Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,929,273 times

Advertisements

What sells more papers? Pit Bull kills child or Chihuahua kills child? Enough said...

How many dog attacks are actually documented? Only the ones in which someone is seriously hurt or killed. Not if the dog kills another dog, cat, etc. Plus, some states have very strict dog bite laws yet most don't. I find it interesting that so many responses are all about attacking a breed, yet who is putting the blame where it really needs to be directed? To the irresponsible parents. If someone had found the baby unattended, they would be charged with neglect yet the dog killing their baby appears to have saved them from that.

Dogs are not babysitters!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 10:56 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,943,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Touch my dog. He'd be far more favorable to you than I would with your genocidal ideals.
I don't think anyone has mentioned anything about killing pit bulls en mass.

My position on this issue is, if you want a pet, it's an excellent idea to get one that's far less likely to kill someone.

There are so many great breeds that have, over time, demonstrated a far less likelihood to kill the neighbor if it gets loose and attacks. You would think that would be a most important consideration when purchasing a family pet.

It's not just the pit bull owner and family that assumes the increased risk of serious injury or worse from a pit bull as opposed to less powerful dogs. It's the people who live nearby who also are forced to assume that risk, which is why insurance companies will drop pit bull owners or charge higher rates to insure them. It's not because insurance companies just don't like pit bulls.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,859,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned anything about killing pit bulls en mass.

My position on this issue is, if you want a pet, it's an excellent idea to get one that's far less likely to kill someone.

There are so many great breeds that have, over time, demonstrated a far less likelihood to kill the neighbor if it gets loose and attacks. You would think that would be a most important consideration when purchasing a family pet.

It's not just the pit bull owner and family that assumes the increased risk of serious injury or worse from a pit bull as opposed to less powerful dogs. It's the people who live nearby who also are forced to assume that risk, which is why insurance companies will drop pit bull owners or charge higher rates to insure them. It's not because insurance companies just don't like pit bulls.
Newsflash, many large breeds and medium dog breeds are on the "aggressive breed list" by insurance companies, including your examples of labs and goldens.

Dog Politics: List Of 75 Banned Or Restricted Breeds - Is Your Dog On The List?
1. AIREDALE TERRIER
2. AKBASH
3. AKITA
4. ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG
5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE
6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD
7. AMERICAN BULLDOG
8. AMERICAN HUSKY
9. AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
10. AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER
11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG
12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD
13. ARIKARA DOG
14. AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG
15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD
16. BELGIAN MALINOIS
17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG
18. BELGIAN TURVUREN
19. BLUE HEELER
20. BOERBUL
21. BORZOI
22. BOSTON TERRIER
23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES
24. BOXER
25. BULLDOG
26. BULL TERRIER
27. BULL MASTIFF
28. CANE CORSO
29. CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG
30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD
31. CHINESE SHAR PEI
32. CHOW-CHOW
33. COLORADO DOG
34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER
35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO
36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX
37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS
38. ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL
39. ESKIMO DOG
40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG
41. FILA BRASILIERO
42. FOX TERRIER
43. FRENCH BULLDOG
44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER
46. GREENLAND HUSKY
47. GREAT DANE
48. GREAT PYRANEES
49. ITALIAN MASTIFF
50. KANGAL DOG
51. KEESHOND
52. KOMONDOR
53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY
54. KUVAZ
55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER
56. LEONBERGER
57. MASTIFF
58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF
59. NEWFOUNDLAND
60. OTTERHOUND
61. PRESA DE CANARIO
62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN
63. PUG
64. ROTTWEILER
65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND
66. SAINT BERNARD
67. SAMOYED
68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND
69. SIBERIAN HUSKY
70. SPANISH MASTIFF
71. STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
72. TIMBER SHEPHERD
73. TOSA INU
74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD
75. WOLF SPITZ

Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 AM

[quote=lifelongMOgal;16415692]Newsflash, many large breeds and medium dog breeds are on the "aggressive breed list" by insurance companies, including your examples of labs and goldens.

That list does not indicate that insurance companies are raising rates or dropping coverage for owners of all 75 of these breeds. As stated, some are on the list b/c SOMEWHERE in the US, they are under mandatory microchip statutes or mandatory spay or neuter laws.

From what I've read, insurance companies typically use the CDC's most dangerous breed list. Is it a surprise that pit bulls are #1 on that list?

Dangerous Dogs Pose Insurance Debate

Pit Bull Type
Rottweiler
German Shepherd
Husky Type
Malamute
Wolf-Dog Hybrid
Chow Chow
Doberman
Saint Bernard
Great Dane

Old 10-27-2010, 12:15 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,859,282 times
[quote=songgirl;16416124]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Newsflash, many large breeds and medium dog breeds are on the "aggressive breed list" by insurance companies, including your examples of labs and goldens.

That list does not indicate that insurance companies are raising rates or dropping coverage for owners of all 75 of these breeds. As stated, some are on the list b/c SOMEWHERE in the US, they are under mandatory microchip statutes or mandatory spay or neuter laws.

From what I've read, insurance companies typically use the CDC's most dangerous breed list. Is it a surprise that pit bulls are #1 on that list?

Dangerous Dogs Pose Insurance Debate

Pit Bull Type
Rottweiler
German Shepherd
Husky Type
Malamute
Wolf-Dog Hybrid
Chow Chow
Doberman
Saint Bernard
Great Dane
So, in this thread you first dismiss CDC information because you claim it is not accurate and "muddies the waters" defering to your own "common sense" as superior to CDC data and now you choose to use other CDC data when it suits you arguement? That is seriously twisted logic lady!

Old 10-27-2010, 12:19 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,317,498 times
i wouldn't get a pitbull because they are hideous dogs. chicks at the dog park hate pitbulls. they love huskies though. and sheperds. and labs.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:55 AM

[quote=lifelongMOgal;16416148]
Quote:

So, in this thread you first dismiss CDC information because you claim it is not accurate and now you choose to use it when it suits you arguement? That is seriously twisted logic lady!
Yeah, you're right. Newspapers only report pit bull attack fatalities and don't report instances where other breeds of dogs kill people because it's not newsworthy. The Wikipedia list of people who were fatally attacked by dogs this year is wrong and failed to include all the people killed by Jack Russell Terriers and insurance companies are denying coverage to Labrador owners everywhere.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:10 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,830,617 times
Quote:
I'm going to give this one to Wikipedia. The CDC report muddies the water by saying that we don't know how many dogs of each breed there actually are and they mention that a large majority of attacks are not reported.

That may be true, but this isn't rocket science. I'm going to employ some common sense. When I look at the reported dog attack fatalities from numerous sources, pit bulls, invariably top the list. Rottweilers are second on every list.

As I stated before, it's not because of media bias that we hear of so many horrible pit bull attacks and fatalities, it's because Golden Retrievers and Pomeranians don't kill someone every month or two like pit bulls do.
lol @ trusting Wikipedia over a gov web site.

I have a feeling that is because the Wikipedia tells you want you want to hear.

Do you not get its hard if not really impossible to have a true count on dog bites because not everyone reports them. I've been bite. I did not report it.

To have an accurate account of the situation you need to be able to have an accurate count. Since you dont have that you are barking up a tree here. Sorry

Old 10-27-2010, 07:13 AM

[quote=songgirl;16416325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Yeah, you're right. Newspapers only report pit bull attack fatalities and don't report instances where other breeds of dogs kill people because it's not newsworthy. The Wikipedia list of people who were fatally attacked by dogs this year is wrong and failed to include all the people killed by Jack Russell Terriers and insurance companies are denying coverage to Labrador owners everywhere.
Do you understand that I can report to wikipedia that I was attacked by a pittie and wasnt but they will still add it to that list. Just because I have a thing against Pit bulls

There is many breeds of dogs that insurance companys can have an issue with not just pit bulls

Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 AM

[quote=lifelongMOgal;16416148]
Quote:

So, in this thread you first dismiss CDC information because you claim it is not accurate and "muddies the waters" defering to your own "common sense" as superior to CDC data and now you choose to use other CDC data when it suits you arguement? That is seriously twisted logic lady!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies