U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:08 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,538,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
As a self employed individual, I have to make similar budgets. They are very real.. You can ignore it but that doesnt mean it isnt taking place in thousands of boardrooms across the nation. Do you have anything to indicate the story is a lie? I'm supposed to take YOUR word over people that do budgets.. right.. got it..
Many people are Uncle Toms for corporations and the rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest
Wages continue to increase despite your claims. Even in todays economic hardship they go up.. Table 5. COMPENSATION (NOT SEASONALLY ADJUSTED): Employment Cost Index for total compensation, for private industry workers, by occupational group and industry

Do you want to post something factual, or do you want to keep making up arguments as you go along that are false?

Your table is the "employment cost index."

Compare that to the following:

Economy’s Gains Fail to Reach Most Workers’ Paychecks

Also, compare the following: http://www.epi.org/briefingpapers/195/bp195_figure_c.jpg (broken link)

With chicken little scare tactics from corporations that "oh my god, a slight increase in taxes means we're going to have to cut wages!!!" the above graphic is really telling, isn't it?

FACE IT: The American worker is being exploited and fleeced. Productivity is up, wages are stagnant and not keeping up with profits or corporate earnings.

Also, you fail to address the original question: Was there a proportionate increase in real worker wages when tax cuts were implemented? If not, then obviously, "corporations" are not pegging wages to the tax rate, unless it works to their advantage. Preservation of profits over people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 12:10 PM

20,003 posts, read 17,026,819 times
Is there a Godwin's law for the term "Uncle Tom"?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 PM

33,415 posts, read 30,785,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Repubs seem to base all their political attacks on what MAY happen if................ I call that "Chicken Little Politics". The entire platform is based on fear mongering.
and the democrats dont? get real BOTH sides use fear based politics.

Quote:
My prediction is that right after the election the democratic plan will pass in a lame duck session with the necessary votes in Congress. Bottom 98% will get a continuation of the Bush tax cuts. The rest.........it's time to pay the piper.
Quote:
Dems don't have the votes now because of Republican obstructionism. Last thing repubs want is for Obama to save the cuts for 98% of the voting population right before an election. After the election, there will be many lame duck senators and congressmen who will forego the party line and vote for the limited extension. Count on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Let me get this straight:

The Democrats want to keep the tax cuts for the little people and the Republican's are blocking that bill to make sure the wealthy get to keep theirs.

And it's the Democrats fault?
in regards to republicans blocking a bill to extend bush era tax cuts for 98% of the wage earners, hogwash. all tax bills have to originate in the house of representatives, and the speaker of the house is the one that controls the agenda. and speaker pelosi has NEVER put a tax cut extension bill on the table for a vote because there IS NO BILL. the democrats have never written one.

the republicans have continually called for a bill so that an up or down vote could be taken. had the democrats actually produced a bill, and passed it, they would have been able to run on cutting taxes for the middle class, but like clinton, they dont want tax cuts of any kind. and dont give me the crap about obama cutting taxes in the stimulus package, that was just playing with payroll taxes, they did not change the income tax rates for the years end.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:39 PM

13,779 posts, read 8,820,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and the democrats dont? get real BOTH sides use fear based politics.

in regards to republicans blocking a bill to extend bush era tax cuts for 98% of the wage earners, hogwash. all tax bills have to originate in the house of representatives, and the speaker of the house is the one that controls the agenda. and speaker pelosi has NEVER put a tax cut extension bill on the table for a vote because there IS NO BILL. the democrats have never written one.

the republicans have continually called for a bill so that an up or down vote could be taken. had the democrats actually produced a bill, and passed it, they would have been able to run on cutting taxes for the middle class, but like clinton, they dont want tax cuts of any kind. and dont give me the crap about obama cutting taxes in the stimulus package, that was just playing with payroll taxes, they did not change the income tax rates for the years end.
rbohm, having read many of your posts, I conclude you are a very intelligent individual. That being said you must know how Congress works. Internal polling of our Congress shows that certain bills won't make it through. The Dem tax cut extension is one of them. Sure, Republicans want an up or down vote so they and the vulnerable blue dogs can kill it. But Pelosi and the Dems are too smart for that. They'll wait until the election is over and then the blue dogs and lame ducks will vote for the 98% package they want. In politics, results matter. How you get there is secondary. I'm taking bets right now that the 98% package will become law prior to the newly elected congress taking office.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:55 PM

33,415 posts, read 30,785,239 times
Quote:
rbohm, having read many of your posts, I conclude you are a very intelligent individual. That being said you must know how Congress works. Internal polling of our Congress shows that certain bills won't make it through. The Dem tax cut extension is one of them. Sure, Republicans want an up or down vote so they and the vulnerable blue dogs can kill it. But Pelosi and the Dems are too smart for that. They'll wait until the election is over and then the blue dogs and lame ducks will vote for the 98% package they want. In politics, results matter. How you get there is secondary. I'm taking bets right now that the 98% package will become law prior to the newly elected congress taking office.
i do understand how things get done in congress, i also know spin when i hear it, and since no bill was even introduced in committee, there is no way the democrats can truly claim that the republicans are blocking the bill. if the democrat leadership said the republicans were trying to block the effort, that is a different story. as to whether the dem tax cut plan comes to a vote, it likely will. will it be passed? perhaps, but the fact is that if the democrats had put up a bill, they would only need 218 votes to pass the bill, and chances are that it would have passed without republican support, and that would have been quite the campaign coup for the democrats.

instead they fell back on the tired old, "the republicans are blocking everything" argument. but lets say that they did put a bill up for a vote, and it was defeated, and the republicans did vote against the bill, again the democrats would have had quite the campaign coup as well, "hey we did what the republicans wanted, and put a bill up for a vote, and they blocked it."

Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 PM

13,779 posts, read 8,820,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i do understand how things get done in congress, i also know spin when i hear it, and since no bill was even introduced in committee, there is no way the democrats can truly claim that the republicans are blocking the bill. if the democrat leadership said the republicans were trying to block the effort, that is a different story. as to whether the dem tax cut plan comes to a vote, it likely will. will it be passed? perhaps, but the fact is that if the democrats had put up a bill, they would only need 218 votes to pass the bill, and chances are that it would have passed without republican support, and that would have been quite the campaign coup for the democrats.

instead they fell back on the tired old, "the republicans are blocking everything" argument. but lets say that they did put a bill up for a vote, and it was defeated, and the republicans did vote against the bill, again the democrats would have had quite the campaign coup as well, "hey we did what the republicans wanted, and put a bill up for a vote, and they blocked it."
Well, if the truth be known, the Blue Dog democrats were the fly in the ointment in this matter. The Democratic party is protecting the blue dogs prior to the election by not calling the question and putting them on the spot with their constituents. After the election the blue dogs can swing with the party on this issue. Pure politics, I admit.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:41 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,816,068 times
“The bulk of our employees don’t understand” the coming tax debate in Congress, Moser said. “When they see this type of thing happening they go into panic mode. They don’t follow what’s going on.”

“We’re kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place,” said Ron Moser, head of human resources for the school district of Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda, New York, which pays about 1,900 teachers, custodians and aides each month. In upstate New York, where winter heating costs are among the highest in the country, many school employees earn between $20,000 and $40,000 a year, he said, and losing $50 in a paycheck is “a significant dollar amount.”

President Barack Obama and most Democrats want tax cuts extended for middle-income earners and to end for the wealthiest Americans, the top 2 or 3 percent of earners.

I get it . He wants the cuts stopped for the top percent of earners and this will increase the taxes of someone who makes $20,000 a year by $2600 dollars. That's interesting. So, byt stopping the tax cuts, he will actualyb raising the taxes on someone making $20K a year by 7.6 percent. Which makes no sense....at all. $50 bucks a week for someone who is at or close to poverty level?

That ain't gonna happen, bro.

The 2009 Poverty Guidelines for the
48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia
Persons in familyPoverty guideline
1 $10,830
2 14,570
3 18,310
4 22,050
5 25,790
6 29,530
7 33,270
8 37,010

For families with more than 8 persons, add $3,740 for each additional person.

2009 Federal Poverty Guidelines

Old 10-27-2010, 06:16 PM

5,508 posts, read 4,845,818 times
Quote:
Repubs seem to base all their political attacks on what MAY happen if................ I call that "Chicken Little Politics". The entire platform is based on fear mongering.
The massive tax increase WILL take effect if the Omama administration doesn't take pro-active steps to keep the Bush Tax Cuts. And after the Dems get routed in the election by Americans disgusted to find that massive government overspending didn't help the economy one iota, I doubt Obama will be anything but vindictive towards taxpayers.

Loss of the Tax Cuts is the default. How is that fear mongering or "Chicken Little Politics"?

I don't know about you, but if my taxes are increased by the $200 a week estimated, AND I add that to the much higher co-pays and reduced health insurance benefits, we'll pretty much have reached the point where we work to pay for Big Government and the high living expenses of our area.

Is that worth both of us working 80 hours a week in high-stress jobs? Nope. Going Galt, and I hope the vast majority of productive Americans do so also.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:45 PM

86,067 posts, read 78,594,775 times
Well IRS and Treasury are in a hoovering mode.
Normally the tax tables for the next year go out mid November.
NO WAY will Congress get anything done.
They've been talking about this and sitting on the fence on this since August if not before.

Rather than rush..they should just extend it all for 1 year and work out something FEASIBLE and FAIR to all for 2012.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:46 PM

30,835 posts, read 18,713,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Those of you who dont think high taxes affect you.. Let me know how a lower paycheck might work out for you...

Employers in U.S. Start Bracing for Higher Tax Withholding - Bloomberg

Biggest tax INCREASE in the history of our country will hit almost every working American on Jan 1.

Thanks Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies