cause the additional increase over and above what we've seen in past years.
-Grandfathered plans..well not really. Seems devil is in the details and out of all the plans my company offers only 2 qualify to be grandfathered.

So in summary..if I liked what I had do I get to keep it ? NO, not with the new mandatory requirements.
Affordable premiums ? NO. While I don't know what my new premium will be (got to wait another 2 weeks before we choose) we were given the warning they'd be even higher than normal.
Someone had to cover the kids 24-26, no caps and no co-pays for preventative care.

But you just gotta figure...even with home/car insurance..the more coverage you want the more you pay only with home/car you have a choice after the mandatory minimum.

What's happened to healthcare from what I see is that the mandatory minimum has been raised so that children are defined to be up to age 26 and there is no cap on any maximum and preventative healthcare costs you no out of pocket.

Did folks think these new coverages would come for free ?
Did folks think the insurers would just absorb it ?
Did folks think companies would just absorb it ?

It was "pass the cost onto the consumer" as it has always been.

In 2 weeks I should know just how much more this will cost me each month.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not exactly.. Health care costs were scheduled to go up in 2011, but they are going up MORE than they were scheduled to go up because of Obama care..
Yup..I posted a summary of the email I got at work today.

Seems the 3 culprits for the additional increase are:

-kids now defined to 26 years old
-no caps
-no co-pay for preventative care

Old 10-26-2010, 02:47 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Passing on the cost of doing business, as I am sure you are aware, always gets passed on to the consumer. With Health Ins, the only restraint in that until 2014, will be the individual State's Ins Commissions and their willingness or ability to keep them lower. 2011 increases are basically 9-10%, previous 10 yrs, avg rate of increase 9-10%.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Passing on the cost of doing business, as I am sure you are aware, always gets passed on to the consumer. With Health Ins, the only restraint in that until 2014, will be the individual State's Ins Commissions and their willingness or ability to keep them lower. 2011 increases are basically 9-10%, previous 10 yrs, avg rate of increase 9-10%.
Well we'll see if that comes to pass.
Increased benefit and coverage also gets passed to the consumer especially if mandated.

Otherwise you know that the more you want out of insurance the more you pay and that goes with any type of insurance.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
This isnt passing on the cost of doing business, this is passing on the cost of having employees. No wonder american businesses are seeking to outsource jobs, hire independent contractors, computerize and reduce employees.. etc..

When its a cost of doing business, you do so in order to conduct business. When its an increase by the government, you do so to pay MORE TAXES...

What Democratic did you get the synopsis of "cost of business" from because they need slapped along with anyone who repeats such nonsense..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies