Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 04:47 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post

The illusion of diversity America loves to live on is mind boggling.
I have seen quite a bit of the US and more than anything, I have met many, many people from ALL OVER the US - and I have seen anything but diversity in essence.
America is more diverse than any of the 20 or 25 countries I have visited.

You should get to other counties and see how little diversity exists in most of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 04:55 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Travel to other countries might provide a wider perspective in the hope to quell the infinite whining and complaining about this nation's alleged ills.
This nation's "alleged" ills are extremely rarely visible or tangible to someone born and raised here; so why would they be visible to you?

There is a reason why many immigrants insist on staying here once they arrive and see that their material status has indeed improved, be it at the cost of their overall humanity, well-being and spiritual satisfaction. (Never mind that the improvement in material status is only on the surface, with lots of debt to show for it; but let's just say they live materially better than they were at home).

Deep down, they know their children will never feel what they feel as they will have been "integrated" (to be read "numbed") from day 1 - and will only get to experience the joys of "material advantages", minus the suffering from spiritual loss. Their children won't experience spiritual loss; just spiritual void - and "void" never hurts.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:01 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
LOL, I wish they would hand this out at our southern boarder....

Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
This nation's "alleged" ills are extremely rarely visible or tangible to someone born and raised here; so why would they be visible to you?

There is a reason why many immigrants insist on staying here once they arrive and see that their material status has indeed improved, be it at the cost of their overall humanity, well-being and spiritual satisfaction. (Never mind that the improvement in material status is only on the surface, with lots of debt to show for it; but let's just say they live materially better than they were at home).

Deep down, they know their children will never feel what they feel as they will have been "integrated" (to be read "numbed") from day 1 - and will only get to experience the joys of "material advantages", minus the suffering from spiritual loss. Their children won't experience spiritual loss; just spiritual void - and "void" never hurts.

And how did you develop this vast insight to the lives of millions of immigrants? Did this happen to you? Is that the source of your anger?

Old 10-28-2010, 05:11 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
An interesting article but a touch harsh.
One point that is noticeable, one sees very few young Americans on holiday in other countries doing the young thing, getting smashed , etc etc etc.
Do young Americans live to work ?

America
Only the rich get to vacation abroad.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Only the rich get to vacation abroad.

Not true at all. Some of my children vacation abroad almost every year and they are nowhere near rich. It's called living within your means and saving for things you really want to do.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:14 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Well I just had a chance to read the linked article in full. I think the guy has a chip on his shoulder toward America and is not accurate in many things he said although he made a couple valid points.

America is not a bad place at all, it has a lot of good things about it. But that doesn't mean other places don't also and that someone living somewhere else can't be happy and can't be happy because they aren't a American. I think some Americans need to stop and realize that.

Ever been driving down the road and you passed a back packer walking along the road. He may have looked homeless and grungy and your first thought might have been he is a loser in life or mentally unstable. And that could be true but, what if not? What if he is living the way he wants, under his terms and totally free for himself away from the things that sometimes worry us, bring us down and stress us. Maybe everyday he sees and experiences things in life that pass some of us over because some of us are consumed in stress, deadlines, time, keeping what we got or getting more, and bills. Maybe while some of us are passing on life now for a plan for tomorrow, for a tomorrow that may never happen he is filling a treasure box of life experience right now everyday seeing places in slow motion and meeting people (maybe good people) that most of us wouldn't even bother to say hi to because we are consumed with ourselves.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
LOVE Italy! I could get very happy there with enough money.
No kidding.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And how did you develop this vast insight to the lives of millions of immigrants? Did this happen to you? Is that the source of your anger?
By talking to them and observing them.
Fool proof.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:22 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
As someone above said: Americans have a huge nation to do that. Go to Yosemite and you'll see dozens of young Americans hiking the backcountry. Go to the California coast and there are thousands of young Americans living the high life surfing, swimming, sunning and enjoying life.
Personally, I live in New England and when I want a tropical experience, I can travel 3.5 hours by plane and be in South Florida or 5 hours and be in Antigua. If i want skiing, snowmobiling I travel to Vermont. If I want rocky coasts with quaint seafaring villages I travel 3 hours by car to Maine.

The point being people who live in tiny nations need to travel outside their borders to experience life. We Americans do not. Especially a nation like Israel which is the size of Delaware.
Australia is not tiny.
In population yes.

Yet we travel alot. Even though it costs a lot to get out of here - even if it takes 20+ hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies