Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Personally, I hate guns - they scare me and if someone broke into my house I still probably wouldn't have the guts to shoot anyone. It's just not my nature. I think it's perfectly acceptable for people to have firearms in the privacy of their own homes; however, carrying them in public is a different story to which I greatly oppose.

If more people carried guns 9 people wouldn't have died in this incident.

Murder Suicide: Hartford Connecticut Shooting at a local Budweiser Distributer - St. Louis Offender Awareness | Examiner.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
however, carrying them in public is a different story to which I greatly oppose.
I live in a State (Arizona) where carrying a firearm in the open, in public, is perfectly OK. And now, if you want to carry a firearm concealed, you do not need a permit to do so.

I carry a firearm (concealed) most of the time as does my wife. And yes, we are prepared to use them if the situation arises.

Why are you opposed to carrying a firearm in public?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:45 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
No. Owning a firearm is stupid and opens your house up to endless potential for drama. Knowing how to use one, though, is imo a life skill.
Please put a sign in your front lawn stating, "NO FIREARMS HERE".

Then your neighbor won't have to use thiers.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM

406 posts, read 495,645 times
I have a gun with me at all times, but I am also trained and licensed to do so. Since I just moved to SW Missouri in a rural area I assume that most of my neighbors have guns. Should everyone have guns, NO WAY! There are way too many idiots out there that should never own a gun.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
"owning a firearm is stupid"................... and I suppose that all firearm owners are dumb poopy pants poddy heads?

Another brilliant analysis and commentary by a liberal that reveals the depth of thought among those who carry that banner. It is curious, however, that they continually refer to others as "stupid", while rarely displaying any evidence to suggest that they are anything more than what they continually condemn.

We have alot of guns. ALOT. Should everyone own a gun? In theory, if we believe gun ownership is for the purpose that Jefferson described- yes. However, few take the time to practice proper gun safety and use of firearms, therefore ownership in the hands of a novice is more problematic than good.

If you plan to own a weapon-

1. seek property gun safety training
2. practice the use of the weapon
3. be familiar with the complete takedown, re-assembly, and cleaning of the weapon
4. get a gun safe
You seem to have used this thread to stereotype all liberals as raving anti gunners. Your agenda is showing. I'm a liberal and I am a collector of fine firearms and carry one pretty much everywhere. I live in Arizona and congregate with many liberals, all who are staunch 2nd Amendment advocates. I live in a rural desert area and yes I carry on my property exclusively. I also have a short barrelled shotgun(8" barrel with BATFE stamp) that is for indoor home defense and a registered, transferable, full auto 9mm(HKMP5) with a can. My firearm collection started back in the early 70s. All us F/A owners get together 3 or 4 times a year and have a hell of a good time shooting up the desert. The women bring fried chicken and potato salad and get in line to shoot the MA Deuce.

Your blanket statement concerning liberals and guns is patently wrong. A large percentage of us are armed to the teeth and know how to use them.

Last edited by mohawkx; 10-27-2010 at 11:04 AM..

Old 10-27-2010, 11:00 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,179 times
Wow - lots of interesting positions here. One factor that I will add is that Colorado has a 'make my day' law, which allows you to use deadly force to protect your home property. Perhaps this is why there are more armed people than other places as well.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:06 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
“The right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country.”

Quote James Madison

26 Step FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE

1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.
3. Colt: The original point and click interface.
4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.
5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?
6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
7. "Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
8. If you don't know your rights you don't have any.
9. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.
10. The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
11. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
12. The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.
13. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.
14. Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.
15. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.
16. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.
17. 911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.
18. Assault is a behavior, not a device.
19. Criminals love gun control -- it makes their jobs safer.
20. If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.
21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.
22. You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
23. Enforce the "gun control laws" we ALREADY have, don't make more.
24. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.
25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
26. "A government of the people, by the people, for the people..."

And just a couple of closing thoughts

Police do not protect you from crime,
they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter...don't mind...And those that mind...don't matter.'

Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I participated in postal shoots through 4H growing up and I live in a very rural area, where people leave their cars and houses unlocked and don't worry about it. I'm extremely liberal and probably know how to handle a gun better than most of the 'manly men' who brag about owning a big scary gun like it's some kind of penis extension.

Regardless, my guns (I have three) are kept unloaded, locked in a gun safe in my closet, while the ammo is in a different safe in a storage closet in the kitchen. If an intruder DID break into my house, I doubt I'd be able to get a gun and load it in time to get him anyway. So, I have a Louisville Slugger next to my bed and in all honestly, could probably do more damage with that thing than a gun

Not much scarier than a 6'1 sleepy, pissed off woman coming at you with a solid wood baseball bat.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I agree, except for the prostate check. I have a few years before I need to do that.

A lot of sex is known to keep it healthy.

For other drama that can occur, firearms can keep you healthy also.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:15 AM

17,397 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Yes I own a gun - and have a license to carry a concealed weapon.

Whether or not a household should be armed should be left up to the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies