Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
He chastised the Supremes in public regarding Citizen United.
And that took some stones and some righteous anger btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Well, Tn, I don't know. I expect he was groomed and polished and a shorthand narrative created for him, but don't they all have to be in order to win anything mass?

Look at that July 2 speech, what he had had in mind to do before he had to set it aside and tend to the immediate problems. He wasn't just making that up as he went along to get votes; his entire history had been the same do-gooder stuff, on larger and larger scales. If he was groomed by corrupt people and has had to deal with corrupt people to get things done, that doesn't make him or his vision corrupt.

He's not any more a tool of Wall Street than he's had to be in order to get things done. He wasn't a lackey of business in state politics either. The financial crisis wasn't a staged opportunity to reward his WS donors. He chastised the Supremes in public regarding Citizen United. He's put regulations into place at the SEC. He's fussed in speeches about excessive compensation. The market does not trust him or Tim Geithner to work in their best interests -- watch the charts anytime Geithner or Bernanke makes a speech. (Contrary to what the RWs have been led to believe he's not handing cash and Hawaiian vacations out to the welfare queens, either.)

His administration's circumstances are not business as usual. He's had to ramp up and manage the Second Great Depression since before he took office. He's got the Bush wars and terrorism to try to contain. I suspect he knows a lot better than we do, and better than he did before he was elected, what's really going on out there, how serious it really is and what dangers we and the West truly are in. The next President (in 2012) will find out, too.

As far as effective leadership goes, I think his number one problem is in communicating with us, especially the RW base. He needs to let them know he's on their side -- cos he is -- but he doesn't tell them this in ways they can "hear". Why not! Hire a translator for heaven's sake.

I'm disappointed about the transparency business: even if it wasn't possible to accomplish everything transparently he should have apologized each time and spelled it out to us why. I'd also like to hear an honest reason why we and Mexico are in this nefarious collusion regarding immigrants and drugs. If he'd speak up honestly about that that would go a long way for him.
Well as you may be eluding to, any and every politician has to at some level accept the establishment money aspect, or they will never reach this pinnacle of politics to begin with. I don't fault Obama for having to adjoin with what I consider, often unsavory forces as whatever ones intent for good or bad, they must accept the devil as a partner.

I suppose for me it all boils down to his leadership. If the man could have campaigned on behalf of the American people only half as well as he campaign for his office, the mood of this country might be decidedly different, even if the outcome is the same.

I suspect Obama had to do a lot of things he would have rather not have done in order to keep our ship of state afloat amid the economic crash, but he failed to communicate this to the people and is now paying a price for this. Economics I have a grasp of in the most rudimentary and fundamental way, but I cannot argue for or against his actions because it is beyond my scope of understanding. His foreign policy was the primary reason I did not vote for him, even if I secretly held hopes he would surprise me. I'll save my full judgment until then end of 2011 to see if he keeps his word.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
I have a hard time buying the "failed to communicate" business.
He gave about 60 major speeches and special events devoted to Health care - he traveled to every swing state in the USA to do that ... all on our nickel. Andy of Mayberry is in a commercial none stop (all on our nickel), we saw constant scenes on the White House lawn of 'doctors' & 'nurses' carefully handed white coats to support the Obama bill. The Obama surrogates are constantly touting how great this all is, while the voters are looking at the increases in their premiums if they are lucky enough to not be cancelled. This is a disaster and it's sure not because it wasn't "communicated" properly.

How much more "communication" could he possibly have done? He is STILL giving speeches about how wondermous the "Stimulus" bill was, and we can all see clearly it was a disaster to the tune of a Trillion dollars (including interest on the money we had to borrow for it). From the Prez's own mouth recently - "there is no such thing as a shovel ready job". We've been HAD, and we know it. The loss of trust is severe.

He spends almost all his time on the road "communicating" - I guess we are just not "thinking clearly".

Last edited by Kibby; 10-27-2010 at 10:24 PM..

Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Obama has let us all down! because in reality i believe he has let himself down. NOT AS EASY AS YOU THOUGHT MR PRESIDENT HA! all the garbage talk of being that different sort of President, everyone's President, that by-partisian President, the one who was not going to spend President, the one that had our best interest in mind President, has let us all down.
I am not disappointed by President Obama. I am disappointed that a certain segment of Americans wanted President Obama to fail (and stated such) on the day that he was elected.

President Obama has a deep hole full of Bush-Hsit to pull this nation out of and there are forces that are continually shovelling more Hsit back in. There are forces within our nation that could care less if Americans suffer as long as they "get back" into power.

The supporters of the Tea Party and the Republicans are stupid. They want those who are actually responsible for taking our nation to the brink of the abyss back in control. Stupid. The evil cuts so very deep. And those people deserve a dysfunctional Tea Party style government.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
I found this to be a thoughtful essay about US politics from the UK Independent-

Johann Hari: The real reason Obama has let us all down - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent
The real reason Obama has let us all down...what's this "us" stuff from a UK columnist?

Old 10-28-2010, 12:39 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
"The Real Reason Obama Has Let Us Down"

Because he sucks and is "above his pay grade?"

Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,573 times
Quote:
I disagree with the "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" stuff to a great degree. Even the article itself makes a distinction. "These [couple of Obama accomplishments] make a real difference: they’re reason enough to vote Democratic over Republican", and praises Alan Grayson and Russ Feingold. And look at his plans for the country before the financial tsunami washed them away:

//www.city-data.com/forum/16410318-post102.html

This is not a corrupt person, but it is a corrupt structure he has to work with in order to get anything accomplished at all. I'm particularly nonplussed by Fox viewer-types who are the most egregious victims of that corruption's propaganda, and therefore its first line of enablers, who reject positive change but love to complain that nothing ever changes.
His entire life has been corrupt and it lead him to the mecca of corruption, Chicago, where he banded together with people even more corrupt to get him to the white house. It sickens me everytime I think of him there.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:51 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
His entire life has been corrupt
Really, how so.
Quote:
and it lead him to the mecca of corruption, Chicago, where he banded together with people even more corrupt to get him to the white house. It sickens me everytime I think of him there.
What an interesting story.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:29 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
His entire life has been corrupt and it lead him to the mecca of corruption, Chicago, where he banded together with people even more corrupt to get him to the white house. It sickens me everytime I think of him there.
Don't feel bad-it sickens me everytime I think of him being in Chicago.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,175 times
WHY DOES EVERYONE EXPECT OBAMA TO COME iN AND FiX EVERYTHiNG SO QUiCKLY AS IF HES "GOD" .HE DOES NOT HAVE A MAGIC WAND PEOPLE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies