Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,168,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Your narrowminded thinking is very evident in your post. By saying that repubs don't like Obama you are implying that it is a racial thing. get real
99% of conservatives, and 85% of non-political americans don't like HIS POLICIES
Wealth redistribution, health care, military, immigration, gays, muslims...The list goes on and on
I don't imply. I'm not into inference and innuendo. I'm not a subliminal dude. If i think it's racial, then i'll damn well say so. So if i didn't say it, there is no need to read between any lines for words that aren't there. If i believe it, those words won't be missing...trust me.

But once again, no one addresses my main point, which is:

"They don't even believe in small government. When they say they do, i demand proof, and they can never produce it. Reagan didn't produce it, Bush I didn't produce it, and Bush II didn't produce it. Their Republican Congress didn't produce it and didn't WANT to produce it. But we're all supposed to believe that it'll be different this time....even though you can't get one damn national Republican running for office (besides Rand Paul to a small degree) to tell us how they'll demolish big government, cut spending, reign in the deficit and debt or anything else of any importance. Hell, with a Republican Congress and a Repub President they couldn't even manage to get rid of abortion!"

Forget Obama...i want someone to tell me how i'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,246,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
ANYTHING the repubs do will be a hell of a lot better that what the dems have done these past 2 years.
What THEY don't seem to understand is that the Dems in control of both houses refused to allow debate about anything, especially the things that we didn't want to see done. The Senate passed the abomination called Obamacare without any debate, anyone reading it or any Republian input at all. It was written in Harry Reid's offices by 3 or 4 Senators and more union officials than that. It is so sad and we may never know just what is in it until it blows us out of the water.

As I recall almost no Republicans voted for any of those really bad bills but some RINOs now and then. This proves that some Republicans are also progressives.

When one of THEM says that the GOP has nothing to offer they don't admit that they weren't allowed to offer anything on the worst of the bills. No debate, no amendments discussed, almost no voting. Nancy's performance on Obamacare was really something. You would have thought she had carried it by a huge majority and she barely got it passed

Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ok..since i can't get an answer from the other Rethug fan in here, i'll ask you the same thing.

Why will the Republicans be any different this time?
How about the fact that if they get control of the House they will at least be allowed to debate and offer amendments which they haven't been allowed to do the past two years? Would that make any difference in what they do?

I am hoping that they have come to see that people are tired of the same old, same old and will try to do better. They can't do worse than the Pelosi and Reid dominated Congress did.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:10 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,704,914 times
Quote:
I don't imply. I'm not into inference and innuendo. I'm not a subliminal dude. If i think it's racial, then i'll damn well say so. So if i didn't say it, there is no need to read between any lines for words that aren't there. If i believe it, those words won't be missing...trust me.

"They don't even believe in small government. When they say they do, i demand proof, and they can never produce it. Reagan didn't produce it, Bush I didn't produce it, and Bush II didn't produce it. Their Republican Congress didn't produce it and didn't WANT to produce it. But we're all supposed to believe that it'll be different this time....even though you can't get one damn national Republican running for office (besides Rand Paul to a small degree) to tell us how they'll demolish big government, cut spending, reign in the deficit and debt or anything else of any importance. Hell, with a Republican Congress and a Repub President they couldn't even manage to get rid of abortion!"

ok, I follow you now. I'd love to see some real fiscal conservatives win some seats. I can agree with your basic post...
The difference this time though will be 2 things
1. the voters are paying much more attention, so politicians will be on a short leash
2. there (hopefully) will be many newcomers/outsiders in congress come january. I don't thibnk they want to play the same old reindeer games.

I could be wrong, we'll see

Old 10-28-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:

You talk about abortion as if the Congress could just pass a law and it is gone. Not that easy at all. Yes the progressives want to be able to do just that to Supreme Court decisions but I certainly hope they never make it.

I am pretty sure that you failed to see that Harry Reid was able to use his threat of filibuster all the time from 2005 on. He threatened to use it if they tried to talk about SS with privatization anywhere around the bill and they backed off and let him get by with it. Of course, he had more than 41 people to work with and he had the same RINOs that they have now.

Although I didn't vote for Obama his politics aren't all I didn't like. I was pretty sure that he was going to have a both houses Congress and I feared his progressive beliefs more than him. I still don't know which race he is most of but I get called a racist because I didn't vote for him.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
ok, I follow you now. I'd love to see some real fiscal conservatives win some seats. I can agree with your basic post...
The difference this time though will be 2 things
1. the voters are paying much more attention, so politicians will be on a short leash
2. there (hopefully) will be many newcomers/outsiders in congress come january. I don't thibnk they want to play the same old reindeer games.

I could be wrong, we'll see
LMAO...can we say "Pollyanaish???"

Not trying to rain on your parade, but when was the last time those things you enumerated above, actually happened?

Old 10-29-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You talk about abortion as if the Congress could just pass a law and it is gone. Not that easy at all. Yes the progressives want to be able to do just that to Supreme Court decisions but I certainly hope they never make it.

I am pretty sure that you failed to see that Harry Reid was able to use his threat of filibuster all the time from 2005 on. He threatened to use it if they tried to talk about SS with privatization anywhere around the bill and they backed off and let him get by with it. Of course, he had more than 41 people to work with and he had the same RINOs that they have now.

Although I didn't vote for Obama his politics aren't all I didn't like. I was pretty sure that he was going to have a both houses Congress and I feared his progressive beliefs more than him. I still don't know which race he is most of but I get called a racist because I didn't vote for him.
You know darn well what race he is. What race would he be if you caught him breaking into your car? What would you tell the police he was?

I think we can leave it there and move on.

Again, you're not telling me why Republicans will be any different this time than they were the last time. You're only telling me about the machinations of Congress...a topic i know well enough. If Reagan and both Bush's never cut a single piece of government, and a Republican Congress spent 12 years spending like drunken sailors, why won't they do it again? The Tea Party is a testament that a large number of conservatives most definitely don't believe it, so why should I? I'm not sitting around here blaming Republicans for Obama's troubles, so i don't wanna hear this crap about how Repubs couldn't get anything done when they were in the majority because of Harry Reid and Pelosi. That's weak...and trite.

Now please...try again. I'm listening.

And one more thing...i'm tired of hearing righties complaining about being called racists because they critisize Obama. Funny, i'm a black lib Democrat and i've NEVER called a man a racist for being anti-Obama and i don't hear anyone else doing it either. This is red-herring nonsense. This has spread through the conservative movement to the point that all of you are running around saying this crap whether it's true or not....and i suspect that 90% of it isn't true. Hell, half of you don't know more than 2 black people anyway so who is calling you a racist? Stop repeating everything you hear on Hannity...okay?

Old 10-29-2010, 09:00 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,108,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Surely Obama has been one of the most centrist Democrats in a long while. Democrats and Independents alike point to instance after instance where Obama has capitulated to Republican interests and, as a result has eroded his Democratic base. At least concede that filibuster threats and outright filibusters have been a constant feature of Congressional life since 2008 and that under Obama the Republican agenda rolls on barely impeded for not having a Republican president to take the credit. Say it. I'm watching this thread and I want to see acknowledgment of Obama's good faith to the Republican cause or I will post again. Or you can abandon the thread now and skulk off to some new one to keep up the bad blood. Ingrates!

H
Since 2008? Yeah, keep holding your breath buddy. When you realize that your Democrats are no stranger to the filibuster, then and only then will any of us take you seriously.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:45 AM

58,936 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
You know darn well what race he is. What race would he be if you caught him breaking into your car? What would you tell the police he was?

I think we can leave it there and move on.

Again, you're not telling me why Republicans will be any different this time than they were the last time. You're only telling me about the machinations of Congress...a topic i know well enough. If Reagan and both Bush's never cut a single piece of government, and a Republican Congress spent 12 years spending like drunken sailors, why won't they do it again? The Tea Party is a testament that a large number of conservatives most definitely don't believe it, so why should I? I'm not sitting around here blaming Republicans for Obama's troubles, so i don't wanna hear this crap about how Repubs couldn't get anything done when they were in the majority because of Harry Reid and Pelosi. That's weak...and trite.

Now please...try again. I'm listening.

And one more thing...i'm tired of hearing righties complaining about being called racists because they critisize Obama. Funny, i'm a black lib Democrat and i've NEVER called a man a racist for being anti-Obama and i don't hear anyone else doing it either. This is red-herring nonsense. This has spread through the conservative movement to the point that all of you are running around saying this crap whether it's true or not....and i suspect that 90% of it isn't true. Hell, half of you don't know more than 2 black people anyway so who is calling you a racist? Stop repeating everything you hear on Hannity...okay?
You ask if the new repub congress will be different then the last. Do you agree or dis-agree that each dem congress was different from any other dem congress? Of course each congress is different.

The repubs took control of the house after the dems had control for 40 years. They did not know HOW to be the majority. They screwed up and we voters through them out.

Will this new house be different? We don't know. But, we do know 2 things. This new House will be much, much better than the current House. And, if they screw up again, we will through them out again.

Do I think and hope this time will be different. Damned right. We will have a lot less RINOs and more fiscal Conservatives.

No one can predict the future. We can only go with the hand that is dealt to us.

If you deny that liberals on this board and other places did not call people racist when compaining about Obama's policies you need to do some research. there is is plenty of proof out there.

I and many of my conservative friends complained about too much spending. And I don't deny it happenned. YOU also have to admit that much of the excessive spending came when dems controlled congress. you cannot absolve them from any of the blame.

Bringing the Hannity types into the conversation is not only childish but, shows your bias. Many liberals kneal to every work Chris mathews and Kieth Olb say. It does nothing to enhance the conversation.

As to your comments about Reagan a little research might change your mind'

"In an effort to balance the budget, Reagan "propose[d] budget cuts in virtually every department of government." While he cut back social programs, including school-lunch programs and payments for people with disabilities, he refused to touch Social Security and Medicare. He also advocated deregulation of certain industries in an effort to reduce the government's role in the economy, and proposed such a massive military buildup that Pentagon spending would reach $34 million an hour during his administration."

Read it all: The American Experience | Reagan | People & Events | The 1982 Recession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies