Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 11:40 PM

93 posts, read 130,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Why would anybody desire to own a dog that might destroy someone’s life.
I don't get it. The most dangerous dogs I ever owned were German Shepherds, and I was never relaxed when kids were around.
Kids are not aware of the danger a big dog may be. They can step on its paw, and the reaction can be brutal and their faces are on the very level of its jaws.
Seriously what will you do if ever your dog ruins a kid's life.

Lab, golden retriever, pit bull, rottweiler, chow, german shepard, husky. Any of these dogs have the potential to seriously hurt or kill a child. So just ban all dogs and that will solve the what if problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 12:29 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
For any parent to leave a 3 day old infant, unattended, on a bed with any dog (or cat) in the room is insanely stupid. That baby paid for their stupidity with its life, and now they have to live with that guilt and horror forever...this is extremely sad.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:55 AM

13 posts, read 18,243 times
Quote:
Those attributes you mentioned are present but that doesn't include the one major factor, breeders didn't want a dog that would turn on them when it was time to break them apart from the bull.
I will most definately agree that there is nothing in a properly bred pit bull that makes it predisposed to attack people, probably the opposite in fact. But they are by design a fighting machine and we should all respect that no matter what side of the argument we come down on. And for the record two of my best friends own a pit bull and she plays with my dogs and my daughter, friendly as can be. But I am always aware of the fact that if for whatever reason that dog went off on a pet or person it would be a very very serious situation.

I did also have another friend's pit go after my puppy a few years back and it happened so fast it was almost hard to believe. There was no staredown or body language or growling or anything, the door opened and that dog just went instantly for my dog's throat. To this day I haven't heard my dog make sounds like that. The owner was able to call him off and in the end there was no harm done but it really shook me at the time.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:49 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy93 View Post
I will most definately agree that there is nothing in a properly bred pit bull that makes it predisposed to attack people, probably the opposite in fact. But they are by design a fighting machine and we should all respect that no matter what side of the argument we come down on. And for the record two of my best friends own a pit bull and she plays with my dogs and my daughter, friendly as can be. But I am always aware of the fact that if for whatever reason that dog went off on a pet or person it would be a very very serious situation.

I did also have another friend's pit go after my puppy a few years back and it happened so fast it was almost hard to believe. There was no staredown or body language or growling or anything, the door opened and that dog just went instantly for my dog's throat. To this day I haven't heard my dog make sounds like that. The owner was able to call him off and in the end there was no harm done but it really shook me at the time.
I don't care if the dog sneezes bubbles and craps rosebuds...I would not allow my child to play with the dog especially since you are aware of how they can attack without cause or warning.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
For any parent to leave a 3 day old infant, unattended, on a bed with any dog (or cat) in the room is insanely stupid. That baby paid for their stupidity with its life, and now they have to live with that guilt and horror forever...this is extremely sad.
Beautifully Spoken I repped ya.

Humans bring dogs + cats in the home and domesticate them.

There was a show on NAT GEO about the end of humans but dogs survive ( in this scenario ) within 48 hours the dogs ( after realizing their owner is not around anymore and doggy food is not going to be in a dish ) mobilize PACKS meaning....

THEY know they have a better chance of survival if they are in a PACK. ( Think Wild Kingdom where the PACK of hyenas go after the Zebra) Alone the hyena can do a small amount of harm but in a PACK each hyena attacks a part of the Zebra and that's HOW they take it down.

We love our dogs but if tomorrow you DIE ( catastrophic world event ) and your dog is hungry he is goin to REVERT back to the animal kingdom and find food.

He will quickly forget domesticated ways and hunt for food again. If he is hungry enough he will ATTACK a small child or animal.

Please never forget your loving dog is an animal ...

Old 11-15-2010, 12:17 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Beautifully Spoken I repped ya.

Humans bring dogs + cats in the home and domesticate them.

There was a show on NAT GEO about the end of humans but dogs survive ( in this scenario ) within 48 hours the dogs ( after realizing their owner is not around anymore and doggy food is not going to be in a dish ) mobilize PACKS meaning....

THEY know they have a better chance of survival if they are in a PACK. ( Think Wild Kingdom where the PACK of hyenas go after the Zebra) Alone the hyena can do a small amount of harm but in a PACK each hyena attacks a part of the Zebra and that's HOW they take it down.

We love our dogs but if tomorrow you DIE ( catastrophic world event ) and your dog is hungry he is goin to REVERT back to the animal kingdom and find food.

He will quickly forget domesticated ways and hunt for food again. If he is hungry enough he will ATTACK a small child or animal.

Please never forget your loving dog is an animal ...
And how is that different than if something catastrophic like an EMP attack happened to humans? I'm sure you saw what those people that crashed in the mountains had to do and to survive they resorted to eating each other.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:27 PM

122 posts, read 200,474 times
If I have to hear another "they were bred for fighting" comment I am going to scream. What does dog fighting have ANYTHING to do with human aggression? You are talking about two polar opposites here people. Dogs that have been fought back in the day and yes even now are not human aggressive. They live peacefully amongst family and yes even other animals. I hate to break it to some of you but pit bulls are not FORCED to fight. Before anyone gets their knickers in a wad I do not condone dogfighting but do happen to know a lot about the history of it and know people who personally know Louis Colby (father John Colby). Dogmen that are old school will not take an APBT that does not want to fight and put it into a ring with a dog that wants to fight. Yes there are actually APBT's that love for nothing better to do than to scrap. Yes, it is in their blood and despite what some think this is no different than a breed of dog that hunts foxes or other animals. They do it for the enjoyment. Again, I will put emphasis on the fact that dogs that are fought lived with both children and adults alike. There are pictures to attest to this. Yet, there is no evidence of human aggression back then. This hasn't been a problem since it reared its ugly head in the 70's. Bad breeding has a lot to do with it. It's not all how you raise them.

I commented on another thread pertaining to pit bulls that I would rather have all pit bulls euthanized versus having them fall in the wrong hands. We have done a great disservice to a great breed that is one of the oldest dog breeds in existence. It deeply saddens me.

Sometimes I get so tired of trying to explain the history of the breed and getting people to understand just because the breed has a history of dogfighting does not make the breed vicious. A pit bull that attacks a human being should not exist. There is something that went very, very, wrong. As for this particular situation the mother of this child needs to go to jail for a very long time. This person had no right ever giving birth. Animals make better mothers than this person. It doesn't take much common sense to realize you never leave an infant alone with a dog EVER!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:54 PM

13 posts, read 18,243 times
Quote:
What does dog fighting have ANYTHING to do with human aggression?
It has to do with the damage they inflict when there are cases of human aggression.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:57 PM

122 posts, read 200,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy93 View Post
It has to do with the damage they inflict when there are cases of human aggression.
And there are breeds of dogs that have more pounds per square inch of jaw pressure versus APBT's.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:30 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbing68 View Post
Sometimes I get so tired of trying to explain the history of the breed and getting people to understand just because the breed has a history of dogfighting does not make the breed vicious.
This is a subject that usually fails to get discussed with an open mind...even on the dog forum, which is full of dog lovers, threads about pit bulls always end up getting closed because people can't seem to keep their emotions out of the equation, and they end up "attacking" each other.

In my experience, I have never been subjected to or witnessed a "vicious" pit bull, not even while working as a vet tech at an animal emergency center...in fact, the pit bulls were always much more agreeable when handling them (and I'm sure it really sucks to have a thermometer stuck in your rear end which is how we had to take their temps every other hour there...) than many other breeds, especially the toy breeds like chihuahuas...I have 4 chi's myself, and I can absolutely say that I would NEVER let them near any baby or child unsupervised !

The bottom line is that to leave any infant or small child alone with any animal is dangerous and irresponsible, and in this case it ended fatally. An animal is an animal is an animal...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies